PDA

View Full Version : Barren Earth, hands down, one of the best new metal acts

ApochWeiss
04-12-2010, 04:38 AM
One of my promotional contacts sent me the debut full-length "Curse of the Red River" by the band Barren Earth, and I put off listening to it for a little while. I wish I hadn't. This is one of the most surprisingly powerful albums I've heard in the metal scene in a long time. Here's a sample off the album, I'm sure you can find the whole thing on youtube though.

YouTube- Barren Earth Curse of the Red River (2010) - Our Twilight HQ.mp4

It's rare I get REALLY pumped about an album's release, and there hasn't really been many this year aside the new Fear Factory and Overkill, and this one is just so different and well constructed. I admit I didn't like it at first due to the vocals, but after a little while, when you give it a chance it all just hits you at once and it's just such an epic album.

Hope you guys enjoy the song and look into it. I seriously just had to share this with you guys.

Massa Siggy
04-12-2010, 04:47 AM
Wow, I normally don't go for stuff this heavy, but that was pretty decent!

ChaosGod87
04-12-2010, 12:33 PM
wow, that was pretty damn awesome.

BarbaricGoose
04-12-2010, 05:56 PM
They sound a bit like Insomnium. Nice find, Apoch.

I still believe Insomnium is better, though.

ApochWeiss
04-13-2010, 03:44 AM
They sound a bit like Insomnium. Nice find, Apoch.

I still believe Insomnium is better, though.

Oi, you and DMF087 are conspiring against me. She feels the same way. A good majority of the members are from Amorphis and, really, I hear a LOT more Amorphis in this recording then Insomnium.

BarbaricGoose
04-13-2010, 06:47 AM
I hear a LOT more Amorphis in this recording then Insomnium.

Could be, I suppose.

I've not heard much by Amorphis. Only Silent Waters and Skyforger. Great albums, both, but they weren't as heavy as Insomnium, and only a few songs had that real melancholic feel to them.

I've listened to a few more songs by Barren Earth, and they are starting to sound a lot more like Amorphis.

Perhaps I spoke too soon.

A ZombieTwinkie
04-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Damn. This is damned good. Wish I had a promotional contact to send me stuff like this. Definitely going to have to pick up their CD.

NightUlf
04-13-2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks for sharing this, they sound great.
:rock

dmf087
04-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Oi, you and DMF087 are conspiring against me. She feels the same way. A good majority of the members are from Amorphis and, really, I hear a LOT more Amorphis in this recording then Insomnium.
Yeah, that was only until the clean vocals kicked in, then I shut up and agreed with you. :p

Either way, nice find. I checked out a few more songs and I'm definitely liking this.