PDA

View Full Version : UFC bought Pride

Kaens
03-28-2007, 12:33 AM
Okay, technically the Fertitta brothers (owners of Zuffa) bought Pride, but you get the point.

You can read about it at Sherdog.com (http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=7087) or MMAWeekly.com (http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=3676&zoneid=2). They are going to keep it as a separate company, as they did the WEC, and promise a big crossover event once a year. Personally I'm stoked because now we can see all the big fights that mma fans have been wondering/arguing about.

graemelunn
03-28-2007, 12:41 AM
No F'ING WAY!!! Its great news as, yep Kaens you are right, we get to see some of the MMA superfights we've been craving. However, UFC has made similar promises when buying smaller MMA Fed's and all they ended up doing was asset stripping them and then liquidating the other company or using it as a training/testing ground for those fighters deemed to be "not quite ready" for the UFC.

My only element of concern would be to compare this to the pro wrestling "Monday Night Wars" of years ago - the 'sport' was at it's best thanks to intense competition and has been going through an elongated stagnant period as they have no serious competition anymore. I just hope UFC don't end up going the same way.

But I still want to see Henderson, Sakuraba etc. in more fights and maybe we'll finally get Wanderlei Silva - Chuck Liddell.... maybe....

Sil3nt360
03-28-2007, 01:22 AM
I read this about 10 mins ago and almost fell over. This is going to be crazy. All the worlds greatest fighter under one roof now. UFC Rules!

deej brutal
03-29-2007, 11:58 PM
simply amazing. looks like alot of dream matches will become reality now!

PerpetualHeaven
03-30-2007, 12:50 AM
YAY! Wanderlei will tear new assholes :D
Pride has a way better heavyweight division. Now heavyweight division won't be lackluster.

graemelunn
03-30-2007, 03:13 AM
Agreed about Vanderlei, but dont think you can call a weight division containing Cro Cop lacklustre....

PerpetualHeaven
03-30-2007, 04:24 AM
Yeah there's only one fighter that's extremely dominant. Lackluster in the fact that it doesn't have a wide array. But assuming that the heavy weight fighters are going to fight in the UFC, there's going to be so much talent FINALLY in the heavy weight division. Thing also makes me happy that the talent has gone international. That means people from around the world will no longer join Pride but the UFC. More talent, more fights, and a huge win for the supporters. This is assuming everything goes well and happens.

For other notes, I just looked at UFC 71s fight card.. Q. Jackson vs Liddell. Man, I don't have a job right now but I need to get one so I can watch this fight. My heart burns like that of a thousand suns.

celr831
03-30-2007, 09:36 AM
I've been so busy with school and work I didn't even know. Thanks for posting this up on the board Kaens! This will only bring the sport we love to the next level.

graemelunn
03-30-2007, 08:37 PM
I just looked at UFC 71s fight card.. Q. Jackson vs Liddell. Man, I don't have a job right now but I need to get one so I can watch this fight. My heart burns like that of a thousand suns.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Rampage looked a little out of sorts on his debut but I'll attribute that to him working out the nerves. Liddell recently hasn't covered himself in glory - well, whomever the muppets are whom look after his "interests" - allowing him to make a TV appearance on a breakfast show whilst suffering from a severe bout of pneumonia.

I hope it didn't affect his fight preparation as if both guys are 100% this should be one hell of a fight.

I'm so miffed that I can't see Cro Cop, Bisping, Arlovski etc. when UFC are in Manchester, but I cant afford the tickets or sit around that long in a cramped arena. Oh well, next time...