PDA

View Full Version : Sober Non Alcoholic Gamers

Sweep It Up
04-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Plenty of threads containing what we drink and drink recipies for the majority

But what about the minority that suffer from the addiction and suffering that alcohol can bring?

I myself enjoy replacing that addiction with achievement hunting, if there is anyone else out there that feels the same don't be afraid to speak up! Or if you simply choose not to have drinking in your life!

PHIL 421
04-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Right now I am achievement hunting because I can't drink. (Court Order Long Story)

Sweep It Up
04-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Right arm, sounds like your afflicted in some way thanks to booze, as am I maybe not to the extent of the power of courts, but substituting alcohol with some friendly achievement whoring some of us can agree is a much healthier solution

Sweep It Up
04-06-2010, 05:45 PM
In other words this thread is more designed for the meet and greet of people/gamers looking for some new buds

I myself am surrounded by alcoholics, friends that I slowly need to move away from and now looking for new sober live pals

twistedsymphony
04-06-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm 27 and never had a drink in my life. I have a number of reasons why I don't drink which I wont get into here.

Most of my friends don't even realize I don't drink until they've known me for a while since I never make a thing of it... I typically just politely decline whenever someone offers me a drink. My friends and my wife are always happy to have a designated driver on hand though :)

oblivion0110
04-07-2010, 01:03 AM
I can't legally drink, and I don't plan on doing it soon...

Tussell
04-07-2010, 01:15 AM
I live my life by three rules.

Smoke Crack.
Worship Satan.
Post Threads In Correct Forums.

I also drink copious amounts of Everclear.

Sploogenon
04-07-2010, 01:18 AM
i dont plan on drinking at anytime in my life and i replace any tempting offers with a no and i go play a game or sumthin

Guttermouth13
04-07-2010, 01:37 AM
Drinking makes you fat and beat your wife. Smoke weed, drink mtn dew, and eat a lot of candy instead.

LetsGetLethal
04-07-2010, 01:47 AM
I used to drink all of the time, then I saw it was ruining my life so I stopped, it's only been about 2 months but I already feel a lot better for it, it cost me money, ruined friendships and relationships and I always hated the hanging feeling in the mornings after a night out. I'll still go out, not as much but enough as to not be socially awkward, but these days I stick to Red Bull/Relentless/soda. I'll look around, see my friends making idiots of themselves, smoking themselves in to coughing fits and getting monged out on Weed/Methadrone. Fair play if it is fun for them but I can't help think thank god that isn't me anymore. Not doing what society would called normal activities for my age bracket doesn't hurt your social life a little, some people seem genuinely annoyed that I am not doing the same junk as they are, but, as someone once said - "You laugh at me because I am different, I pity you because you are all the same"

Still, plus side is that since I am not out as much I have really gotten back in to the whole gaming thing :D

VladimirK
04-07-2010, 01:50 AM
and beat your wife.

http://realfakeblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/stella-wife-beater2_big.jpg

(Haha, as soon as I read that I had to post it :p).

To the OP: Welcome to the site :)
(Can't say I've ever been addicted to booze though, and I still drink. The welcome still stands though ;))

Val'Istar Rinion
04-07-2010, 02:44 AM
I have only ever drank on occasion just for a new taste. Never to the point of getting drunk and usually only a couple days of the year. I tend to drink Mainly Mountain Dew at this point. Feel free to add me via XBox Live as I just purchased a year of gold and 8k MSP for Arcade Games. Half of which will go towards the April sale, might as well get the games while they are on sale.

MonkeyPunchBaby
04-07-2010, 03:31 AM
I'm 23 and I don't smoke, drink or use drugs. Addiction and alcoholism run in my family pretty bad, so I have always chosen not to chance it. Hell I eat enough Slim Jims, drink enough Caffeine Free Pepsi(i have heart problems and caffeine makes it worse) and chew enough gum to replace all of those other vices. Plus theres always video games, which have been my vice since my dad let me play the Atari 7800 we had. After reading this i realize it makes me sound very unhealthy, but I assure I'm not obese or overweight at all. In fact I believe I am quite healthy. That is all besides the point, i just didn't want anyone to think i replaced drinking with over eating or anything like. Its late and i'm rambling. Feel free to send me a friend request on Live. my gamertag is same as my username MonkeyPunchBaby.

twistedsymphony
04-07-2010, 01:02 PM
I just wanted to point out that a lot of people who book-end their username/gamer tag with "X" don't even realize that it's meant to represents Straight Edge

from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_edge):
The X symbol can be used as a way to signify a band or person is Straight Edge, by adding an 'x' to the front and back, for example, the band xDEATHSTARx.

I laughed my ass off the first time I saw someone with a GT like that and a weed reference in their motto.

FlipsiderNick
04-07-2010, 03:29 PM
I for one am completly sober all of the time now. I would want to hang out with my friends and do other stuff besides sit around smoke weed drink beer and generally just be a loser. So I just stopped doing all that stuff now I dont see any of my "friends" and its becoming extremely difficult to find people that actually want to go out and do stuff which is why ive gotten into playing video games with the online addition I can play with people I dont know and then when im done i just shut off my console and go do something else. But yeah anyone that thinks smoking pot is cool youre a fuckhead and I hope you ruin youre life

Sweep It Up
04-07-2010, 05:04 PM
I didn't intend the thread to be flammed up as the right or wrong way for a person to live their life, there is no such thing, mainly there is no spot within these fourms were gamers afflicted by addiction can meet, pass along some FR's, and maybe share a thought or too into sobriety and recovery. There is enough characters on live that are under the influence, heck I used to be one of them, myself and my brother played CoD WaW while playing a drinking game called Call of Drink which I won't go into detail for obvious reasons, in some cases in order to enjoy Rock Band or Guitar Hero I felt I had to have a drink and now I am seeing that this is not the case, and in the future I would like to associate myself with friends on live that feel the same way.

Sambuca Queen
04-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Im drunk right now lolz. Welcome ♥

Tussell
04-07-2010, 10:38 PM
I didn't intend the thread to be flammed up as the right or wrong way for a person to live their life, there is no such thing, mainly there is no spot within these fourms were gamers afflicted by addiction can meet, pass along some FR's, and maybe share a thought or too into sobriety and recovery. There is enough characters on live that are under the influence, heck I used to be one of them, myself and my brother played CoD WaW while playing a drinking game called Call of Drink which I won't go into detail for obvious reasons, in some cases in order to enjoy Rock Band or Guitar Hero I felt I had to have a drink and now I am seeing that this is not the case, and in the future I would like to associate myself with friends on live that feel the same way.
Music games are fun without being heavily intoxicated? Blasphemy!

Oh, and please do go into details on the rules and regulations for Call of Drink. :)

VladimirK
04-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Oh, and please do go into details on the rules and regulations for Call of Drink. :)

My guess would be take a shot for every kill or death.
Maybe for a kill take a shot of some alcohol you like, for a death take a shot of lighter fluid or something :p:biglaugh