PDA

View Full Version : Toxie Lives!

B1GM13
04-08-2010, 08:43 AM
The remake craze in Hollywood is now officially scraping the bottom of the barrel, but it's a bottom that many fans of schlock moviemaking love. That's right: The Toxic Avenger (http://uk.movies.ign.com/objects/792/792818.html) is getting a redo.

Deadline (http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/the-toxic-avenger-mops-up-in-redo-deal/) is reporting that the Troma Films mascot is "at the center of a remake deal" for a movie that will be produced by Akiva Goldsman (http://uk.stars.ign.com/objects/911/911094.html) (I Am Legend), Richard Saperstein (the Mother's Day remake) and Charlie Corwin. Corwin's Original Media is financing an entire franchise re-launch based on Toxie that will include four sequels, an animated TV series and comic books.

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/108/1082275/toxie_1270652537.jpg

"The group intends to turn Toxie into a green superhero for these environmentally conscious times," says the site. Alas, the more grotesque aspects of the original series will almost certainly be lost in this translation as the plan is to make a family-friendly, PG-13 action-comedy (along the lines of The Mask, according to the report, a film which producer Saperstein worked on when he was a New Line executive).

The original 1984 picture, directed by Troma founders Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz, was a classic zero-to-hero tale. Melvin, a nerdy, bullied janitor, falls into a vat of toxic waste and is transformed into the superhuman title character -- a kind-hearted monster who rights the wrongs of Tromaville, New Jersey.

The Off-Broadway stage version of The Toxic Avenger recently got a nomination for Outstanding Musical.

Source - IGN.com

rvlution
04-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Doesn't a family friendly version defeat the purpose? I haven't seen the originals but would like to.

Tussell
04-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Well, they had the cartoon which was geared towards kids. It was one of those environmentally-friendly cartoons like Captain Planet.

Not only is there news of this remake, but there is also supposed to be the fifth addition to the series coming out in 2011. The Toxic Avenger 5: The Toxic Twins.

KSizzle
04-09-2010, 06:49 AM
Wow didn't know about this! I love me some Troma but how could they remake this? It was fine on its low budget 1st time around. I will see it however, I am to intrigued ;)

They are remaking another Troma classic, Mother's Day.

As long as they don't touch other Troma Classics like Surf Nazis Must Die, Beware Children at Play and Nuke Em High, I'm for it I guess. Who am I kidding, I'd still watch them. I used to love getting trashed back in high school and watching all the Troma flicks. I still have alot of them on DVD.

I was looking at random clips the other day on youtube cracking up. I don't know if they would be appropriate to post here though.

Tussell
04-09-2010, 06:54 AM
I don't know if they would be appropriate to post here though.
Yeah, I don't think so either.

KSizzle
04-09-2010, 06:57 AM
Yeah, I don't think so either.

Ha ha...There is a great Toxic Avenger compilation on youtube that is pretty awesome. Gotta love Troma :)

Edit: I'm bored so I decided to check their dvds on their website. Dirt cheap ones. A few I didn't know about...Wow, I remember Rabid Grannies...Lookin at that now.

Tussell
04-09-2010, 07:03 AM
Ha ha...There is a great Toxic Avenger compilation on youtube that is pretty awesome. Gotta love Troma :)

Edit: I'm bored so I decided to check their dvds on their website. Dirt cheap ones. A few I didn't know about...Wow, I remember Rabid Grannies...Lookin at that now.
It was really cool, there's this guy who lives in my town who always wears horror movie shirts, and he has a I <3 Tromaville bumper sticker. I've actually talked to him a few times and have even seen him at horror conventions. Also, there was a bunch of Troma films at the local Disc Replay. My town for some reason loves Troma!

(Sorry for such a random story, but Rabid Grannies was at Disc Replay, so it made me think of all the connections to my town :p)

KSizzle
04-09-2010, 07:06 AM
Ha Ha....That is awesome!

They had a midnight showing of Toxie here about a year back. I think everyone there was shitfaced. It was a lot of fun.