PDA

View Full Version : Can you top this Metal bass solo?

Mayhem Released
04-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Starts around 3:36 (To be specific this is Grindcore)

YouTube- DYING FETUS - "Homicidal Retribution"

Neverender
04-03-2010, 12:54 AM
The bass solo wasn't that great, but the drummer was pretty awesome during the solo.

Could I do better? Probably not. John Myung is much better, though:
YouTube- Solo John Myung The Dance of Eternity
Live video of win.

Mayhem Released
04-03-2010, 01:05 AM
As of talent, John wins. As of a catchy tune...well my terrible ears couldn't really hear it haha, but good job on that one.

Volzagia
04-03-2010, 01:11 AM
YouTube- Metallica - Anestesia Pulling Teeth

I win :woop:

Mayhem Released
04-03-2010, 01:15 AM
I knew someone was going to put up Metallica haha. Although I was expecting Call of Cthulu, major win for picking something unexpected.

SharksInYourMouth
04-03-2010, 01:19 AM
I didn't really like the bass solo by Dying Fetus, wasn't that good IMO.

YouTube- Johnny Christ recording bass for their new album " City of Evil"

:) Avenged Sevenfold - Blinded In Chains (Bass Solo)
Go to 0:33 if you just want to hear the bass solo

Mayhem Released
04-03-2010, 01:26 AM
That was good, I never did like Avenged Sevenfold much, but nice one for finding only the bass recording.

Tussell
04-03-2010, 01:55 AM
Dying Fetus is Death Metal... Not Grindcore. Hahaha what made you think they were Grindcore?

Mayhem Released
04-03-2010, 01:58 AM
Simply because of their lack of morbid lyrics which is what Death Metal mostly composes of. Although in the 1990's they were Death Metal, not anymore with though since they changed to political lyrics.

Massa Siggy
04-03-2010, 02:04 AM
I'm with Tussell, they can't be Grindcore. The song is longer than 2 minutes. :p
Not my cup of tea, but it was alright.

Tussell
04-03-2010, 02:14 AM
Simply because of their lack of morbid lyrics which is what Death Metal mostly composes of. Although in the 1990's they were Death Metal, not anymore with though since they changed to political lyrics.
They're not Grindcore, no matter how you put it.

IMport
04-03-2010, 02:26 AM
YouTube- WINDS OF PLAGUE - The Impaler (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

I lose, but one of my fav bands

Gorilla Stomper
04-03-2010, 03:14 AM
YouTube- Origin - The Aftermath (bass)

/thread.

Joker0fLife
04-03-2010, 07:39 AM
I dunno if you wanted to stay with metal but here's one of the classiest bass players there is (Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers)

YouTube- flea bass solo 4

and another solo from some random dude in the streets slappin bass

YouTube- Amazing Bass Guitar Player! Gustavo Dal Farra

tha skarekrow
04-03-2010, 07:44 AM
I knew someone was going to put up Metallica haha. Although I was expecting Call of Cthulu, major win for picking something unexpected.
are you serious? unexpected? it's impossible to use the word 'metal' and 'bass' in the same sentence without some metallica kiddie busting through your wall brandishing a link to anesthesia.

Burning Karma
04-03-2010, 04:50 PM
YouTube- Metallica - Anestesia Pulling Teeth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iOmo0ZuyNk)

I win :woop:
*hi-5's*
You do indeed win, good sir. You do indeed.

dirge
04-03-2010, 06:44 PM
I dunno if you wanted to stay with metal but here's one of the classiest bass players there is (Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers)

YouTube- flea bass solo 4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ImKQ53C-I&feature=related)

and another solo from some random dude in the streets slappin bass

YouTube- Amazing Bass Guitar Player! Gustavo Dal Farra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy3V2Tl4g3s&feature=related)

I'm a metal fan but those two vids there make metal bassists look like beginners! Always wanted to learn bass and seeing the bass played like them almost always makes me want to trade my guitar in for a bass guitar.

galson
04-04-2010, 08:47 PM
John Myung definately is a bass god. Dream Theater consists of musicians who basically mastered their instruments, they've no secrets to them anymore.

And here's a very good bass cover of Panic Attack by DT. The intro is unreal and def tops the solo in the first post to me.

YouTube- Dream Theater - Panic Attack (Bass Cover)

Joker0fLife
04-05-2010, 02:49 AM
The intro is unreal and def tops the solo in the first post to me.

YouTube- Dream Theater - Panic Attack (Bass Cover) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH9-FFvup-4)

If your talking about the OP, that Panic Attack solo is just as simple...

tribus
05-01-2010, 04:49 PM
2GOD BD GLORY (bass solo) www.myspace.com/carlossototribus (http://www.myspace.com/carlossototribus)

DOOKH8R
05-01-2010, 05:10 PM

Ask and you shall receive

YouTube- Metallica - The Call Of Ktulu (Live with CLIFF BURTON)

However, Anesthesia is unbeatable

YouTube- Cliff Burton - Bass Solo - Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)

PerpetualHeaven
05-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Pulling Teeth is not too shabby. It only became really famous because Cliff Burton is one of the first guys to make his bass sound like an electric guitar. It's a pretty slick bass solo but there's much better.

Joker did a great job showing the guy off the street. That's real music right there. Fantastic musicality. Also, Galson posting up Panic Attack was a great one, too.

Outside of that, I think the OP's example of a great bass solo is kind of shoddy. It wasn't very good, I don't think. Also, the bass solo by Origin was cool but it doesn't have the bass feel and it acts more like a guitar.

Anyways, Victor Wooten is probably the best bass player in the world at the moment. The first few seconds of this video has a pretty slick quick solo:

YouTube- Victor Wooten Prosessions

Can't have this thread without YYZ by Geddy Lee. Basically anything he does in any song is admirable:

YouTube- Geddy Lee bass line to YYZ

Also, who can forget Les Claypool from Primus? Here's some funk:

YouTube- Les Claypool-Bass solo

And, lastly, Steve Harris (this is a cover of him, though):

YouTube- IRON MAIDENーPHANTOM OF THE OPERA BASS COVER

DOOKH8R
05-02-2010, 04:15 AM
Less you forget the genius that was John Entwistle, even in his final days

YouTube- John Entwistle "The Ox" Bass Solo (5:15)

longer
YouTube- John Entwistle bass solo

Magic Coletrain
05-03-2010, 10:08 PM
No Metallica's Orion?

i know its not all bass but

it's amazing

Montyfang
05-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Rather quick, but Not the less beastly.

4:12

YouTube- Dragonforce Body Breakdown

I had to Do it.

YouTube- megadeth bass solo

That's all I got for now really. I'll update this after I run through my Music a few times.