PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on Game Room prices

MACdanstaface
04-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Like many on this forum, I love the concept of Game Room, but feel the prices are outrageous for 20-30 year old games (especially given the fact that most licenses for these games must now be in the public domain). I'd also be curious to know what the rationale is for selling these games 240 MS pts a piece (or 400 on both 360 & PC).

I was wondering if anybody had some info as to whether Microsoft was planning on making "bundle" prices - I personally feel that 1000 MS pts for 10 games would be reasonable (although not cheap), and would then considering going for 1000G. Especially given the fact that I'm not quite sure if lvl. 40 will be required to get the "Fancy Arcade" achievement - but I believe/hope that new themes will be released in future packs.

In the current state of affairs, I feel Game Room is kind of a rip off price-wise. I already read elsewhere that MS business practices are not always oriented towards providing good products/services for a fair price, and I'm starting to worry that Game Room might just be another example of this...

OneSweetShannon
04-04-2010, 03:19 PM
I'll prepare for the attacks, as mine is not a popular opinion... I think these are a bargain -- if you enjoy playing the game. I grew up playing in arcades when plays were $0.25-$0.50. Paying $3 on a game during just one visit to an arcade was not uncommon. For $3 I can own the game forever and play as much as I want.

I said in another thread, that if you are playing just for the points and don't enjoy the games, then it's not worth it. I also think the appeal will be greater for those of us who are in our mid-late-30's and up, who very well remember playing these (not to mention probably have more disposable income.) Younger people could easily look at these as shit games that are overpriced, but my generation experienced these as something exciting and high-tech for the time. There is a nostalgia factor that adds to the value for me.

MACdanstaface
04-04-2010, 03:34 PM
I think these are a bargain -- if you enjoy playing the game. I grew up playing in arcades when plays were $0.25-$0.50. Paying $3 on a game during just one visit to an arcade was not uncommon. For $3 I can own the game forever and play as much as I want.
(...) There is a nostalgia factor that adds to the value for me.

There's also the nostalgia factor for me, and I undoubtedly spent throughout the years much more than it would cost me to get hundreds of games on Game Room. Emotions aside, the prices charged for the games in no way reflect today's value. I can't remember the price of an Atari 2600 game in the days, but I'm sure as hell not spending 240MS pts on California Games or Kung Fu Master in 2010 (but great games)...

As for the 1000G, I don't think there is a single achievement perfectionist who would go for completion without loving the games (it's hard for me to imagine someone born in the 90s spend 36 hours on Asteroids...). As for me, as I said, I love the concept, but I expect to pay a fair price for the games I'm playing.

Edit
Scrap that: I'd pay 240MS for Kung Fu Master...

halfiepint
04-04-2010, 03:49 PM
I think some of the games are worth the price and some are not.

Astrosmash was worth all 240 points. Armor Battle, why ANYONE would pay 240 pts is beyond me. Pitfall, River Raid, etc would be worth 240 points.

I think 40 points for single play is a rip off, especially when they time you out after 10 minutes. Might as well buy the full game so you can play as much as you want.

linktriforce007
04-04-2010, 04:31 PM
There's also the nostalgia factor for me, and I undoubtedly spent throughout the years much more than it would cost me to get hundreds of games on Game Room. Emotions aside, the prices charged for the games in no way reflect today's value. I can't remember the price of an Atari 2600 game in the days, but I'm sure as hell not spending 240MS pts on California Games or Kung Fu Master in 2010 (but great games)...

As for the 1000G, I don't think there is a single achievement perfectionist who would go for completion without loving the games (it's hard for me to imagine someone born in the 90s spend 36 hours on Asteroids...). As for me, as I said, I love the concept, but I expect to pay a fair price for the games I'm playing.

Edit
Scrap that: I'd pay 240MS for Kung Fu Master...

Born in 10/1990. I'm not a big arcade junkie, but I'd rather have a fun 1000 and enjoy my trip there than pick up Avatar: Burning Earth or Hannah Montana.

Vivi
04-04-2010, 08:43 PM
I think the Atari and Intellivision games should be cheaper. But the arcade games are worth the price. The Intellivison games are god awful to play.

halfiepint
04-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Not for me because I grew up on Intellivision. I do think that the dumb games like Armor Battle and Football, not only should be cheaper but why the hell are they even included?

Belvik
04-05-2010, 05:24 AM
240 is a fair price for most of the games IMO. Just buy the ones you enjoy and avoid the ones you don't. I've only bought two so far and may possibly buy one more. Will have to wait and see what gets released in the future for game room before I 1k it, but I'm in no hurry to finish this one.

litepink
04-05-2010, 05:52 AM
ehhhhh...

the montage "if you don't like it, don't buy it" should ring true, but I feel as if Game Room has potential but is being ruined by the price. Some of these games though are REALLY showing their age. Some are terrible choices for even being there, like the aforementioned football.

