PDA

View Full Version : Best Alternative/Rock band of all time.

Condescension
04-12-2010, 01:08 AM
I personally think that Incubus is one of the best bands of all time. For obvious reasons.

Postmodernmartyr
04-12-2010, 01:33 AM
I don't know, I'm not that into alternative rock any more but I can still enjoy some Soundgarden (although I think ill of the Reunion) and anything boxset or before from the Smashing Pumpkins...

Massa Siggy
04-12-2010, 01:36 AM
I'm not really into Alt-rock, but I would say Incubus is pretty amazing.

jasonisco0l
04-12-2010, 07:57 AM
I like eve 6.

Joker0fLife
04-13-2010, 11:04 PM
I personally think that Incubus is one of the best bands of all time. For obvious reasons.

Incubus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Nine Inch Nails is where it's at

Davesauce
04-16-2010, 02:44 AM
Does Pink Floyd count? They were pretty innovative and alternative when they first appeared, but they're kinda mainstream now.

I guess along that same vein you could count the Beatles as "alternative".

If not, then +1 to Soundgarden. Chris Cornell is awesome.

KSizzle
04-16-2010, 02:52 AM
Pearl Jam hands down, imo. They are still putting out great records to this day and their live shows are legendary.

Other notables that I have loved over the years (my fav genre of music):
Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Audioslave, Beck, Bush, Candlebox, Jerry Cantrell, Seven Mary Three, Ben Harper, Incubus, Janes Addiction, Jesus and Mary Chain, L7, Live, The Smashing Pumpkins, Local H, Mad Season, Radiohead....Okay that is enough from me :p

Some of these artists might no longer be around or switched their style to a degree but I believe the artists listed all have had an impact on the genre.

Davesauce
04-16-2010, 04:16 AM
Pearl Jam hands down, imo. They are still putting out great records to this day and their live shows are legendary.

Other notables that I have loved over the years (my fav genre of music):
Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Audioslave, Beck, Bush, Candlebox, Jerry Cantrell, Seven Mary Three, Ben Harper, Incubus, Janes Addiction, Jesus and Mary Chain, L7, Live, The Smashing Pumpkins, Local H, Mad Season, Radiohead....Okay that is enough from me :p

Some of these artists might no longer be around or switched their style to a degree but I believe the artists listed all have had an impact on the genre.

Oops, forgot Radiohead. I change my answer. Radiohead.

laundryman
04-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Incubus ftw. Although they're not as good now, they made some quality jams back in their hay-day.

DOOKH8R
04-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Back when alternative was actually alternative, REM was the greatest alt rock band.

KSizzle
04-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Back when alternative was actually alternative, REM was the greatest alt rock band.

I can't believe I forgot REM. They are a great band. Murmur is one of my favorite albums. I still say Pearl Jam ;)

DOOKH8R
04-16-2010, 09:17 PM
I can't believe I forgot REM. They are a great band. Murmur is one of my favorite albums. I still say Pearl Jam ;)

If you are including grunge in alternative, ok. However, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with the contention that Pearl Jam is, was, or ever will be, better than Nirvana.

Neverender
04-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Pearl Jam was good at one point. Then they became sell-outs and their music got worse and worse (IMO).

That in mind, either Soundgarden or Nirvana (Nirvana was better, but Soundgarden made a lot more good music).

DOOKH8R
04-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Pearl Jam was good at one point. Then they became sell-outs and their music got worse and worse (IMO).

Truth.

Happens to just about everyone* unless you die young or your name is Neil Young. Even alt pioneers REM sold out (damn you Warner brothers) and from 1991 on, were never the same. Along those lines, remember when Bono was cool and U2 wasn't lame?

Driving factor in Cobain's suicide is the realization that he was embraced by the mainstream and, in his mind, was in fact selling out.

*Caveat-I know nothing about death/black/or new metal so I am sure there are those bands who arent radio, tv or advertising friendly that havent sold out. Whether that's by their own volition or the nature of the genre, is debatable.

