PDA

View Full Version : Original Xbox LIVE support end today!

quickhhh
04-14-2010, 04:36 PM
The king is dead. Long live the king. Feel free to discuss.

From Xcastonline.com
An era of gaming comes to a bittersweet end today, as Microsoft gears up to pull the plug on Xbox LIVE support for Xbox 1. Can you feel the emotion building?

The death of the original version of LIVE has been looming since the February announcement, but after two months, the fateful day has arrived. Starting tomorrow, April 15th, online support for all original Xbox consoles and Xbox 1 games is terminated. This includes removing any DLC for those products, as well as ending multiplayer on Xbox Originals, and backwards-compatible titles that play on Xbox 360. To get the full details, be sure to hit up the official FAQ on Xbox.com, or see Major Nelson's blog for the countdown timer.

As we've previously said, you can continue to play your old games offline, or even via split-screen, but taking them online is no longer an option. But it's not all bad, as this will allow Microsoft to "evolve the service with features and experiences that harness the full power of Xbox 360." Perhaps if we're lucky, Microsoft will start releasing 360-enhanced versions of popular titles over the Marketplace, or at retail, complete with Achievements and multiplayer comptaible with the current LIVE system.

Time to pour one out for memorable Xbox LIVE V1 software, including the likes of Halo 2, Crimson Skies, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Pandora Tomorrow, Star Wars Battlefront II, TimeSplitters, Phantom Dust, Battlefiedld 2: Modern Combat, and countless others. Don't forget that Bungie are holding a special last hoorah for Halo 2 today, so get in on the action and say good-bye to the game that helped paved the way for what online console gaming and community has become today.

Having been actively participating since its beta testing days, I don't think I'll ever forget the memories I have from the service, and its now-pretty-archaic edition. It was a fun ride. But now... to infinity and beyond. Here's to the future of Xbox LIVE!

Lord Montymort
04-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Meh, I just glad I downloaded Yavin Station for KotOR before it was removed.

R Rated Love
04-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Technically it ends tomorrow.

And I think it's dumb. The only reason they've given so far for the termination is giving people more than 100 friends, which is a fucking stupid reason. Nobody needs 100 friends, let alone 200.

xKnight21x
04-15-2010, 01:30 AM
BOOOOOO! Bring it back! Bring it back!

InsaneKiller911
04-15-2010, 02:08 AM
Can always go back to play halo 2 through system link ;)

McGoogles
04-15-2010, 03:13 AM
Is there a boycott or any kind of riot going on at the moment? If so, please guide me to this riot.

Chaos Theory, Halo 2, the best games ever made are being cancelled so that the xbox 360 can have a little more enhancements? Give me a fucking break.

Please, I will start a gang if they do not fix this. Long live Halo 2!

R Rated Love
04-15-2010, 03:19 AM
Is there a boycott or any kind of riot going on at the moment? If so, please guide me to this riot.

Chaos Theory, Halo 2, the best games ever made are being cancelled so that the xbox 360 can have a little more enhancements? Give me a fucking break.

Please, I will start a gang if they do not fix this. Long live Halo 2!

Better start recruiting.

BoBoMaster13
04-15-2010, 03:20 AM
So many fun times on Halo 2. That is the game I first started playing live. :(

BlackTitan666
04-15-2010, 03:24 AM
Technically it ends tomorrow.

And I think it's dumb. The only reason they've given so far for the termination is giving people more than 100 friends, which is a fucking stupid reason. Nobody needs 100 friends, let alone 200. that not the only reason

ac2565
04-15-2010, 03:48 AM
that not the only reason

What are the other reasons?

R Rated Love
04-15-2010, 04:04 AM
that not the only reason

Then please, share your wealth of knowledge. I've yet to hear any actual reason other than "future updates to Xbox Live", with the exception of them making mention of 100+ friends.

dakisbac
04-15-2010, 04:50 AM
Then please, share your wealth of knowledge. I've yet to hear any actual reason other than "future updates to Xbox Live", with the exception of them making mention of 100+ friends.

I don't recall him saying that he knew the reasons, but it seems to me that he's smart enough to realise that there do exist reasons outside the friends list even if he doesn't know them.

To be honest, shutting down the old service will most likely be beneficial only on the technical side (ie the side that doesn't matter to us) but of course they have tell us something. "It will make Live run better" won't suffice, so promising something we (collectively) have wanted for a long time seems good enough.

BoBoMaster13
04-15-2010, 05:10 AM
It would free up server space that is a ghost town for 99% of the original games.

CRAZY 7
04-15-2010, 05:25 AM
Halo 2 is why I have xboxlive. Halo 2 is the best MP game evermade hands down.

Tatanko
04-15-2010, 05:26 AM
I feel like they should have found a way to continue support for the most popular few, i.e. Halo 2. How hard could it be?

StolenPaper18
04-15-2010, 05:28 AM
:eek: Wow...

I cant believe it....

That this has absolutely no effect on my life. :Bounce:

Although, I must admit it is a LITTLE bit sad. There were some great memories on Halo2....that is really about the only game I played on live, at least that I can remember. But, I haven't played Halo2 in years and I don't really miss it...So I'm back to not caring about this news anymore, lol. ;)

Wolfgg
04-15-2010, 05:43 AM
I remember day 1 of xbox live, when unreal championship lagged like a bitch, when I met some people and played Whacked retail for 10+ hours, were some good good times on live, and its sad to see the original come to an end.

Wolfgg
04-15-2010, 05:57 AM
im waiting it out in one of my favorite games, Mortal Kombat: Deception, I had some really good times in this one, obviously no one else is on, but I want to be apart of the original xbox live in some way as its laid to rest.