Upcountrytripod
04-05-2010, 07:02 AM
The entire thing is so predatory I inderstand they want your money ALL OF YOUR MONEY but step back and take a look at this. The put this thing out there after giving it this gigantic hype for months and then they trap you as soon as you innocently start the damn thing just to take a look around and see what all this hype is about WHAM ! achievement unlocked, it's stuck on you card now. and the whole thing is DLC at 240 a pop or probably more in the future and you need a ton of them to get your achievements going. in the end how many microsoft points are people willing to spend to get 1000G.? But thats right if they are players who are concerned about their completion they are stuck now because they were curious and checked out the gameroom. Dirty dirty tactics

Alypso
04-05-2010, 07:21 AM
ehhhhh...

the montage "if you don't like it, don't buy it" should ring true, but I feel as if Game Room has potential but is being ruined by the price. Some of these games though are REALLY showing their age. Some are terrible choices for even being there, like the aforementioned football.

i'm one of the greatest fans of mattel's intellivision and cannot understand why microsoft does not put SUPER PRO FOOTBALL instead of FOOTBALL to the game room. its the same game, but you can play against cpu or play against a friend. Why Why Why ????
http://www.intvfunhouse.com/games/spfb.php#screenshots

sleepydumbdude
04-05-2010, 03:48 PM
I think the atari games should be cheaper. The arcade prices are ok. I don't know about intellivision games since I will never play or have tried them.

Yars Revenge on ataris website runs better than the game room version.

Skode
04-05-2010, 04:02 PM
I dont mind the prices all that much if im honest for the games as at the end of the day they are the same prices as most of the fancier avatar clothing items you can buy these days.

Arcade classic games from the marketplace also have the likes of Root Beer Tapper and Frogger at 400 MSP and for those you dont get the challenges, the games cabinets, the games medals to unlock something every level etc. I see value for money here if your really into your retro gaming... the only money complaint is the sad pricing of people who play YOUR machines already bought and payed for and of course charging for mascots which should in general come free with every machine bought anyway.

Malchia
04-06-2010, 10:11 PM
The entire thing is so predatory I inderstand they want your money ALL OF YOUR MONEY but step back and take a look at this. The put this thing out there after giving it this gigantic hype for months and then they trap you as soon as you innocently start the damn thing just to take a look around and see what all this hype is about WHAM ! achievement unlocked, it's stuck on you card now. and the whole thing is DLC at 240 a pop or probably more in the future and you need a ton of them to get your achievements going. in the end how many microsoft points are people willing to spend to get 1000G.? But thats right if they are players who are concerned about their completion they are stuck now because they were curious and checked out the gameroom. Dirty dirty tactics

A huge +1 to this from a victim of these dirty dirty tactics XD

mietha CAG
04-07-2010, 05:54 AM
For some of these games, $3 is about 10 times too much, and that is being generous. For others, $3 is an absolute steal. That said, I love the uniform pricing and I REALLY hope it stays that way.

TriRock
04-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Game Room has potential and could be real fun. It's on the expensive side when you'll be going for 1000G because you (like me) where too careless to check what you were signing up for. But at least give us games that don't look and sound so horrible your eyes and ears bleed!

So far, I've played Lunar Lander, Astro Smash and Shaolin's Road, and only the last one is worth the money. (I honestly don't remeber what I was thinking when I bought those two other games... Propably 'easy achievements'?) I'd like some quality mid/late 80's Arcade games please, or are all of those tagged for individual Live Arcade release? Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Commando etc would be cool to have and I'd pay 250 points for it, but Outlaws? Yeesh.

Todaysforgotten
04-07-2010, 10:49 PM
For some of these games, $3 is about 10 times too much, and that is being generous. For others, $3 is an absolute steal. That said, I love the uniform pricing and I REALLY hope it stays that way.

You basically contradict yourself. The uniform pricing is what makes game room not so great in my eyes.

Yes, people can abuse don't buy if you don't like it, but the fact that basically the first games ever to hit arcades and systems are 3 dollars? the same price as more advanced games that hit the arcades in the early to late 80s?

If anyone is old enough to remember an arcade. Do you remember seeing games that were 25c, 50c and 1 dollar? Do you remember the difference between the game? Age/hardware. What makes these games so different on game room? Yes, yes, you can argue all the marquee's and cabinets - I don't care about that and still shouldn't make the games uniform in price. Hardware is hardware.

360 games range in price and have varying graphics. In price 360>p2>p1>n64 etc etc

GR should follow the same formula that every single piece of technology follows. Newer = pricier.

If said games were 1 dollar and arcade 3. I'd assume there would be more impulse buys or why not, its only 1 dollar as opposed to 3 for basically 2nd generation console/system games.

Hawkeye31337
04-08-2010, 01:51 AM
I love the idea of Game Room. Despite my distaste at the cost of these games, I've already bought 3 and can't wait for the next wave at the end of April. I don't much care for the cost of these games, however. It seems like a lot of money for something I have on my cell phone for free. Personally, I think 80 MSP would be good, or 120 MSP, but $3 for an old school game is a bit much.

a random cat
04-08-2010, 02:03 AM
At first, I thought the prices were a bit outrageous, but I understood to buy only the games that look fun to me and is worth the 240MS points. I only bought 3(Road Fighter, Red Baron, and Asteroids) and I think all of them are worth it. Can't wait to see what's next!