PDA

View Full Version : I like the game..

BrutishJager
04-18-2010, 07:49 PM
But i get bored before i can really get anywhere. Am I doing something wrong or doing the wrong quests or what? o.O

Massa Siggy
04-18-2010, 07:50 PM
If you're just wandering the wasteland and haven't gotten to any major towns yet, then you could get bored. How far in the story are you?

BrutishJager
04-19-2010, 12:02 AM
If you're just wandering the wasteland and haven't gotten to any major towns yet, then you could get bored. How far in the story are you?

I've started a few playthroughs, and I get screwed over either doing the bloodlines quest line, the main story (i keep dying at the museum), or towards the end of the survival guide >.<

Massa Siggy
04-19-2010, 12:06 AM
You can put the difficulty on very easy if you're having trouble. It really makes a difference.

Ozbaab
04-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Maybe, the game is not for you..
I love just walking around exploring random buildings, subway stations, the wasteland, etc~ I never get bored! :)

MigrantAleXx
04-19-2010, 10:06 AM
i used to get very bored wen i first started it but i just had to really get into the game and learn how to play i hated it cuz i kept dying and i wasnt saveing so i was loseing heaps but now i understand the mehcanics of the game i love just walking around and doing quests.

Ozbaab
04-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Yepp just walking around and looking/exploring sure is nice :]

BrandAid1138
04-19-2010, 12:28 PM
when i first started i was at normal difficulty and was getting killed left and right. i finally turned down the difficulty and really got into it. Just started figuring it all out. Remember saving your games is a must and use the hot-key function for weapons (i figured that out late too and once i did it made a world of difference).

jdd895
04-19-2010, 06:43 PM
If you are getting bored then try making little goals or games for example try making all the way around the edge of the map without dying or see how many people you can pickpocket without getting caught.

xbfrittsox360
04-19-2010, 07:40 PM
yea when i first started playing i was terrible as well. i treated it as a regular FPS because i had no idea VATS existed to be completely honest. i accidentally hit it and that made everything much easier for me in terms of accuracy and surviving. so use VATS to your advantage if you're having problems! once you figure out how to play well and die less often, the game becomes literally exponentially better.

BrutishJager
04-19-2010, 10:41 PM
I don't actually have a problem with the game mechanics, nor do i think exploring is boring. But I just think that the quests i do are too difficult at the time i do em, and No, I refuse to set the difficulty down. I think I'm just doing the quests in a bad order, or missing guns, or making my character wrong. I should just go back to oblivion. xD

BadBoyKillah89
04-20-2010, 02:25 AM
They're too hard yet you refuse to set the difficulty down? Come on now. Check this out, there's 30 Levels for your charcter (assuming you have the Broken Steel DLC). There's 5 difficulties. What I did was start out the game at the lowest difficulty and up it every 6 levels. Therefore you wouldn't seem completely overwhelmed and the game still gave you a challenge at whatever level you're on. Levels 0-6 (Very Easy), Levels 6-12 (Easy), Levels 12-18 (Normal/Average), Levels 18-24 (Hard), Levels 24-30 (Very Hard). This worked out great for me, never TOO hard & never TOO easy at anytime. If you don't have the BS content, then up the difficulty every 4 levels (20 Levels, 5 Difficulties).

BrutishJager
04-20-2010, 04:22 AM
They're too hard yet you refuse to set the difficulty down?

It's on normal. I refuse to play ANY game on a difficulty lower than that. That's generally the setting reserved to noobs to the genre. It's just oblivion with guns as far as i can tell. From the responses, I'm guessing I should just experiment a bit more.. xD

KNIGHTOFSERA
04-20-2010, 04:51 AM
I personally dont care if I have the difficulty on low with RPGs....to me its more about the world and story....and I dont let the stigma of easy being for noobs stop me, because its pointless....its not a macho man challenge, nobody will know or care if youre on easy...

but maybe thats just me

BrutishJager
04-20-2010, 05:16 AM
I personally dont care if I have the difficulty on low with RPGs....to me its more about the world and story....and I dont let the stigma of easy being for noobs stop me, because its pointless....its not a macho man challenge, nobody will know or care if youre on easy...

but maybe thats just me

I understand that. But it's not about what anyone else thinks, I just don't want to play a game on easy unless I'm boosting. Games were designed to be beat the first time on normal :P

