PDA

View Full Version : Quick liscense transfer question

SavageD49
04-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Ok long story short, I downloaded some games and dlc on my friends console with my gamertag, now i want to license transfer them onto mine so they work offline as well.

My question is if my friend doesn't delete or re-download the games and dlc on his console can he continue to play them offline.

MachineZed
04-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Ok long story short, I downloaded some games and dlc on my friends console with my gamertag, now i want to license transfer them onto mine so they work offline as well.

My question is if my friend doesn't delete or re-download the games and dlc on his console can he continue to play them offline.
No. He needs the license for either the xbox or for the tag. If you move the license to your xbox that is associated with your tag, he would have 0 licenses out of the 2 for the games (one tag and one box). Do a search for DRM in this forum.

SavageD49
04-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Cause it seems that the license transfer all it really does is copy the license on the new xbox, doesn't seem to even touch the old one. I fairly sure on that but i need to be 100% sure and from looking at this i THINK that im right http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=169568&highlight=license+transfer

Kamakazi Pear
04-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Sounds like you actually just want to get some of your friends DLCs for free. :)

I think if you transfer licences to your profile on your xbox, then they will just be trials on your friends xbox and account.

But I'm not completely sure.

SavageD49
04-14-2010, 10:28 PM
actually i want to give my friend some dlc, basically want to download it on his then re download it on mine but get the license again online to play them offline because im not using my main account for it

Burning Karma
04-15-2010, 12:41 AM
If you downloaded them with your gamertag and recover the gamertag onto your 360 and do the license transfer, the only way he can play them on his 360 is if he has your gamertag signed in. I am pretty sure that is the only way.

BooseyGirl
04-15-2010, 05:51 AM
When I was in the process of getting my Xbox 360 once upon a time ago, I was sharing my brother's console until I had the last $50 to pick up mine. He downloaded a bunch of Arcade games like Galaga, Paper Boy, Frogger etc, and I was able to play them no problem on my own Gamertag.

After I moved my account to my own Xbox 360 about 3 days later, I wasn't able to play them anymore because they were on his console. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to give your friend some of your DLC short of buying him an MS point card.

Kinda sucks too cause I don't wanna have to spend 2600 MS points to finish out the achievements and game progress I started way back when. So now they sit, way far down on my list for the day to come when I'll buy the games and complete them...

SavageD49
04-15-2010, 01:49 PM
When I was in the process of getting my Xbox 360 once upon a time ago, I was sharing my brother's console until I had the last $50 to pick up mine. He downloaded a bunch of Arcade games like Galaga, Paper Boy, Frogger etc, and I was able to play them no problem on my own Gamertag.

After I moved my account to my own Xbox 360 about 3 days later, I wasn't able to play them anymore because they were on his console. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to give your friend some of your DLC short of buying him an MS point card.

Kinda sucks too cause I don't wanna have to spend 2600 MS points to finish out the achievements and game progress I started way back when. So now they sit, way far down on my list for the day to come when I'll buy the games and complete them...

Ok thats normal, but my question was if your bro did a license thingy on to your new console could he still play his games offline...

Fizzmatix
04-15-2010, 02:13 PM
If you use the license transfer you won't be able to play offline. The whole point of the license transfer to make sure the content tied to your gamertag and console isn't being abused. So basically you would need to be signed in regardless of where the content is recovered to.

If you read the FAQ on the transfer page over at xbox.com it will tell you everything about this. And why they do it, also there are several other things you may find answered there as well.

Filter x360a
04-15-2010, 02:18 PM
No, it won't work. Many people have tried but it's a no go.

Just put it this way, there's no way to "gift" games and DLC to another console with a different gamertag and still have it yourself. Let me repeat - NO WAY.

Offline, Online, Upside down....not going to work man.

Also, here's the link that Fizz mentioned. LINK (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/faq.htm)