KSizzle
04-17-2010, 01:50 AM
If you are including grunge in alternative, ok. However, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with the contention that Pearl Jam is, was, or ever will be, better than Nirvana.

I respect your disagreement but IMO there is absolutely no way Nirvana is, was, or ever will be better than Pearl Jam. Its been a staple in grunge arguments everywhere and there will always be 2 sides but I have been a loyal PJ fan ever since TEN. I don't think any of Nirvana's records come close to touching TEN, or VS for that matter. I love Nirvana personally and own all of their records but I still say they are the most overrated band of all time. Of course, this is just my opinion, not trying to piss anyone off.

Some of Nirvana's live shit just sounds like drunken karaoke at a hole in the wall bar. Maybe it was because Cobain was so strung out half the time but most of the live stuff I have of theirs is terrible, while PJ's live bootlegs are absolutely incredible. I have seen them live 9 times (10 in May) and just think they get better and better. I still think Eddie Vedder is a musical genius as well. Some of their newer records are just phenomenal. The self titled and Backspacer are just great rock records.

As for the whole "sell out" theory. I think Pearl Jam held off as long as they could but in the long run every band "sells out", like REM, U2, etc. It is just something that is bound to happen when your band gets extremely huge.

Melynda
04-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Foo Fighters

DOOKH8R
04-17-2010, 02:57 AM
I respect your disagreement but IMO there is absolutely no way Nirvana is, was, or ever will be better than Pearl Jam. Its been a staple in grunge arguments everywhere and there will always be 2 sides but I have been a loyal PJ fan ever since TEN. I don't think any of Nirvana's records come close to touching TEN, or VS for that matter. I love Nirvana personally and own all of their records but I still say they are the most overrated band of all time. Of course, this is just my opinion, not trying to piss anyone off.

Some of Nirvana's live shit just sounds like drunken karaoke at a hole in the wall bar. Maybe it was because Cobain was so strung out half the time but most of the live stuff I have of theirs is terrible, while PJ's live bootlegs are absolutely incredible. I have seen them live 9 times (10 in May) and just think they get better and better. I still think Eddie Vedder is a musical genius as well. Some of their newer records are just phenomenal. The self titled and Backspacer are just great rock records.

As for the whole "sell out" theory. I think Pearl Jam held off as long as they could but in the long run every band "sells out", like REM, U2, etc. It is just something that is bound to happen when your band gets extremely huge.

I can respect your love for Pearl Jam, but not that Nirvana is overrated. Its about the angst, raw emotion and having a voice-not necessarily Kurt's voice. I was a punk ass college teenager when Nevermind was released and it was revolutionary in all respects. That is Nirvana's greatest and eternal significance.

I saw Pearl Jam at Lollapalooza in 1992 and they were pretty damn good.

KSizzle
04-17-2010, 07:10 AM
Fair Enough, I won't ever doubt Nirvana's relevance in the genre, but I personally still think a bit overrated.

I was a 6th grader when I first heard TEN and Nevermind (I later bought Bleach and old PJ Mookie Blaylock Demos) and I was blown away with both records. I thought as time has gone on, however, Pearl Jam's records have gotten significantly better (imo). Nevermind was significant in the grunge/alternative genre but far from PJ's Ten album, again imo. We never got to see what Kurt could have evolved to, but I don't think he could touch Ed on a songwriting level if he was still around.

