PDA

View Full Version : Xbox stolen from gold medal bobsledder

tarekegypt
04-15-2010, 08:52 PM
It's been pretty much one great thing after another for Steven Holcomb (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10460295-56.html) since winning the bobsled gold (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10461043-56.html) at the Vancouver Olympics. Well, at least until this week.
Holcomb, who is a big-time computer nerd and video gamer (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10454763-56.html), discovered that his prized Xbox 360 (http://www.cnet.com/xbox-360/) and games had been stolen out of his car (http://reviews.cnet.com/car-tech/). And while the $4,000 worth of gear and games has him a little queasy, what really makes him sick are the hundreds of hours of saved games that he had on the console.
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//2010/04/15/Steven_Holcomb_image_270x202_270x202.jpg After six weeks on the road, bobsled gold medalist--and avid gamer--Steven Holcomb was looking forward to some quality time with his Xbox 360.
(Credit: Steven Holcomb)
"It's like a death in the family," Holcomb said in an e-mail interview, "at least for me being single with no kids."
Next to his gold medal from Vancouver (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10461092-56.html)--which was the first for an American in the sport in 62 years (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10461072-56.html)--the Xbox was pretty much his prized possession.
"Well, considering I'm a volunteer and I don't have any possessions, this was a huge loss," he said. "I have a 1990 Honda Accord, a simple Netbook, a bunch of clothes, and an Xbox. What I have lost is equivalent to losing your house, and all the furniture inside. This is devastating, I'm a huge gamer without a game."
The loss of the saved games is particularly painful for Holcomb, whose style is to play games until he's almost near the end, but then savor that last little bit when his character is quite powerful.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20002612-56.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0

xM4N1CM3NT4L3Rx
04-15-2010, 08:56 PM
WoW , out his car ? Dang , thats a kick in the face :(

Daiphyer.
04-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Damn. I'd go outrageous if my X360 ever gets stolen.

pX I Atticus
04-15-2010, 09:58 PM
if my 360 ever got stolen i would hunt them down! Pin them to the floor and put my balls in the face!

Kamakazi Pear
04-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Damn, I feel sorry for him.

Although I'd like to find out how he could afford 4 grand of Xbox stuff if he is a volunteer worker?

domn8rdom
04-16-2010, 02:27 AM
Why was his xbox in his car? does he live in his car since he doesnt have a job? this is a conspiracy! North Korea stole his xbox

VladimirK
04-16-2010, 02:59 AM
Call me somewhat cold, but I can't help but think,
"Fuck him, he can probably afford all that shit again through interview and sponsorship money so stfu with your bitching when this happens to loads of other folk who can't afford to replace it."

I get the save data part, but at the end of the day, I don't care about him, I'm more likely to care about the unfortunate folk who can't afford to replace it.

R Rated Love
04-16-2010, 03:47 AM
"Fuck him, he can probably afford all that shit again through interview and sponsorship money so stfu with your bitching when this happens to loads of other folk who can't afford to replace it."

I get the save data part, but at the end of the day, I don't care about him, I'm more likely to care about the unfortunate folk who can't afford to replace it.

While I tend to agree, there are very few olympians who make tons of money doing what they do. Many struggle to even find enough sponsorship money to actually participate in the olympics, let alone expendable money. There's a reason Home Depot is the largest employer of US Olympians.

Tgisme
04-16-2010, 05:29 AM
Man that sucks. You can always recover the tag, but once the saves are gone, you're screwed. I'd go ape shit if my hard drive got stolen.

mcnichoj
04-16-2010, 06:02 AM
Meh, 27 games is nothing really. Not to mention all his "favorites" are like seven hour games and it shouldn't be too hard to get to whatever point he was at in them.

Did he play on Live at all?

Hangman KB23
04-16-2010, 06:35 AM
That's why I don't leave anything of value in the car, they'll break in just to take your ghetto stereo, I can't say I feel to sorry for him leaving something like that in his car, not only is there the risk of it getting jacked the heat and such, blegh..
-Kaleb B.

Volzagia
04-16-2010, 06:45 AM
Ouch. I'd hate for that to happen to me.

litepink
04-16-2010, 06:49 AM

Because everyone wants an advertising piece of an olympic bobsledder...

