PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this Version?

[Waggly Bean]
04-14-2010, 01:45 PM
Well I just completed my first run-through, and I'm seeing a few cool things but also a few niggles...

Pros:
- It's Final Fight! :p
- I thought the "cabinet view" was going to be a con, but then I realised you can change the view to fit screen, which makes it OK! Phew!
- Different types of smoothing on offer, including Classic, Smooth, or Arcade Cabinet.
- "The Vault" gives you lots of in-game achievements to add replayability. Not sure how hard the harder ones are, but I did unlock 33 out of 51 in my first play. :D
- Online play.

Cons:
- You can press Start to bring up a Pause Menu, but it doesn't pause the game! :rolleyes: I'm assuming this is down to the drop-in co-op mode, as I had someone join me half way through my game. If this can be turned off, then it's ok. If not, you can't pause at all throughout the game, meaning if you have to take a phone call (like I did) you get the crap kicked out of you! :mad: [EDIT: You can pick 'Custom Game' instead of 'New Game' to do this, or press Y on the main menu to change to 'no online'. Not the most obvious though... :p]
- It didn't seem to let me enter my initials at the end after I finished the game... :confused:

Overall, it's a decent version of Final Fight. The Mega CD version will still be my favourite for the soundtrack alone, but I'm not regretting buying this! :D

AMentalHell
04-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Absolutely awesome! Just what I expected from Capcom.

dirge
04-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Loving it. Final Fight for me is the most perfect side scrolling beat em up. I only hold Double Dragon higher in my opinion for nostalgia reasons. This version is quality and i'm loving the in game achievements!

So far this year we have had the 2 best XBLA titles. This, which gives you two great games for 800 points and Perfect Dark which was also 800 points! Retro classics ftw!

PalmettoPanda
04-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Love it. Seamless online co-op. Those Vault achievements are a lot of fun. The graphics look good and I'm glad they did not go the HD Remix route for these games. I also think the cabinet view is a neat feature, even though it is not a core part of the experience. Overall, an easy buying decision for anyone that likes the genre.

jjharr
04-14-2010, 05:39 PM
It doesn't let you enter your name because the score is taken for your Friends leaderboard instead of the 'cabinet' leaderboard.

True Marvellous
04-15-2010, 12:36 AM
Should have been the Mega/Sega CD version and the new musical score is abysmal other than that its classic Final fight, although I don't remember the enemies been so cheap!!!

Kyanite
04-16-2010, 01:42 AM
Should have been the Mega/Sega CD version and the new musical score is abysmal other than that its classic Final fight, although I don't remember the enemies been so cheap!!!

I happen to like the soundtrack. I wouldn't buy or download it, but it's not bad. As for the enemies being cheap, I can only say that this game was designed to rob kids of their quarters. Final Fight 2 and 3 on the SNES are much easier than this game. Even though they are easier, I would still love to see Final Fight: Double Impact 2 with those two games bundled together. Hagger does the spinning piledriver in those, and each character has an expanded move set.

FamiDude
04-16-2010, 06:26 AM
Only bad things I can say are:

Remixed music is rather gash.
Music doesn't loop, it just starts from the beginning of the track
Achievements glitch

Other than that, it's awesomes!

[Waggly Bean]
04-16-2010, 08:50 AM
I happen to like the soundtrack. I wouldn't buy or download it, but it's not bad. As for the enemies being cheap, I can only say that this game was designed to rob kids of their quarters. Final Fight 2 and 3 on the SNES are much easier than this game. Even though they are easier, I would still love to see Final Fight: Double Impact 2 with those two games bundled together. Hagger does the spinning piledriver in those, and each character has an expanded move set.
I like the soundtrack too, but if you ever played the Mega CD version, you'd know it's very different. It's more atmospheric IMO, although listening to it now it does sound kind of 80's cliche!
Check it out:
YouTube- Final Fight Sega CD Stage 4

Only bad things I can say are:

Remixed music is rather gash.
Music doesn't loop, it just starts from the beginning of the track
Achievements glitch

Other than that, it's awesomes!
I don't think there's any glitchy achievements...

If you're talking about the co-op ones, you just have to make sure the second player joins before the game starts, otherwise you have to do the first level again. That's not glitchy, just poor design! ;)

Vandelheart81
04-16-2010, 11:58 AM
One of the best retro games I've played in a long time! It's brought back alot of memories of smoky nights at the local bowling alley wasting my parents change.

I have to say the unlock that opened the complete "Final Fight" Episode of the Street Fighter cartoon was an awesome addition. I was cracking up when Ken said " Cody you bone everything!"

Aww how time changes the context of things ;)

Wulfaur
04-16-2010, 03:31 PM
I love everything about it except for maybe the soundtrack. The Remixed tracks are good, but the original ones don't sound nearly as good as the SNES version. (thats the version I grew up on)

BuySomethingWillYa
04-25-2010, 06:48 PM
;2996125']Well I just completed my first run-through, and I'm seeing a few cool things but also a few niggles...

Pros:
- It's Final Fight! :p
- I thought the "cabinet view" was going to be a con, but then I realised you can change the view to fit screen, which makes it OK! Phew!
- Different types of smoothing on offer, including Classic, Smooth, or Arcade Cabinet.
- "The Vault" gives you lots of in-game achievements to add replayability. Not sure how hard the harder ones are, but I did unlock 33 out of 51 in my first play. :D
- Online play.

Cons:
- You can press Start to bring up a Pause Menu, but it doesn't pause the game! :rolleyes: I'm assuming this is down to the drop-in co-op mode, as I had someone join me half way through my game. If this can be turned off, then it's ok. If not, you can't pause at all throughout the game, meaning if you have to take a phone call (like I did) you get the crap kicked out of you! :mad: [EDIT: You can pick 'Custom Game' instead of 'New Game' to do this, or press Y on the main menu to change to 'no online'. Not the most obvious though... :p]
- It didn't seem to let me enter my initials at the end after I finished the game... :confused:

Overall, it's a decent version of Final Fight. The Mega CD version will still be my favourite for the soundtrack alone, but I'm not regretting buying this! :D

Waggly Bean,

I don't know if someone has pointed it out already or not, but you CAN pause the game as long as it's not an online game. When you're on the main menu, press 'Y' to disable the online option.

If it's a purely solo game, you can pause it.

As for the initials, yeah, that's gay. But, it treats the arcade cabinet as an actual cabinet that gets turned off when you power off the 360. It still saves your high score for online leaderboards, so it's not so bad.

[Waggly Bean]
04-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Waggly Bean,

I don't know if someone has pointed it out already or not, but you CAN pause the game as long as it's not an online game. When you're on the main menu, press 'Y' to disable the online option.

If it's a purely solo game, you can pause it.

As for the initials, yeah, that's gay. But, it treats the arcade cabinet as an actual cabinet that gets turned off when you power off the 360. It still saves your high score for online leaderboards, so it's not so bad.

I know about the pausing thing, if you read my post, you'll see I edited it in when I found out how to do it. I posted this thread on the release date after my first run-through, so I hadn't really explored all the features yet, which is why I didn't know at the time! ;)

KellyNUTS
05-21-2010, 01:55 AM
Im kinda disappointed they didnt make Final Fight 3 player co-op like the original arcade version, very lazy on Capcoms behalf IMO.