R Rated Love
04-15-2010, 06:07 AM
I was gonna play Crimson Skies, but every time I've been on in the past few years, nobody plays anymore. Is a shame, that game was awesome.

Been playing Halo 2 this afternoon, will probably play until they pull the plug (assuming it happens at midnight).

I don't recall him saying that he knew the reasons, but it seems to me that he's smart enough to realise that there do exist reasons outside the friends list even if he doesn't know them.

To be honest, shutting down the old service will most likely be beneficial only on the technical side (ie the side that doesn't matter to us) but of course they have tell us something. "It will make Live run better" won't suffice, so promising something we (collectively) have wanted for a long time seems good enough.

If you'd take the time to read my original post, you'd see that I said "the only reason they've given so far..." is the 200 friends. Then he said there are others, which obviously implies he knows of other reasons Microsoft has given for the shutting down of the original LIVE servers. In other words, it doesn't matter if he said he knows or not, if he is going to make such claims in response to what I said (as if to "debunk" my post), he should provide the proper proof for one to assess such claims.

And I'm curious, what is it that "we" have "collectively" wanted for a long time that they've promised to give us? 200 friends? If so, you're essentially just reaffirming exactly what I've already stated, albeit wording it more eloquently, making it sound as if it's something people have actually wanted for a while now.

(I personally would wager that we (collectively) would rather play Xbox Originals on LIVE than have 200 "friends", but I suppose that's besides the point)

Mongolian Beef
04-15-2010, 06:41 AM
That sucks... I always wanted to go back and play some of those Xbox originals (I never owned the xbox, I went with PS2)

I own Halo 2, but now I will never be able to play the multiplayer online. :(
Supposedly it was better than 3, but I guess I will never know.

Volzagia
04-15-2010, 07:00 AM
Its a shame this had to happen, Surely Halo 2 could have stayed live?

Wolfgg
04-15-2010, 07:00 AM
less than 10 mins according to major nelsons blog, but someone did jump in and play several matches of Mortal Kombat: Deception with me so it was nice to have the chance to play it online for the last time.

Y0UNIK0RN
04-15-2010, 07:06 AM
1 min left!

edit: now its dead. So long old friend.

ZanKioH
04-15-2010, 07:19 AM
Rip halo 2 <3

Y0UNIK0RN
04-15-2010, 07:21 AM
can anyone with an original xbox confirm it is down for sure? I do not have one or else I would.

I know it's supposed to be down at the current moment because of the time. Just curious is all.

R Rated Love
04-15-2010, 07:21 AM
1 min left!

edit: now its dead. So long old friend.

I'm still finding matches just fine.

Wolfgg
04-15-2010, 07:24 AM
yea, xbox live original is fighting back, its still rocking atm, but microsoft is a juggernaught that will overtake it eventually

Y0UNIK0RN
04-15-2010, 07:26 AM
yea, xbox live original is fighting back, its still rocking atm, but microsoft is a juggernaught that will overtake it eventually

Hmm maybe it won't get taken down till about 6 am eastern time ? That's usually when they update the 360 everyday.

Iv AJay vI
04-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Sad day. No more Hal.... oh wait, I can just buy Halo 2 for Vista, and get achievements too.

Win.

R.I.P Xbox Live v1

quickhhh
04-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Its still up for a bit...

From Xcastonline.com
Looks like the folks at the Xbox LIVE operations center didn't get their late-night Starbucks and donuts, as they appear to have fallen asleep and failed to do their job. What job, you ask? That'd be referring to the termination of all things first-generation Xbox LIVE, which was supposed to have occur ed at Midnight PST -- nearly 5 hours ago, as of this post's writing. Oops?

Major Nelson's countdown timer ended as it was scheduled to, yet here we are. What's up, Microsoft? Maybe they'll pull the plug later this morning, or this evening; hell, they might even leave LIVE for the original Xbox available until the end of today. Technically that would still make the April 15th date hold true. Those Halo 2 players sure are a ruthless bunch, perhaps the fear of gamer outrage is at work here.

Who knows what's going on up in Redmond, but LIVE v1 is still going strong for the most part as we approach 5 a.m. PST; I'm even still able to play Halo 2. The Giant Bomb guys practically bathed in Red Bull and managed to live-stream their play sessions for over 6 hours straight, having just called it quits mere minutes ago. That's dedication.

So, for the time being (which could change literally as soon as I publish this), it appears you can still get some last-minute matches in on select titles. Make the most of this technical hiccup, for it's not likely to continue much longer.

GreaseMonkeyGB
04-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Long live LIVE. :(
So many memories spending many many many many many many many hours spent of my favourite xbox game, Midtown Madness 3. :rolleyes:

Dustinator
04-15-2010, 02:36 PM
I set my alarm on my phone for 7 pm when I got home so I could download all my DLC for the original xbox. Downloaded everything to my xbox, then popped in the games that were compatible on the 360 and downloaded those add-ons......I had many fun hrs playing xbox games into the wee hours of the morning back in college. Return to Castle Wolfenstein took up the most amount of time. What an awesome multiplayer game RIP

Contrah
04-15-2010, 02:41 PM
No more Halo 2 :(:(:(

sak7395
04-15-2010, 02:43 PM
its gone but now they have more time to spend on the current xbl service

Wolfgg
04-15-2010, 06:15 PM
its still active for me, im not having any problems finding matches in mortal kombat deception.

ThingWitch
04-15-2010, 06:20 PM
As of right now i'm pretty sure it's still running fine. I think it's being turned off tonight at 12:00 which is a whole day later than we were led to believe.

On a side not, did anyone watch the GiantBomb live stream? I watched the entire thing and it was great.

Lord Simmons
04-18-2010, 03:12 AM
I'm one of the last 50 people ever to play Halo 2 online. I am so proud of myself :)