PDA

View Full Version : Do you think there is a link between easy gamerscore games and high prices

jamie1000013
04-15-2010, 12:24 PM
for instance at Game Avatar the burning earth been out for like 3 years is it
20.00 or 31.03 U.S. dollars.

Need for speed most wanted I know its an awesome game but 20 pound still easy achievements as well.

It just seems I have to pay more for easy chievo games anybody know some easy cheap achievement games?

Maybe its because there popular because of the easy achievements I don't know.

Darf Spud
04-15-2010, 12:28 PM
About 2 years ago, Avatar was 10 pre-owned in Game. Now it's 25. Terminator Salvation is 20 as well. So yeah, gamerscore probably does have something to do with it.

Nanbag
04-15-2010, 12:30 PM
why bother buyign a game just for easy gamerscore? its not like you are gonna play it again because it was so fun! (notice the sarcasm)

just do a rental thing like lovefilm or boomerang or gamefly (usa) etc its like a tenner a month and u can do as many games as u like in that month.

jgahagan
04-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Prices usually change because of a high demand for that specific product or a lack of one. Maybe GS does have something to do with it if enough people are only buying it for that reason.

Then again, it's sometimes just a case of a publisher wanting to keep the price 'reasonable', look at MW2, it hasn't budged one bit since launch and that was about 5 months ago. It's hardly the most challenging 1000 either, it's just Activision determined to hold that 44.99 r.r.p. for as long as possible.

Anyway, I digress, I don't fully believe there's a direct link between easy GS and prices, maybe just a co-inky-dink? That's my opinion anyway.

jamie1000013
04-15-2010, 12:43 PM
lol co-inky-dink and I know this is gunna sound well nooby but how do you quote someone? do you just ctrl c ctrl v?

jgahagan
04-15-2010, 12:45 PM
lol co-inky-dink and I know this is gunna sound well nooby but how do you quote someone? do you just ctrl c ctrl v?

Just hit the quote button underneath the desired post and it'll take you to a reply to thread window, just edit from there. :) That's how I do it anyway, I'm sure there's probably a much easier way but I don't know it!

jamie1000013
04-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Just hit the quote button underneath the desired post and it'll take you to a reply to thread window, just edit from there. :) That's how I do it anyway, I'm sure there's probably a much easier way but I don't know it!

I still cant seem to do it jokes tyvm ;-)

Ozbaab
04-15-2010, 01:13 PM
why bother buyign a game just for easy gamerscore? its not like you are gonna play it again because it was so fun! (notice the sarcasm)

just do a rental thing like lovefilm or boomerang or gamefly (usa) etc its like a tenner a month and u can do as many games as u like in that month.

In Sweden we have no real good game rental service. I actually enjoy buying games that have easy achievements if they are CHEAP. I wont by a game that I know is crappy but has easy cheevos for full price.
For ex, I bought Jericho for about 13$ / 9
and Alone in the Dark for the same price.
Jericho was over in a days time, got my 1000GS, pretty much worth it imo!

andami
04-15-2010, 01:16 PM
That's weird because over in the US we can get Avatar for less than $10 at GameStop, but I do agree about the gamerscore raising prices. Just look at Hanna Montana and My Horse and Me.

GreaseMonkeyGB
04-15-2010, 02:17 PM
I think there maybe in some cases. Look at Avatar, i've never played it but every time i look for prices on it it's still goes for around 15-20 :eek:

Filter x360a
04-15-2010, 02:27 PM
It's just business. If a game has a easy 1k, it's going to be rented or purchased more often. Companies see this trend as the game has some life to it so they increase the price a bit to make up for such a rapid drop when it came out. That, combined with prices for ebay and private listings (IMO), make a difference.

I see what your saying, but it's not the companies who are saying "Damn, this has easy achievements - Mark it up!", it's actually us gamers who are increasing the value.

Veyron
04-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Just compare the prices of the same game on other formats such as PS3 and 360 versions to find out if there's a link !

stuntmanjbc
04-16-2010, 01:27 AM
That's what rentals are for.

KillerBEA
04-16-2010, 04:30 AM
It's just business. If a game has a easy 1k, it's going to be rented or purchased more often. Companies see this trend as the game has some life to it so they increase the price a bit to make up for such a rapid drop when it came out. That, combined with prices for ebay and private listings (IMO), make a difference.