Tiger Woods giving Nike negative press?? Call up Steve Holcomb!!:p

I heard that some olympians are actually in debt. Access to training facilities isn't always free. Remember hearing a story of a bobsledder who was in the National Guard to help his mom out financially, since she spent $30,000 to help him train when he was in his teenage years. Anyways, the dude was going to ship out after the games...no sponsorship deals here.

k2345
04-16-2010, 09:51 AM
If my 360 got stolen I would Rage-Quit Life :eek:

vampire-san
04-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Sorry to hear cause I'd probably cry like a baby if that happened to me. but he shouldn't of left it in the car it's his own fault to be honest. To the people who say he can just buy another one I'm sure it's not the xbox itself he is upset about but the saved games. My box hardrive auto reformatted itself like a bitch a week ago and it sucks having to play the game allll over again

yamayamayaamaa
04-16-2010, 11:13 AM
1990 Honda Accord is probably the easiest car to steal from.

David x360a
04-16-2010, 11:23 AM
That's just horrible. At least the thieves could have bought a 16GB memory stick, exported the saved games onto it and sent it to him, lol :D

Ozbaab
04-16-2010, 11:59 AM
"It's like a death in the family," haha
"Norh Korea stole his xbox" lol!

Nuffzx
04-16-2010, 01:58 PM

"Well, considering I'm a volunteer and I don't have any possessions, this was a huge loss," he said. "I have a 1990 Honda Accord, a simple Netbook, a bunch of clothes, and an Xbox."

It's a sad case for any gamer.

tarekegypt
04-16-2010, 02:48 PM

Horrible thing to say....:eek: I only saw an xbox fan who lot his game saves all the effort and time...

GreaseMonkeyGB
04-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Ouch, I wouldn't say my xbox is my pride and joy but i would be pretty damned cheesed off if it was stolen.

Madfrog0
04-16-2010, 06:57 PM
lol thats funny. i feel bad for the guy, but its funny..

VladimirK
04-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Horrible thing to say....:eek:

It's not horrible, it's true.

I seen all the posts about the athletes still being poor, but lets face it, he does have a higher chance of getting it again than a lot of other folk that this could happen to.
Surely that must be bloody insulting to see him bitching in the news about it if you've had the same happen to you.

Probably all just my own views of like what I said, I don't give a fuck about one individual person that isn't even famous for anything useful in the real world aside from making people of a nation proud to be of a certain nation. (I'm not avoiding saying America btw, even if it happened to any EU athlete I still wouldn't care).
It just pisses me off that one person is given such attention whilst it happens to many others who would never get that attention because they aren't famous.

Mister Buds
04-17-2010, 12:11 AM
i definitely feel for this guy. i just lost everything on my hard drive for the second time two weeks ago. fucking sucks.

Hybridchld
04-17-2010, 01:14 AM
Definately unfortunate but he was pretty stupid to leave it in his car.

Gawmonster
04-17-2010, 04:42 AM
Ouch. Need I say more? I'm about in the same boat ... or should I say, I will be in a couple weeks unless I find a new apartment and a better source of income ... I'd just better not get my 360 stolen from me. I'd be just as pissed about the missing hardware (yeah, it can be replaced, but it would be a while before I could afford one) as I would be about the save games. I think I'll start taking regular backups, just in case.

vampire-san
04-17-2010, 05:34 AM
It's not horrible, it's true.

I seen all the posts about the athletes still being poor, but lets face it, he does have a higher chance of getting it again than a lot of other folk that this could happen to.
Surely that must be bloody insulting to see him bitching in the news about it if you've had the same happen to you.

Probably all just my own views of like what I said, I don't give a fuck about one individual person that isn't even famous for anything useful in the real world aside from making people of a nation proud to be of a certain nation. (I'm not avoiding saying America btw, even if it happened to any EU athlete I still wouldn't care).
It just pisses me off that one person is given such attention whilst it happens to many others who would never get that attention because they aren't famous.

My friend is doing shooting and hopes to get in the paraolimpics for 2012. He spends 1000 of pounds on equipment and plane fares to go get the equipment E.G He had to fly to Switzerland to go get a replacement part for one of his guns. His clubs pays for nothing