PDA

View Full Version : Children's Dino Metal?

A ZombieTwinkie
04-05-2010, 04:00 AM
I came across this on one of the websites I visit. Don't quite know what I think of it, myself. So I thought I'd share with everyone here. It's definitely an interesting idea. And if you want to get kids into metal, this seems to be one way to do so. I can't seem to find much on them besides what was on that site.

Hevisaurus was a band made up of members from legendary band Dio and Sonata Arctica. Their goal was to recrod heavy metal for children. After an intense brainstorming session, someone thought of buying a bunch of dinosaur suits and the idea stuck. The music itself is in Finnish, but the lyrics usually deal with popular children's stories and, you know, dinosaurs. Because that's the heart of metal.Among several finnish children's metal and hard rock bands, Hevisaurus is the first one to release an album consisting mostly of original music. While the real names of the actual line-up have not been released, among the artists on the full-length album are Mirka Rantanen (Thunderstone (http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=2282)), Jens Johansson (Dio (http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=163), Yngwie J. Malmsteen (http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=84), Stratovarius (http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=216)), Henrik Klingenberg (Sonata Arctica (http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=192)), Mikko Kosonen (Maija Vilkkumaa), Nino Laurenne (Thunderstone (http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=2282)) and Mikko Salovaara (Kiuas (http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=8998)).Here's one of their videos:

YouTube- Hevisaurus - Jee Hevisaurus

Your thoughts?

Joker0fLife
04-05-2010, 04:28 AM
My thoughts? Why the fuck didn't they do this when I was a kid?!

Hipipobobip bo me mo bip, mikibo bit, yeaaaaah hevisaurus...........Finnish sounds so funny :p

Burning Karma
04-05-2010, 03:39 PM
I have no idea what the fuck he is singing. And are some of the people in the crowd holding inflatable bananas?
Anywho, it's not a bad idea. Metal dinosaurs get a checkmark in my book. Should certainly be a good way to introduce heavier music to kids.

Massa Siggy
04-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Barney's really got a wild streak nowadays, eh?

BarbaricGoose
04-05-2010, 09:13 PM
I'll take this over Hannah Montana any day. Actually, I'd take a gun shot to the head over Hannah Montana, so I suppose that's not saying much.

Made me laugh, though!

dirge
04-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Hahaha! Amazing, i'm SO showing this to my 3 year old tomorrow! :woop:

Volzagia
04-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Anyone else think this sounds like Heavens On Fire By KISS?

Tussell
04-06-2010, 01:14 AM
This is the weirdest thing ever. Unfortunately I'm not into this type of music. Never liked really 'power-ish' stuff aside from Manowar. Now if it was childrens black metal or something, that'd be a different story.

This isn't the only Finnish children's metal band, you've also got Pikku-Orava.
YouTube- Pikku-Orava : Taivas lyö tulta

ApochWeiss
04-06-2010, 02:20 AM
Yes but that Pikku-Orava is annoying as all hell and I wouldn't even let my kid listen to it haha. And yes, I'm also one of those guys who absolutely hates Alvin & The Chipmunks. Always did, even as a kid. I sat back going "what fuck fuck is this shit?" (or "what the heck is this garbage?" since I was a kid).

Now, that dinosaur metal band? To quote my buddy Fred Fredburger: Yes. Brilliant!!! We need to hook 'em while they're young. A world full of metal heads could very bring on world peace in the next generation haha

A ZombieTwinkie
04-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Yes but that Pikku-Orava is annoying as all hell and I wouldn't even let my kid listen to it haha. And yes, I'm also one of those guys who absolutely hates Alvin & The Chipmunks. Always did, even as a kid. I sat back going "what fuck fuck is this shit?" (or "what the heck is this garbage?" since I was a kid).

Now, that dinosaur metal band? To quote my buddy Fred Fredburger: Yes. Brilliant!!! We need to hook 'em while they're young. A world full of metal heads could very bring on world peace in the next generation haha

So true, Apoch. Haha.

And as for Alvin and the Chipmunks. I'm in the same boat. Unfortunately I have two kids, and the oldest constantly watches the Chipmunk movies.

Dark Reality
04-22-2010, 02:58 AM
I heard about this band on another forum... it's pretty amusing. But the video posted in the OP isn't... that great. I think this song is a little more representative of their potential, for what it's worth. It's not very heavy though, and it's not as creepy as it seems to be at the beginning.

A year ago I would have converted a few of their videos to DVD to show my niece, but she's since "declared" her favorite songs in Rock Band 2 (which her father plays religiously) to be "Savior" by Rise Against, and now "21 Guns" by Green Day, so I don't need dinosaurs, LOL. Not bad for seven, though I can say when I was the same age, my favorite song was "Sweet Home Alabama" by Skynyrd.

BarbaricGoose
04-22-2010, 11:25 PM
A year ago I would have converted a few of their videos to DVD to show my niece, but she's since "declared" her favorite songs in Rock Band 2 (which her father plays religiously) to be "Savior" by Rise Against, and now "21 Guns" by Green Day.

Well.. That's better than nothing.

You gotta push harder, though. She's dangerously close to the Fall Out Boy zone right now. Get her into CCR, or Rush. I don't know if they've got any CCR or Rush in Rock Band 2, though. If they don't, I hate them. But ya can't simply stand by and let her listen to Rise Against. :p

Dark Reality
04-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Hey now, Rise Against are good. Their new album is pretty solid except for the acoustic "Hero of War".

Rush... The entire album... the one with Limelight and Tom Sawyer, is in RB2 as downloadable content. A good cover of Tom Sawyer comes with the first game. I have the original as well, and... damn, a couple others. CCR only have one song, Fortunate Son, and it's a cover (but a decent one).

Anyway, you really can't push a kid into music, per se, but rather, look at what they like and extrapolate from that, and find better music. e.g. she likes a song each by Green Day and Rise Against, both which cite punk as influence, so we'll play The Clash ("I Fought the Law" and "Should I Stay or Should I Go") and if she likes that, move into the other stuff; if not, go back toward mainstream rock. That she's no longer requesting "Headphones On" (the free iCarly track... which actually ain't bad...) is a victory in and of itself. Or "girl songs" for the sake of being so (e.g. Paramore, Flyleaf). She's not afraid to check out some stuff that isn't what they play on Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, or the Disney Channel (all her mom lets her watch).

As older rockers, we want kids to like what we like, but we can't force it, and as long as they don't like what we hate (which for me is almost nothing, I'm pretty open to a lot of music, YMMV) that's good enough. Really, it's just trippy for me to see what someone so young thinks of music, having had almost no prior experience with music.