PDA

View Full Version : Shao Lin's Suicide?

Gamerdude5448
04-15-2010, 06:21 PM
I have noticed that the 2 people at the very top of the leaderboards of Shao Lin's Road always commit suicide at the very end :eek:. First I want to know why they got themselves killed beacuse they are only 100 points from 1000000. Second I want to know if that even is suicide because the first guy looked liked he was just excited and died but the second guy literally was walking into the enemies.

TheSwordUser
04-15-2010, 07:37 PM
I have a theory...score overflow.
I'm not sure how does it work with that Shao Lin game, but probably the score could roll over back to zero instead of passing the million mark (thank you programmers that underestimated players..or should I thank to whoever developed the hardware?).There are few people that did the same thing with Yars' revenge, and I did it with Road Fighter...you know, score rolling over from 999990 back to 0 is kidna demotivational and in the end, its major waste of time (zero is obviously way too low to be posted on top 20 leaderboards) so why take the risk?

Gamerdude5448
04-17-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm not sure how does it work with that Shao Lin game, but probably the score could roll over back to zero instead of passing the million mark (thank you programmers that underestimated players..or should I thank to whoever developed the hardware?).There are few people that did the same thing with Yars' revenge, and I did it with Road Fighter...you know, score rolling over from 999990 back to 0 is kidna demotivational and in the end, its major waste of time (zero is obviously way too low to be posted on top 20 leaderboards) so why take the risk?

that could be it (cheap game room) but that still doesn't answer my second question.

marKot1k
04-18-2010, 06:57 AM

Yeah - pretty much what I heard too.

We were speaking about this on a retro gaming board, and apparantly in the original hardware, when you get a high-score on whatever game, you would just get a kill screen - or the equivalent of one anyway, you know what I mean - due to the memory limitations.

But now seeing how the memory is no longer a problem, but the games are identical to the originals, the score will just tick round back to zero.

So only way to get to the top of the leaderboards is to suicide as close to the maximum score allowed as possible.

Ooyah
04-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Sadly, this sometimes needs to be done with some games. I can confirm that this is the case with Yars. Go past 999,999, and the score restarts again at 0... and the leaderboard will not remember what you have done!

So when I got up to 999,975 (or something like that), I had to get killed, because any further action would put me back to 0.

It is the only way of retaining a high score, unfortunately... as such it is pefectly legit, nothing dodgy about it at all.