PDA

View Full Version : HD fried during, lost all game saves

phluffhead19
04-16-2010, 10:44 PM
hi, When my 360 tried updating for the latest update I lost all my game saves due to the hard drive reading 'unformatted' I didn't reset the xbox or anything, but when it was done, so was my HD and all my saves for over 40 games. What hurt was Bully, and Crackdown as I was about 80% done with those. To get these achievements would make me restart at the beginning for everything besides Modern Warfare 2 which when I logged in had my completion %'s correct. It is likely the XBOX,so I am using my spare. I spoke to xbox they didn't seem to want to deal with it, just apologetic. Can we now at least back these up on usb?? ironic

Radical R
04-17-2010, 11:53 AM
can u actually back up saves onto usb sticks? or just transfer them? it would be brilliant if you could copy them. especially for games like forza where you can buy all the cars from one category to unlock an achievement then revert to last back up save to get money back. ooo ill have a go with this later! :)

Kamakazi Pear
04-17-2010, 11:56 AM
I've backed up my Saves on my computer.

Install Xport 360 on your PC. Plug a transfer cable with your HD connected into your PC. Then you can find the Partition with your saves and copy them over, as a back up incase anything goes wrong.

SSJ3
04-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Now I'm scared :(, Do you have any idea why it would just all of a sudden say unformatted?

xM4N1CM3NT4L3Rx
04-17-2010, 12:41 PM
I've backed up my Saves on my computer.

Install Xport 360 on your PC. Plug a transfer cable with your HD connected into your PC. Then you can find the Partition with your saves and copy them over, as a back up incase anything goes wrong.

I want to do that . its legal right ? will it also work with a USB ?

iBlessing 09
04-17-2010, 02:21 PM
You don't need any programs anymore, just the saves from a USB.

xM4N1CM3NT4L3Rx
04-17-2010, 05:48 PM

How big must the USB be ? the Profile size or the HDD size ?

tarekegypt
04-17-2010, 05:59 PM

I would like to do that, backing up save files sounds like a good idea you can give more details on the process?

Kamakazi Pear
04-17-2010, 06:17 PM

Yeah it's... Probably not legal, but I did it by accident, as I was swapping my data from one HD to another, and didn't want to buy a transfer cable and proper disc.
If you use a USB, it transfers data, it doesn't copy it. So I doubt you can back up files with a USB.

Madfrog0
04-17-2010, 06:22 PM
i never heard of that happening. that really sucks. i'm sorry bro.

phluffhead19
04-17-2010, 08:19 PM
No idea why it could of happened. If the power went out i would understand, but the xbox started after the update it kinda stayed at the green xbox360 logo trying to read the drive which it could not. then when i went to memory or tried to access/move stuff from it only gave me an option to format it. I am going to give the drive to a tech buddy of mine to see if he can recover it for me, but I highly doubt it.

Glowin Smurff
04-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Yeah it's legal.
If you use a USB, it transfers data, it doesn't copy it. So I doubt you can back up files with a USB.

It's against the TOC. anything involving xport or any of those programs and accessing your HDD are against the TOC (those programs are a result of reverse engeneering, which is also against TOC) it's also a slippery slope on how detailed you can get because it does come dangerously close to things not allowed here.

Kamakazi Pear
04-17-2010, 09:35 PM
It's against the TOC. anything involving xport or any of those programs and accessing your HDD are against the TOC (those programs are a result of reverse engeneering, which is also against TOC) it's also a slippery slope on how detailed you can get because it does come dangerously close to things not allowed here.

Bleh, didn't realise that. :$ Edited my post...
I only did it because my mate had a transfer cable and disc, but he bought it from eBay so the disc was the wrong one. So I transferred that way to save 13 or whatever it is.

Oh well, it only transferred half my saves over, so I used a USB HD once the update came, instead.

My bad... V.V I saw a post a week or two ago which was saying the same things and someone said it was okay to do... :(

Knowledge fail. :p

xM4N1CM3NT4L3Rx
04-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Yeah it's... Probably not legal, but I did it by accident, as I was swapping my data from one HD to another, and didn't want to buy a transfer cable and proper disc.

hahaha editing doesnt help with smurfs post lol

I wouldnt be arsed to do that , legal or not if I have to think its too much effort , hey a butterfly ......

Kamakazi Pear
04-17-2010, 09:53 PM
hahaha editing doesnt help with smurfs post lol

I wouldnt be arsed to do that , legal or not if I have to think its too much effort , hey a butterfly ......

Read the first line of my response to him...
Or the whole post, for that matter. :)

Minychung
04-18-2010, 01:04 AM
Did you sign up on X-Box Live when you had those achievements? Because if you do, your achievements and your entire files stored online right? So if you lost all game saves, why not format your hard drive and recover your gamertag from XBox Live?

Example:
Gamertag123ABC has 5000 GS, 5 games.

In your situation, lost all game date, but kept achievements.

Lucky Gamertag123ABC logged onto XBOX live after getting his most recent achievement. This way, his account is stored online in its most recent state - the moment he/she logged in.

Gamertag123ABC formatted his Xbox HD, so his damaged file is deleted.

Gamertag123ABC received his former Gamertag, the one same as when he logged onto Xbox Live.

Not sure if all the files will be present, but I'm sure this is a good way?

Barack BEAUbama
04-18-2010, 01:07 AM
Wow man that sucks pretty bad. Sorry to hear that your saves are gone, maybe you should start backing up to a USB?

phluffhead19
04-18-2010, 11:20 PM
what i can't understand is why modern warfare somehow was the only game to actually transfer over live

Glowin Smurff
04-19-2010, 12:27 AM
because the ranks and percentages are stored on IW servers, thus removing some Profile glitches and things of that nature, as far as saves for them go, you don't save to their servers, just the ranks/game status gets uploaded as it's a part of the leaderboards i believe.