I see what your saying, but it's not the companies who are saying "Damn, this has easy achievements - Mark it up!", it's actually us gamers who are increasing the value. :whsThats why we still see avatar in blockbuster, at some points i have seen it in the top 10 mosted rented section. I laugh pretty hard when that happens but it does, so indirectly gamerscore affects prices by directly changing the demand for the games.

Madfrog0
04-16-2010, 05:47 PM
id say no. if its a good game you buy it, if its a gamerscore you want ya rent it.

Lord Simmons
04-18-2010, 03:04 AM
I feel like games with easy achievements tend to be cheaper than other games because those games usually suck.

gromitSWE
04-18-2010, 08:46 AM
no, I don't think so.

TakahashiDemon
04-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Why not join a renting service? I was on a 30 day free trial in one and I didn't pay at all for Avatar :) Plus I got about 6000 worth of free gamerscore, overall though, if you paid, the highest was 18.99 (Lovefilm 3 games at time, unlimited) so it wasn't really that pricey, plus the site has any game you need pretty much.

jamie1000013
04-18-2010, 02:01 PM
might do some renting from lovefilm lol I spend so much on buying new maybe I would save just renting wish I had rented metro 2033 because I thought it sucked lol. Storyline was good but let down by gameplay tbh

vgfanatic1
04-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Prices usually change because of a high demand for that specific product or a lack of one. Maybe GS does have something to do with it if enough people are only buying it for that reason.

Anyway, I digress, I don't fully believe there's a direct link between easy GS and prices, maybe just a co-inky-dink? That's my opinion anyway.

Exactly. They definitely don't base the price directly on gs, but on the demand. And if a lot of people (like people on this site) want a game like Avatar for gs, then, well, the demand goes up. Personally, I don't see the point of buying games for gs, because the whole point of achievements is personal achievement, and, well, hat are you achieving. And even if people did care about your achievements, it's not like Avatar is impressive.

newbsicle
04-18-2010, 04:18 PM
I would say it's because the demand for them is greater. I mean would you rather play a really hard game that was a piece of crap or a decent game that was an easy 1000? I would choose the easier game every time. I have a few harder games but for the most part they're all fun. I won't touch it if it's difficult and a it's game play makes me want to vomit.

Morale of the story. Don't pull a game from your behind unless it has very easy achievements. Sadly that's the only way it'll sell.

marKot1k
04-18-2010, 04:37 PM
I picked up Avatar for 7.99 and Hannah Montana for 6.99 so I wouldnt say thats necessarily true.

I think if games seem to be harder to find in shops, then the price would be higher than you would expect.

When I worked in Game last year, one thing I did notice was that "Easy" GS games were hardly ever found in the Pre-Owned sections. In fact, the whole time I worked there, I didn't even see one single 2nd hand copy of Avatar, Hannah or My Horse and me 2.

Thought that was a bit strange as you would think there would be more selling as pre-owned seeing how they get finished with really quickly.

pongsifu
04-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Why buy Avatar for achievements when you get them in 5 minutes? I rented it, got home, got the achievements and took it back and said it didn't work and got something else. I got back so fast they commented they couldn't believe I even got back home that fast. (normally I don't outright achievement whore like this with crap games but it was for a competition).

Even if you don't feel like lying like I did, renting is still cheaper. Maybe if you have kids or something.

I don't think the achievements have anything to do with it but rather the name tied to it, kids watch Avatar and then buy the game.

marKot1k
04-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Why buy Avatar for achievements when you get them in 5 minutes? I rented it, got home, got the achievements and took it back and said it didn't work and got something else. I got back so fast they commented they couldn't believe I even got back home that fast. (normally I don't outright achievement whore like this with crap games but it was for a competition).

Even if you don't feel like lying like I did, renting is still cheaper. Maybe if you have kids or something.

I don't think the achievements have anything to do with it but rather the name tied to it, kids watch Avatar and then buy the game.

I buy heaps of kids games - easy GS or not. After I grab the points, I give them to my mate. She's not stuck for cash or anything, but being a single parent can be costly enough as it is. Her kids love it when I go past every week with more games for them.

Feels good to be able to help her out and increase my GS at the same thing.

Plus she's a total MILF ;)

OG Baker224
04-18-2010, 08:01 PM
I think so. Like the posts above said GAMEFLY for the easy 1000.

sak7395
04-18-2010, 08:12 PM
usually its to do with how old the game is