Sixthbrick
04-20-2010, 05:49 AM
I understand that. But it's not about what anyone else thinks, I just don't want to play a game on easy unless I'm boosting. Games were designed to be beat the first time on normal :P

i agree with both you guys, i love rpgs and the story is a big deal to me, so when i play for the first time its more or less on "normal"
once i have it beat for the first time and i know what iam doing i play again either for points or just for fun on easy for good time for all :)

BadBoyKillah89
04-20-2010, 06:30 AM
It's on normal. I refuse to play ANY game on a difficulty lower than that. That's generally the setting reserved to noobs to the genre. It's just oblivion with guns as far as i can tell. From the responses, I'm guessing I should just experiment a bit more.. xD

A game like this shouldn't even have difficulties, but because it does I like to incorporate all of them. On linear run-of-the-mill shooters, I always run-through them on the lowest difficulty and go through each until I've completed the highest difficulty. Open-world games are a whole different ball-game. They shouldn't even have difficulties, but since some developers insist they should, I like to see how each and every difficulty is. There's no way in hell I'm running through a big game like this on every difficulty (individually) and that's why I do the whole upping the difficulty as I progress. There's no shame in playing a game on lower difficulties, in fact you get more out of your games that way.

But anyways, I was just putting in my two cents. I figured that if you felt the quests were so hard that you were considering dropping this game to go back to Oblivion, it could only benefit you to drop the difficulty until you feel like your character is ready to take on a bigger challenge. Regardless, this game is great (even considering all the bugs/glitches that still plague this game). Once you get the hang of it, you'll be glued to it. :)

BrutishJager
04-20-2010, 06:49 AM
The story is important in any genre :D Soon as I finish up splinter cell, I'm gonna get back into fallout and see what i can do this time around >.<

BrutishJager
04-20-2010, 06:51 AM
A game like this shouldn't even have difficulties, but because it does I like to incorporate all of them. On linear run-of-the-mill shooters, I always run-through them on the lowest difficulty and go through each until I've completed the highest difficulty. Open-world games are a whole different ball-game. They shouldn't even have difficulties, but since some developers insist they should, I like to see how each and every difficulty is. There's no way in hell I'm running through a big game like this on every difficulty (individually) and that's why I do the whole upping the difficulty as I progress. There's no shame in playing a game on lower difficulties, in fact you get more out of your games that way.

But anyways, I was just putting in my two cents. I figured that if you felt the quests were so hard that you were considering dropping this game to go back to Oblivion, it could only benefit you to drop the difficulty until you feel like your character is ready to take on a bigger challenge. Regardless, this game is great (even considering all the bugs/glitches that still plague this game). Once you get the hang of it, you'll be glued to it. :)

I was glued for awhile. I'm sure I CAN get into it if I can just figure out how to get through my issues :P

MigrantAleXx
04-20-2010, 07:21 AM
it should have adaptive Diffiuclty that changes depending on the players skill that would make it alot better.

GamesB2
04-20-2010, 01:59 PM
On standard FPS i refuse to play below normal for my main runthroughs.

If im just playing about i'll do it on easy sometimes but as a "true" runthrough i prefer to use the hardest difficulty.

This is not a standard FPS in my opinion, it's and RPG FPS with a lot to see and do. So i played it on easy all the way through and just enjoyed the whole game thoroughly.

Skode
04-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Wandering the plains is never dull nor should it ever be as long as you remember you can teleport to any settlement you have previously visited when you get to the stage that youd rather get cracking with a quest or even seeing if you can discover a new one.

There are many places on the map youll never be directed to via any quest and as such only discovered by walking around exploring DC... there is one lovely town where everyone is really lovely, just dont look in the level 100 lock shed :locked

BrutishJager
04-27-2010, 01:40 AM
lol sounds like bethseda. There was a random town in oblivion that had a quest, that you can only find by exploring. A town full of cannibals or something like that. Was rather scary :P

Pogo27
04-30-2010, 06:21 AM
Can someone who has trouble with this game and has to set the difficulty to Very Easy please post a youtube video of them playing the game?

I really don't get it. How can you struggle with this game on normal or below?

These must be the people who always get put on my team in Call of Duty...

As to the OP, you seem to think your problem isn't so much the difficulty level you're playing on, but rather the order you're doing the quests (or maybe you've got a bad character build?)

If you're looking to start a whole new character build, without telling you exactly how to map out your character, I suggest focusing your skill points to SNEAK, SMALL GUNS, REPAIR, as primary, and then some points in medicine, science, speech, and lockpick. Explosives can also be useful.

