PDA

View Full Version : Sony PS3 hit by 10m in cancellations

S The Gangsta
03-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Ouch! The recent UK launch of the PS3 has been over-shadowed by news that has been cancellations of worth more than 10 MILLION from buyers at a business and consumer level.
The long-awaited UK launch of Sony's PlayStation 3 (PS3) games console has been marred by the cancellation of more than 10m worth of orders from retailers and consumers.

Retail industry sources claim the electronics giant has had as many as 20,000 pre-orders of the 425 console cancelled in the run-up to its delayed launch last Friday.

There have been none of the stock shortages typical of earlier console launches and the majority of the cancelled pre-orders are believed to have come from speculators hoping to sell the units on eBay for a profit.Source: http://www.brandrepublic.com/BrandRepublicNews/News/646182/Sony-PS3-hit-10m-cancellations/

I don't understand, it sold 165k in 2 days but then this?

Well I guess Sony can look on the bright side, it beat the Wii on fastest selling consoles...

Flash
03-27-2007, 09:55 PM
I cancelled my Pre-order of the PS3 as, well The 360 is better. Until PS3 gets an exclusive that makes me pee my panties, no thank you sony.

singingbush
03-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Paid my deposit back in July and got my call from the shop to say it was in stock, but didn't bother buying it. It was delayed for so long I just don't care about getting it anymore, not until FF13 at least.

Minty
03-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah O cancelled mine as well. Thats why i dount the figures that have been quoted for sales

PerpetualHeaven
03-28-2007, 02:06 AM
Minty those numbers are still true. Anyways here is some other news. Sony sold 60% of their shipped consoles (they shipped 1 million, 600,000 sold):

Linkage Here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6499841.stm)

More than a million consoles were shipped across Europe on launch day last week with 600,000 sold.
Sony is hoping to retake its title as the console market leader, as Microsoft and Nintendo head the next-gen race.
Meanwhile, games firm Namco Bandai has said it is to use the PS3's Cell chip in arcade machines.
Microsoft sold 71,000 Xbox 360 consoles during its UK launch weekend, while Nintendo sold 105,000 Wii machines.
But both companies offered limited stock to retailers, which led to shortages.
Ray Maguire, managing director of Sony Computer Entertainment UK said the figures were a vote of confidence in the machine.
"Having broken the record for launch sales, we are now replenishing retail stock across the country," he said,
The first arcade title to use the PS3 microprocessor will be fighting game Tekken 6, Namco said.
While PlayStation technology has been used in arcade machines in the past it is believed to be the first time that the Cell will be used for games not running on Sony's console.
Namco Bandai has sold its PlayStation 2 arcade technology to other firms, but it is still undecided about whether to sell its PS3 Cell-based technology, a spokeswoman for the firm said.

ScottEvil30
04-01-2007, 01:12 AM
I bought it in the end on an impulse and am happy I did, its very slick. But tbh I'm only after the blu ray player.