PDA

View Full Version : The Neutral Playthrough

Habilis_Orian
04-12-2010, 03:39 PM
I started playing Fallout 3 again so I could get the last few Karma-Based Achievements.

I've finished Good Karma, which was a breeze.

I'm about to finish Bad Karma, which is also pretty easy.

But I'm not too sure about the Neutral Karma Achievements. If anything it would seem like the most difficult ones to get.

So before I start my Neutral Karma Playthrough, would anyone like to give me some hints and tips as to how I should go about playing?

TheDeadspace
04-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Save when you hit levels 7, 13, 19 and just before 29.

You now have a whole level to adjust your karma. Take a look at your pipboy to determine whether you need good or evil. The wastelanders asking for purified water are good for good karma. Just sleep for a week for your house robot to refill to get more water. Also, donating scrap metal in Megaton is easy karma.

For evil, just go on a killing spree in all of the "good" locations (basically anywhere but Paradise Falls). Alternatively, pickpocket and steal everything you can. It's slower to affect your karma, but you're probably less likely to get shot at.

When you get to level 29, pick the Here and Now perk to instantly take you to level 30, then pick the Karmic Rebalance perk to give you Neutral Karma at level 30.

MC Paranoia
04-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Save when you hit levels 7, 13, 19 and just before 29.

This is what I am doing. Even though this game has great re-playability, its easier for the achievements.

Habilis_Orian
04-12-2010, 06:54 PM
It's already too late, as I said I've done all of the achievements and I only need the Neutral Karma Achievements.

I don't mind playing through again though.

MC Paranoia
04-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Well, on your neutral playthrough do everything evenly. Do some bad things, do some good things. I am going through Neutral right now at level 8 and it doesn't seem to be that hard.

MigrantAleXx
04-15-2010, 04:27 AM
Netural can be quite hard to get if your not a very balanced character its all about making every action have a oposite and Equal reaction so if you give water then kill someone ect. if you donate steal to drop it back down

Ozbaab
04-15-2010, 06:21 AM
What I did - Saved the game perhaps 20% to achievement level-up. Go on killing spree in megaton, when desired karma level is reached, exit megaton and travel to places full of raiders / enclave soldiers. Level up and get achievement!
Reload game.

o Mandrick o
04-15-2010, 10:47 PM
I've not looked at this until today so here's what I did so I'm getting all three karma ones on the one play through.

I go through the game stealing what I want and killing the bad peeps. Usually thats good enough to keep get you to bad karma. I've collected loads of scrap metal since the start so about 20 will give you enough XP for about 170. Keep an eye on your points to next level in the Pipboy. When you got REALLY close to level 8 but still level 7, travel back to Megaton.
Create a game save by the bomb ensuring you have bad karma.
Trade in your scrap metal for cash (so as not to affect your current karma level
The XP to tip you into level 8 to get the bad karma achievement.
Reload your game save which will put you by the bomb
Speak to the priest bloke stood ankle deep in the water next to the bomb and talk to him
select Donate to the Church.
Donate 100 bottlecaps
Check your pipboy for your karma.
Repeat the100 donation until it rises to neutral.
Trade in your scrap to tip you into level 8 for the neutral achievement.
Reload your game save, donate more until you get positive Karma and trade your scrap metal.

If you don't have scrap metal, just find a safe that needs picking or an easy terminal hack. Anything to give you the XP you need.
I happened to be in rivet city and about to finish the mission nearing the end of level 7 which was worth 300+ XP
Travelled to Megaton. Uprated my karma. Quick travel to Rivet City, turn in the mission.
I've now done the same at levels 14 and 20using the same method.
For level 30 i will save just before 29, sort my karma out then select the perk to jump you up a whole level to 30 and unlock the associated karma achievement
Repeat for each karma status from the saved game as above.

This is probably already a known method but haven't seen it on the threads I've checked tonight but there are so many that are so long I've not read them all - apologies if this is old news but thought it might be useful to share.