REPAIR is the skill used in repairing weapons and armor. The higher this skill level, the better you can make your equipment. Higher repaired armor deflected more damage, while higher repaired weapons deal more damage.

SMALL GUNS effects the amount of damage you deal with small guns, which include the pistols, rifles, and shotguns. It also effects your accuracy. And personally, of all the weapon categories (small guns, energy weapons, big guns, melee, and unarmed), I've found small guns to be the best for numerous reasons.

SNEAK effects your ability to creep around undetected. The higher this skill level, the closer you can get to your enemies without detection. This skill is useful for two reasons. First, you can get closer to your enemy and assess the situation and decide on a battle plan BEFORE you start fighting. Second, and perhaps more importantly, any sneak attack is automatically a critical strike.

A nice sneak-attack head-shot can many times be a one-shot kill. This means if you're fighting one enemy, there's no fight at all, and if you're fighting a group, you start the battle with one less enemy.

Medicine makes your stimpaks more effective. Lockpick and science help you access areas with useful equipment, or shortcuts around enemies. Speech can help you circumvent entire portions of quests all together. You can even skip an entire quest out of the main storyline by winning a speech challenge.

Now, as for quest order... first, it's important to understand that if you're following the main storyline, the enemies you run into are geared toward this level. Additionally, a lot of times through the main storyline, you have assistance from the Brotherhood. Let them fight your fights if need be. You should be able to play all the way through the main quest at any point in time, though the enemies you encounter while traveling from quest point to quest point may be too tough for you, so be careful.

Anyway, I'm playing through the game right now on a new account and I had a pretty good idea of the optimal quest order for the side quests outside the main storyline, so I'll pull up my achievement list to see what order I've completed the quests in and maybe you can try this:

*Wasteland Survival Guide
**Nuka-Cola Challenge
***Trouble on the Homefront
Power of the Atom
Tenpenny Tower I help the ghouls in order to get the ghoul mask reward for this quest, which saves the trouble of having to fight ghouls for the rest of the game.
Replicated Man
Blood Ties
Big Trouble in Big Town
-Operation Anchorage (DLC)
The Superhuman Gambit
Strictly Business
Rescue from Paradise
Those!
Oasis
Agatha's Song
You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head
Stealing Independence
Head of State
Reilly's Rangers

*I started on the Wasteland Survival Guide as soon as I first got to Megaton and simply worked on it at my own convenience. I generally picked up a section of this quest as I was working on another quest in that area. Essentially all parts of this quest can either be done in town or overlap with another area.

**I still haven't actually finished the Nuka Cola Challenge. In fact, I haven't even talked to the NPC that gives you this quest. However, the quest is simply a matter of collecting 30 Nuka Cola Quantums, which I started doing the instant I stepped out of Vault 101. I have 29 so far and have just started working on Reilly's Rangers. When I get the 30th, I'll go start, and finish, this quest.

***This quest involves returning to Vault 101. It's a pretty easy quest, if I remember correctly, but you have to progress through the story some bit before this quest even becomes available.

Once I finish Reilly's Rangers, I intend to then go back and play through the main story quests, including the Broken Steel DLC, and then I'll go through The Pitt, Mothership Zeta, and Point Lookout, probably in that order.

It is important to note that many of these quests can be done with very minimal (or none at all) fighting. The fighting is primarily a matter of getting from point to point, but you can talk your way through most of the quests, particularly if your speech rating is good enough.

I'll also add that Operation Anchorage can be done at essentially any level, and the equipment you're rewarded with for completing this makes the rest of the game pretty easy.

Now, if I remember right, the following quests can be done with little to no fighting. Any fighting in these quests would be small things like mole rats, or radroaches or maybe some ghouls: Power of the Atom, Tenpenny Tower, Replicated Man, Blood Ties, Strictly Business, Rescue from Paradise, You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head, Wasteland Survival Guide.

So, I don't know if it's the order you're doing quests in or your character build. If you want any more advice, just let me know. My quest order isn't necessarily the best, and you have to keep in mind, that I did this already knowing my way around the Capital Wasteland very well. I don't get lost and venture into areas my character can't handle, etc.

BrutishJager
04-30-2010, 10:17 PM
These must be the people who always get put on my team in Call of Duty...

As to the OP, you seem to think your problem isn't so much the difficulty level you're playing on, but rather the order you're doing the quests (or maybe you've got a bad character build?)

