PDA

View Full Version : rubber band trick not working?

halfiepint
04-12-2010, 10:34 PM
I've been trying the rubber band trick with Adventure, and it's only registering 2 minutes each time.

I've tried clearing my cache, and now I'm trying with a key picked up. Has anyone got any time achievements using the so-called "rubber band trick"?

Seraphim Lloyd
04-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Happens to me as well when my controller just turns off so I just press the A button every few seconds so it can register. It worked for me but with a game like Adventure I would at least give it some playtime since its pretty fun.

halfiepint
04-12-2010, 11:15 PM
In this case, I'm using a wired controller. On the trueachievements site, it says to take the key, go into the castle, and in that room there, rubber band the 2 joysticks together. Don't put the key down. It'll bounce against the wall and should work. So they say.

So I just tried it and it got the bronze medal, so at least now it's registering more than 2 minutes at a time.

halfiepint
04-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Yeah, I got Adventure to do this instead of, say, outlaw or combat since those games look dumb and boring. If I'm going to buy a game, I'm going to buy one I'll at least play sometimes.

littlejay
04-13-2010, 01:21 AM
the only real way to boost 36 hours is a turbo controller. well worth the $40 imo for other games that need it

linktriforce007
04-13-2010, 02:33 PM
I've been trying the rubber band trick with Adventure, and it's only registering 2 minutes each time.

I've tried clearing my cache, and now I'm trying with a key picked up. Has anyone got any time achievements using the so-called "rubber band trick"?

Use scotch tape

D00mM4r1n3
04-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Just get Tennis, at the start where it lets you enter your name unplug your controller and plug it back in while holding down on the left stick. This will make the controller constantly think that down is being pressed without the need for a rubber band, and in the Tennis game it will constantly scroll through the letters. You can leave it sit like this infinitely, with only one problem: due to poor programming the game freezes. For me it froze somewhere after 4 hours (I got the 1 hour and 4 hour achievements). I haven't fired it back up yet to see if it autosaved the time played at all - IOTW if just another 4 hours will get me the 8 hour badge or if I have to do a whole 8 hours from scratch.

linktriforce007
04-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Just get Tennis, at the start where it lets you enter your name unplug your controller and plug it back in while holding down on the left stick. This will make the controller constantly think that down is being pressed without the need for a rubber band, and in the Tennis game it will constantly scroll through the letters. You can leave it sit like this infinitely, with only one problem: due to poor programming the game freezes. For me it froze somewhere after 4 hours (I got the 1 hour and 4 hour achievements). I haven't fired it back up yet to see if it autosaved the time played at all - IOTW if just another 4 hours will get me the 8 hour badge or if I have to do a whole 8 hours from scratch.

Do you use a play and charge kit? If not, that would help

halfiepint
04-13-2010, 03:09 PM
I use a wired controller.

halfiepint
04-13-2010, 03:13 PM
To answer your question, it's cumulative time, so yes if you already have the 4 hour achievement you only need to play 4 more hours to get the 8 hour, etc.

halfiepint
04-13-2010, 03:44 PM
So I got the game Tennis, tried to unplug/replug the controller where you're supposed to put your name. Except when I unplug it and plug it back in, I have to press A to continue, which brings me back to the menu, not to the game. What am I doing wrong?

So right now I'm trying the rubberband trick with the letters scrolling. here's hoping.

halfiepint
04-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Didn't work for Tennis either. Only clocked 2 minutes.

So again, how do you unplug/replug the controller without it going back to the main menu?

linktriforce007
04-13-2010, 11:46 PM
I have no idea how you did it, because I used a wireless controller and a p&c kit. but it should be similar.

What I did, was used a bit of scotch tape, taped it all the way to the left, so the guy was running towards the wall, thus still moving. I kept it taped down, went to bed, I woke up and he was still doing it. I own the game too.

In order to check if I got the achievement or not, I went to my profile on xbox.com...

halfiepint
04-14-2010, 01:11 PM
I own the game. I tried using a book like someone on trueachievements dot com suggested, that didn't work either. You check your time when you exit the game, and it's only counting 2 minutes each.

The cursor was indeed moving each time I've tried this but it's not counting the time.

You can check your achievements on your console, just click the dashboard button, scroll twice I think, click on achievements and it will show you what you got.

halfiepint
04-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Tried the scotch tape too, while the cursor was running. Nope. Only clocked 2 minutes. I have no idea what else to do.

D00mM4r1n3
04-14-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm using a MadCatz controller, so I don't know if that makes a difference. Here are my exact steps:

1.) Launch Game Room
2.) Select the Tennis game from my collection
3.) Press Start on the controller to bring up the Atari interface
4.) Select the restart option to restart the Atari game
5.) Unplug the controller
6.) Hold down on the left control stick while plugging it back in
7.) It will be in the pause screen and scrolling constantly through the menu
8.) Press the B button to back out of the Pause screen
9.) The letters for the name entry in Tennis should now be scrolling constantly

I checked mine once last night after 5 hours and again this morning after 13 hours and it was still working. Since it is cumulative, each time I checked it I exited the game to see the medal screen come up with the current time tally, then just relaunch the game and redo the trick for the scrolling letters. The console is not logged in to Live at this time so my achievements haven't updated yet, but you can see the 4 hour and 1 hour achievements on my Live profile. I'll be signing in tonight so it will update with the current tally. I should have the 8 and 16 hour one's by tonight.

linktriforce007
04-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Tried the scotch tape too, while the cursor was running. Nope. Only clocked 2 minutes. I have no idea what else to do.

You must need a play and charge kit and a wireless controller. It's the only thing I can think of. Sorry dude, tough break. =(

littlejay
04-14-2010, 08:33 PM
the street fighter turbo controller.

it's pretty tricky for most people to do it any other way. i know it sucks to hear that if you aint got $40 to plop on a controller with no analog sticks but ive used it in boosting other stuff too like left 4 dead 2 (it has a left and right stick switch for the dpad but you cant use both at once)

you will just have to play a lot. i got blisters by doing the crystal castles trick and just tapping A while i surfed the web on my pc

fabiofranco
04-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Hi. I own a wireless controller. Can anyone confirm that I'll be able to use this trick and get all the time achievements if I buy "Adventure"?

I don't want to pay 240 MS and find out later that this was fixed or doesn't work. ^^'

Thanks, guys.

littlejay
04-14-2010, 11:47 PM
wireless controllers shut off unless you can find a way to keep the analog stick moving all night (like constantly rotating or wiggling

fabiofranco
04-15-2010, 01:36 AM
I see. Thanks a lot, man. ^^

halfiepint
04-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Hi. I own a wireless controller. Can anyone confirm that I'll be able to use this trick and get all the time achievements if I buy "Adventure"?

I don't want to pay 240 MS and find out later that this was fixed or doesn't work. ^^'

Thanks, guys.

Well I tell you what... I spent 480 MS on adventure AND tennis only to find that it didn't work worth a $h!t, even using a wired controller. So I wouldn't recommend it...

and then I found a controller on amazon with turbo feature, so let's see how that works I guess.

halfiepint
04-15-2010, 02:08 PM
the street fighter turbo controller.

it's pretty tricky for most people to do it any other way. i know it sucks to hear that if you aint got $40 to plop on a controller with no analog sticks but ive used it in boosting other stuff too like left 4 dead 2 (it has a left and right stick switch for the dpad but you cant use both at once)

you will just have to play a lot. i got blisters by doing the crystal castles trick and just tapping A while i surfed the web on my pc

The HORI EX 2 controller has analog sticks, that's the one I got on amazon for 34.99, supposedly it has turbo for all buttons, triggers, and directional pad