PDA

View Full Version : My detailed 250gb HDD upgrade procedure experience.

Twigleaf
04-16-2010, 06:42 PM
I just wanted to pass along my experience with the new procedure for buying and upgrading to the newest 250gb HDD on the same console. This is only valid for those who have the recent April console update, which added USB support. If you didnt update, stop reading :)

I can verify that Microsoft has slim-lined and made the process smooth and easy. Assuming one has the April console update, and you throw the transfer instructions out the window. lol.

In short, all you need now, is a transfer cable, and the console picks up the 2nd HDD just as a computer would a plug and play device. It may take 30 seconds, but a menu pops up telling you its found the cable and has options to start a transfer. The console now has added options to the memory - device options ( by hitting Y ). you can now find format drive, transfer files options along with the older cache clear maintenance option. As long as the destination drive is formatted correctly, its a simple process, that just takes time. The new 250gb drives come pre-formated FAT32. Also,

There are NO DRM liscense nightmares to have to worry with unless you are putting the drive on a new console - so DON'T use the liscense xfer tool unless it is a new console.

However, that said, the new process will probably confuse many novice users, because its not as automated as in the past. The newest transfer cd does not work, and I doubt any recent replacement cd's Microsoft are sending out as of Mid-April 2010 will work either, unless they have written a new one in the past week. They will obviously need to resupply everyone who just bought the new 250gb drive with new transfer instructions or a useable disc for free if the transfering process scares you, because some people will ultimately accidently delete everything they have trying to follow defective directions.

Techies, will like the new procedure, because you can move only the files you want to move, and you dont have to move the entire kit n kaboodle over. You have more control. You can even keep the old drive and attach it to the cable for more storage. You cant actively run programs off the second drive, but you can use it as a huge "memory or USB" card for storage persay. In theory, you could buy a 2nd 250 gigger and have a 250gb memory card you can plug in any time. I'm betting they will "fix" this though.

A few issues with new process that I saw.
1: Pray the power does not go out. it moves files, and does not copy them, and delete them later. 120gb of files can take 2 to 4 hours to move. Do it in maybe 10gb increments and 1 category at a time to be safe, as there is 7 to 9 categories to choose to move.
2: It will not transfer the consoles "memory downloadable cache", so some games may not work with save files until you redownload the game update. This happened to me for Rock Band while testing offline. I had to simply get the game title update for all songs to play.offline ( Not a DRM issue)
3: MS support is clueless that this is happenng I think. they sent me 6 emails telling me its impossible to move files without that disc. - form letter style. So people who cant get the cd to work are stuck in an endless non-support loop if they dont experiment on their own.

Anyway, I know it was a long letter, but hopefully this will help some people who are confused why their new hdd instructions arent working. I had some spare time and thought I'd update here on my personal experience with the new upgrading.

/Twigleaf

Madfrog0
04-16-2010, 06:47 PM
i never had a problem, i upgraded in nov.

Twigleaf
04-16-2010, 06:50 PM
i never had a problem, i upgraded in nov.

yay. :)

But like I mentioned, this was after the April console update. Those discs would work fine November. :)

Zainy521
04-17-2010, 02:36 AM
Paragraphs would be nice...
Semi-OT I was looking online to buy a 250gb drive and it was listed on amazon for $100 but it didn't say if it came with a transfer cable. Can anyone confirm it does?
Also, thanks for the heads up.

Langeboy
04-17-2010, 03:37 AM
So will a second harddrive connected by the transfer cable USB, work as a 'memory card'? I upgraded from my 20gb, to a 120, but if I plug in my 20gb using my transfer will it work like a usb stick with this new update?

Twigleaf
04-29-2010, 12:15 AM
So will a second harddrive connected by the transfer cable USB, work as a 'memory card'? I upgraded from my 20gb, to a 120, but if I plug in my 20gb using my transfer will it work like a usb stick with this new update?

As of right now, it will on mine . I'm saying mine, because I dont know what console updates you have gotten. You cannot actively use it playing a game I dont think, nor would I advise it, but you CAN use it as a memory storage device.

I am betting my paycheck though, that this is NOT what Microsoft had in mind, and will prolly change it in a future update. They may ninja update the console, and deactivate that new feature. You could still swap HDD's to get data back I'm sure.

Right now, that cable and old drive would be seen as a plug-n-play device for storage as long as its Fat32 formated, and you can even do that now under memory (hit Y while storage device is highlighted).

Twigleaf
04-29-2010, 12:34 AM
Paragraphs would be nice...

sowwy . I'm on a new Netbook with win 7 Starter. It hates the TAB key. I fixed the paragraphing a bit, but briefly....just for you :)

Semi-OT I was looking online to buy a 250gb drive and it was listed on amazon for $100 but it didn't say if it came with a transfer cable. Can anyone confirm it does?
Also, thanks for the heads up.

If its a NEW one, it has the cable and Transfer CD in it. I have not seen a new (250gb) one that cheap at $100, unless its on sale or from a Amazon Seller. The latter, you take your chances. I think they usually list $129 on average. Buuut.. with caveat.... they have been sales galore on these drives and backordered everywhere.

If its a Microsoft drive, unopened, and NEW... it does have the cable. I got mine one day from gamestop when they had a $20 off and free shipping sale, but if Amazon has them for 100... go for it and hope someone isnt trying to pawn a 120gb off on you. the 250 is actually cheaper msrp than the 120.

$RebelG
04-29-2010, 10:20 AM
I got a 250GB HDD a week or so ago upgrading from my 20GB one. It came with the cable and the CD no problems at all, and it was from Amazon. Even when I plugged in the cable the 360 automatically picked up the new HDD and asked me if I wanted to transfer stuff. Although just to be on the safe side I used the disc.