PDA

View Full Version : Excellent reviews so far

Private_Joker
04-10-2010, 01:18 AM
IGN (http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1082854p1.html) - 9.3
EDGE (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=242110) - 8/10
Game Informer (http://www.vgarabia.com/2010/04/10/splinter-cell-conviction-got-a-great-score-from-game-informer/) - 9/10

Looking good. Knew it wouldn't disappoint.

DarthSoth
04-10-2010, 04:05 AM
That's good news. Those scores are about in line with what I was expecting. I was thinking around the 9 mark with a .5 variance either way.

noobie2games
04-10-2010, 05:08 AM
Just read and watched the review on IGN with their 9.3 score. I was honestly not expecting such high reviews. Looks like a great game, Chaos Theory is defiantly the best game in the series before this. But this is defiantly a way different game then all the other splinter cells, which I dunno lil disappointed in. But Conviction looked good b4 the reviews and so far the reviews make it look good also. Anyway I'll be picking this up and looks like it hold me up until May when Red Dead Redemption comes out.

domn8rdom
04-10-2010, 05:33 AM
I always trust IGN.com reviews and 9.3 is a lot higher than i was expecting which is a good thing

X F1ftY 1ne
04-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Great game indeed. Can't wait. I've been dieing to get my hands on the game. First game in a while I've been this excited for.

ajennice
04-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Our store got them last night so we cracked 1 or 2 open to test (review) them.. Great game. Mosr of a Vegas type game than the last Splinter cell.

Only issue I am having so far is with the weaponry. Not to spoil so I'll let you all play and see if you have issues.

Definately a purchase game! don't pass this one up!

iBean
04-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Glad it's getting good reviews. Can't wait to get this!

Stormy2k
04-10-2010, 05:13 PM
It's a shame the single player is only around 5 hours long.

Obviously im going to do Normal then Realistic, as I do with most games to make it last longer and for the challenge, but still, 5 hours is pretty short for a game this long in development.

N-Forced
04-10-2010, 05:49 PM

Obviously im going to do Normal then Realistic, as I do with most games to make it last longer and for the challenge, but still, 5 hours is pretty short for a game this long in development. True but you also have co-op which adds another 5 or 6 additional hours to the game, so in actuality it'll take 10 plus hours to totally beat the game.

Purge
04-10-2010, 06:10 PM
It was a huge risk deviating from the trial-and-error style that made the series famous, but it paid off. Splinter Cell Conviction is awesome.

That has to be my favourite two-line review of the game. To anyone in the UK, if you get Splinter Cell from HMV, you get 800MSP free. :)

The 13th Knight
04-10-2010, 06:58 PM

Obviously im going to do Normal then Realistic, as I do with most games to make it last longer and for the challenge, but still, 5 hours is pretty short for a game this long in development.

Conviction's development cycle has really not been any longer than any other game. You have to remember that they scrapped the original design two years ago so the version you see today has only been in development for two years

Stormy2k
04-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Conviction's development cycle has really not been any longer than any other game. You have to remember that they scrapped the original design two years ago so the version you see today has only been in development for two yearsSeems longer than 2 years, I've been waiting for this game forever!

Still, even starting the game again from scratch, I don't get why they only put in 5 hours of single player gameplay?

sleekzero
04-10-2010, 07:50 PM
indeed, Chaos Theory WAS the best in the series so far, and its the first one to implement the 'save anywhere' feature. which, i think this game really needs, too. anyone know if it has it?

Daiphyer.
04-10-2010, 07:54 PM
An 8 from Edge is very impressive. That magazine's 8 is equivalent to IGN's 9.5.

kall5ter
04-10-2010, 08:02 PM
i'll be getting it either way...

ajennice
04-10-2010, 08:56 PM
So far.. it's got good replay value... Co-op and getting the requirements for the weapo n advancements. Plus cheives!

KarmaDog214
04-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Conviction's development cycle has really not been any longer than any other game. You have to remember that they scrapped the original design two years ago so the version you see today has only been in development for two years
Yeah, seriously. Take Duke Nukem Forever or Timesplitters 4 for example. Now that's what I call a very long develpment cycle. Wish both didn't get cancelled, though (clarify me if I'm wrong). :(

I only have one question before I purchase the game: is Splinter Cell Conviction open-world or level by level like its predecessors? I just want clarification on that before my high hopes for this game get the best of me. Regardless, I'm still gonna purchase Conviction.

DarthSoth
04-10-2010, 09:36 PM
indeed, Chaos Theory WAS the best in the series so far, and its the first one to implement the 'save anywhere' feature. which, i think this game really needs, too. anyone know if it has it?

It does not have the save anywhere feature. They are back to the old checkpoint system like the earlier games in the series.

sleekzero
04-11-2010, 01:34 AM
man, that sucks! they screwed up then...:(
what a shame.

DarthSoth
04-11-2010, 01:44 AM
I'm horrible at saving while I play anyway. I always end up playing and not saving and then dying before I realize I should have saved. It would be nice to have the save anywhere feature too. Meh, I've played enough Splinter Cell 1 and 2 that I can deal with the checkpoint system again though.

danksch
04-11-2010, 11:28 AM
I actually hated Chaos Theory for that reason of implementing Quick Save. It _really_ took out the tension for me and made it trivial try and error.
Pandora Tomorrow remains the peak of the series for me.

Bregonar
04-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Can't wait to play this game,, the demo (imo) was really amazing. I'll have a good time coop'ing this game with some friends ^^

MrEastSide
04-11-2010, 05:54 PM

I just finished the game, it certainly took me longer than 5. I'd say more like, 8. I guess if you charge through as fast as you can it could be done it 5, but that could be said about a lot of games if you charge in as fast as possible and don't take your time to enjoy.

Add to that, played on realistic, I guarantee it's going to take much longer than 5 hours.

ovoon7
04-11-2010, 08:42 PM
I always trust IGN.com reviews and 9.3 is a lot higher than i was expecting which is a good thing

Ugh... never trust IGN. Some of their reviews are AWFUL. Kinda like Last Remnant (2.5?? EF YOU) and Rise of The Argonaughts (The whole video was him whining about the combat and hardly anything else, when combat wasn't even the main part of the game.) And Assassins Creed 1 (7.10?) And then they cater to the fanboys with their 10s for Halos and Modern Warfares. Garbage. If anything go to Metacritic.com, that place is where I trust my reviews, because theres a million of them, both community and official.

tunaleg
04-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Pandora Tomorrow remains the peak of the series for me.

Agreed, I loved Pandora Tomorrow

xXh00kXx
04-12-2010, 04:01 AM
IGN (http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1082854p1.html) - 9.3
EDGE (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=242110) - 8/10
Game Informer (http://www.vgarabia.com/2010/04/10/splinter-cell-conviction-got-a-great-score-from-game-informer/) - 9/10

Looking good. Knew it wouldn't disappoint.

That's great news!

InkedUp
04-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Great scores, even though I rarely let reviews have a hand in if I will purchase any game. Been really excited for this since the video for the walkthrough came out. Can't wait for tomorrow.

STEEL
04-12-2010, 05:27 PM
I rarely let reviews have a hand in if I will purchase any game.

Same here. So many of the review sites are overly critical but it's good to know that if a game can get high reviews from them then it's bound to be awesome.
As for the single-player being short, I agree that 5 hours is a bit quick since I'm usually more about single-player in games, but I'll take quality over quantity any day. I always appreciate a short game that I want to play over and over rather than a long game that I only want to run through once.