That first bit was rather offensive. Mind you i have a positive k/d on MW2 :uzi:

It's just the order i'm doing it in. I try to play it like oblivion, but that clearly doesn't work xD I normally skip the main quest line until much later.

Pogo27
05-01-2010, 02:17 AM
That first bit was rather offensive. Mind you i have a positive k/d on MW2 :uzi:

Uh, that wasn't meant to be pointed at you, just so you know. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

There are people who have posted on here about playing on the easiest difficulty and still are having trouble. These are the people I wonder about.

Anyway, I hope my post was otherwise helpful.

Spawn 0f Hell
05-01-2010, 01:13 PM
I got lost in the subway tunnels during the GNR mission and it really annoyed me the first time I had it, I've got it again and I've noticed that there's a local map as well as a world map in the Pip-Boy...

Fixelbucket
05-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Uh, that wasn't meant to be pointed at you, just so you know. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

There are people who have posted on here about playing on the easiest difficulty and still are having trouble. These are the people I wonder about.

Anyway, I hope my post was otherwise helpful.

I did this on the lowest difficulty and had some trouble in the start of the game xD

And I understand you... If I played online FPS and got on your team you would triple facepalm after 5 minutes. I suck at FPS games in general.

But back to Fallout... I had some trouble at first before I found the V.A.T.S thingie but I do believe the game is scaled based on your level so the quests should all be equally difficult?

Still an awesome game :)

Pogo27
05-01-2010, 02:44 PM
I did this on the lowest difficulty and had some trouble in the start of the game xD

And I understand you... If I played online FPS and got on your team you would triple facepalm after 5 minutes. I suck at FPS games in general.

But back to Fallout... I had some trouble at first before I found the V.A.T.S thingie but I do believe the game is scaled based on your level so the quests should all be equally difficult?

Still an awesome game :)
Well, obviously, as with basically any game, there is somewhat of a learning curve. I wasn't a master the instant I picked up Fallout (I may be now though...).

The thing is though, there are relatively few battles that should even feel that difficult if you're playing on normal or below. And many of those battles that should feel difficult are through the main story quest line, and you'll usually have some assistance from the Brotherhood of Steel, who will basically fight entire battles for you.

But the challenge of this game isn't about maneuvering and reaction speed like FPS games. Sure, there's a degree of that in FO3, but even if you're terrible at FPS games, you can still play this well. This game is ultimately about manage your character and your characters skills.

First and foremost, when it comes to combat abilities, don't try making your character "well-rounded." Choose one. Small guns, big guns, energy weapons, explosives, unarmed, or melee. Stick to it. Max that out first. Ignore the rest.

And now, make sure you're managing your equipment right. Are you a small guns character? Well, stick to small guns. Pick up shotguns, rifles, and pistols, while leaving laser rifles, missile launchers, power fists, brass knuckles, baseball bats, etc. all behind.

And guess what, at ANY point in time, you can push B to bring up your pip-boy and freeze the combat to think about what you want to do.

Don't forget, you can also do this to heal yourself back up to max health IN THE MIDDLE OF A FIGHT! But by the same token, don't feel like you always need to be keeping yourself at max health via items. Try to use your heals sparingly--you never know when you truly need them. Remember, sleeping in a bed gives you max health.

If you're struggling with FO3, you've either built your character wrong, your playing your character build wrong, or you're adventuring to areas that are too difficult for your current level.

The main story line quests ARE scaled to your character's LEVEL. Everything outside the main story line is NOT scaled. And none of the scaling has anything to do with the player's ability.

Keeping in mind that the main story line quests ARE scaled, it is advisable to play a good chunk (or all, if you have Broken Steel) of the main story as this will be a good way to get your character leveled up a bit. It shouldn't be too tough, but it won't be necessarily easy either.

If you play mostly main story first, a lot of the side missions later may be boringly easy, however.

Pogo27
05-01-2010, 02:46 PM
I got lost in the subway tunnels during the GNR mission and it really annoyed me the first time I had it, I've got it again and I've noticed that there's a local map as well as a world map in the Pip-Boy...
Yeah...the subway system is extremely expansive. Keep in mind that as long as you make sure to keep the quest active, you'll get a marker on your compass.

I, for one, actually quite enjoy getting lost adventuring through the wasteland and such. I'm on my 3rd playthrough, and I'm still discovering areas I'd never noticed before.