Also, somewhat off topic but you saw PJ at lollapalooza in 92!? That is awesome! I remember trying to get tix with my friends and we were like 12 begging to go. If I remember correctly, it was Pearl Jam, RHCP, Ice-T, Ice Cube, Ministry and a few others. I would have loved to have attended one of those shows. :)

DOOKH8R
04-17-2010, 07:44 AM
Also, somewhat off topic but you saw PJ at lollapalooza in 92!? That is awesome! I remember trying to get tix with my friends and we were like 12 begging to go. If I remember correctly, it was Pearl Jam, RHCP, Ice-T, Ice Cube, Ministry and a few others. I would have loved to have attended one of those shows. :)

Pretty good recollection there! I know Ice-T was at Lollapalooza 1991, but I think I missed him in 1992 due to multiple stages.. FYI, Soundgarden was also at 1992 and STP and Rage Against the Machine rocked the hell out of the side stage.

I saw 1-6 (I know, I know-I'm old)

KSizzle
04-17-2010, 09:53 AM
I saw 1-6 (I know, I know-I'm old)

Ha ha...Nah man, you're only old when the music is loud! ;)

I thought I was old for seeing some Soundgarden and Pearl Jam shows back in 95! That is awesome that you went to Lollapalooza 1-6! They have always been my favorite festivals. I have only gone to 2 unfortunately, but the 2 that I attended were pretty amazing. I also have quite a few bootlegs of random LP shows. Jane's Addiction rocked for sure and I remember Audioslave at one of them and they kicked ass (the 2 I went to). Like I said, I would have loved to have been in your shoes to attend some of those man. Rage back in 92, I bet that was amazing.

As for the topic.... Yeah, I have always dug alternative/grunge music. This should be our thread opposed to the Metal thread that exists here. :p
l don't know if these two "newer" bands would qualify for the genre, but I have really been digging that last Strokes album and few tunes by a band named The Shins.

exo-apollo
04-19-2010, 08:49 AM
It's gotta be Radiohead for me. Ok Computer was a turning point for music in general, just like Bach's Goldberg variations or Stravinsky's Rite of Spring.

Volzagia
04-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Pearl Jam :woop:

PaperThinWalls
04-22-2010, 12:42 AM
This topic lacks Pixies.

Cav Clayton
04-22-2010, 01:50 AM
Thrice.
Their last two albums beat anything mentioned above, even if most are of legendary status.

Massa Siggy
04-22-2010, 01:54 AM
Thrice.
Their last two albums beat anything mentioned above, even if most are of legendary status.

Ya know, I was gonna say Thrice with them being my favorite band and all, but they span so many different genres (especially with the Alchemy Index albums) that I didn't know if they'd be applicable.

I do agree though, they beat everything.

exo-apollo
04-22-2010, 02:23 AM
Thrice.

Hah that's like comparing a 12 year old Glenfiddich to the famous Dalmore 62 Single Malt Highland Scotch Whisky. Or some other equally pretentious comparison.

MrSpanner
04-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Arctic Monkeys (The first internet music phenomenon) or the White Stripes.

ianke_2002
07-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Old thread but honestly......No "alternative" band will EVER be able to compare to Smashing Pumpkins. Billy Corgan is a fucking genius and I don't care what people may say about his ego/ignorance. The man is a BRILLIANT songwriter and a master multi-talent. ....Doesn't every rock star have an ego? I mean...come on. From the heavy angst of something like "Fuck You (An ode To No One)" to the soft melodies of something beautiful like.....well... "Beautiful" the man can do no wrong.

KeepEmRolling
07-26-2010, 01:54 PM
I agree with Smashing Pumpkins. I started listening to them after hearing one of their songs in the Watchmen trailer.

Pentexrx8
07-26-2010, 02:48 PM
My vote goes to Alice in Chains. I grew up listening to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins, among others, and of those four bands AiC is the only one I can still listen to without getting pissed off.

Sabrelord
07-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Even though they got harder roots, i gotta go with Life of Agony. Pumpkins and Pearl Jam share 2nd =)
Incubus takes third, i don't listen to them nomore though...still awesome band.

Hmm...just wondering, since it's playing right now, does Led Zeppelin count ...or maybe wrong era?

evilhomer12345
07-26-2010, 04:36 PM
three days grace ftw! i love them so much