PDA

View Full Version : HDMI vs. RGB

Jappe XBA
04-17-2010, 02:47 PM
So I'm currently using the Red Green and Blue wires that came originally with my 360 and I spotted a pretty cheap HDMI cable on the net for sale. Is there any difference between these cables' quality? I think my 1080p quality currently is amazing and can't get much better :p

Barack BEAUbama
04-17-2010, 03:31 PM
If you have an HD TV than the difference between the two is noticeable. RGB on my TV makes the games blur a bit. I need to get an HDMI to bump up the quality.

spyder2g
04-17-2010, 03:34 PM
So I'm currently using the Red Green and Blue wires that came originally with my 360 and I spotted a pretty cheap HDMI cable on the net for sale. Is there any difference between these cables' quality? I think my 1080p quality currently is amazing and can't get much better :p

If you are using the red green and blue (rca) cables you are NOT getting 1080p. The best you can get out of those is 1080i. Not bad but 1080p is a lot clearer. But of course this doesn't matter if you are using a tv that can't do 1080p. You can't even set your xbox to 1080p without using the hdmi. Also there's the matter of sound quality. If you are also using the white and red rca cables for the sound you are only getting 2 channel. If you are using the little plug on the back of thing that plugs into the xbox (toslink cable) you can have the best sound 5.1. The hdmi cable does the best picture and sound. :)

Jappe XBA
04-17-2010, 04:16 PM
If you are using the red green and blue (rca) cables you are NOT getting 1080p. The best you can get out of those is 1080i. Not bad but 1080p is a lot clearer. But of course this doesn't matter if you are using a tv that can't do 1080p. You can't even set your xbox to 1080p without using the hdmi. Also there's the matter of sound quality. If you are also using the white and red rca cables for the sound you are only getting 2 channel. If you are using the little plug on the back of thing that plugs into the xbox (toslink cable) you can have the best sound 5.1. The hdmi cable does the best picture and sound. :)

It says in my system settings I have 1080p Widescreen and Component (HD).

spyder2g
04-17-2010, 05:23 PM
It says in my system settings I have 1080p Widescreen and Component (HD).

I just checked my upstairs xbox and you are 100% right. First, my bad sorry. Microsoft must have put this in with some update. Still, component cables = no 1080p. They must have added "upscaling" support which, to purists, ain't no 1080p. It's the same consept as buying those headphones that claim 7.1 surround surround sound out of 2 speakers. My receiver says it can upscale to 1080p. Hell I even have a regular dvd player that claims it can do it too, and I can assure you it's not even close to blu-ray - better than normal - but not blu ray.

All in all if you can get a good deal on a hdmi cable like 3 bucks on ebay what are you gonna loose? Less wires is always a plus :)

Jappe XBA
04-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Yeah I think I'm getting it :)

XxNickTxX
04-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Your not running 1080p, no matter what Xbox says. HDMI will let you run REAL 1080p, and if you know what to look for, you will see a difference.

Madfrog0
04-17-2010, 06:24 PM
to me, HDMI is very noticeable to me. but not everyone.

tarekegypt
04-17-2010, 06:30 PM

Amazingly sometimes i like the RBG look! I have a Panasonic 1080 always used the HDMI cabel, i was hooking a friend Xbox so i used the RBG cable i was stunned to say the colors more vibrant but the image slightly blury. So? I am using the RBG for a while now like the intense colors.. thats just me though

uncleho
04-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Going HDMI increased my visual and audio quality a lot. I'd recommend it.

Pooly93
04-17-2010, 11:01 PM
I recently got a HD tv for the first time and I used the component cables for the first day I had it, it looked brilliant with component compared to normal, but then I got a HDMI cable for 10 and it got even better.
If you can get one cheap get the HDMI cable, like others have said it improves again over component cables and you have less leads running about everywhere then.

SM Rollinger
04-17-2010, 11:17 PM
ive had rgb, vga and hdmi all hooked up to the same tv. hdmi looks the best by far. the level of detail is the same on the vga and hdmi, however the colors with the hdmi are noticably deeper and more defined. they have that "pop" factor.