PDA

View Full Version : Twilight + Screamo = Tears from epic levels of frustration and rage

ApochWeiss
04-19-2010, 12:38 PM
*Sorry if this thread appears twice, there were complications when I posted it. If there are two, please feel free to remove the other one. Thank you.*

I bought this EP when it dropped on the 13th. Typically, Century Media puts out some good metal and hardcore, so I figured $2 US for an EP from that label? Worth a listen, and may become valuable over time like the Slayer EP Hot Topic exclusively carried.

Upon listening to it to review for my zine, I found this band, Vampires Everywhere! is essentially Twilight influenced Screamo with Electronica. After listening to it twice in total disbelief and entering it on my third run through for the review, random proclaiming that "VAMPIRES DON'T FUCKING SPARKLE!!!" to make sure I still have my male parts in working order, I began to cry.

Why? Not because it's good, but because I'm enjoying the song Immortal Love, and because the electronica completely destroys the song during the chorus and frustrates the fuck out of me because it is 100% not required for the song and is completely tacked on.

So, here's their video as proof. Enjoy.

YouTube- Vampires Everywhere! - "Immortal Love"
Vampires Everywhere!: Lost in the Shadows Review (http://www.apochs.net/CDs/VampiresEverywhere-LostInTheShadows.html)

Gorilla Stomper
04-19-2010, 04:00 PM
When the guitars first kicked in, I was like "This aint half bad" and then the rest of the song started and I was like "OMG FOR THE LOVE OF ZEUS WHY?!?!?!".

Excuse me, I must go and cleanse my ears with Madonna... Or Napalm Death.

ApochWeiss
04-19-2010, 05:06 PM
When the guitars first kicked in, I was like "This aint half bad" and then the rest of the song started and I was like "OMG FOR THE LOVE OF ZEUS WHY?!?!?!".

Excuse me, I must go and cleanse my ears with Madonna... Or Napalm Death.

In the best Captain Murphy Sealab 2021 voice... "I warned 'im"

Volzagia
04-19-2010, 05:25 PM
That was awful :eek:

StolenPaper18
04-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Is the girl in the video that one skank from the Real World?

AZNg0d104
04-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Music is evolving. Deal with the change.

VladimirK
04-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Why did I have to listen to that video?
I knew I wouldn't like it, but it was worse than I thought.

Okay, I'll give it it's due, I liked the drums right at the start, then it was bad.

Now to listen to something else to cleanse my ears...
(At this point listening to 2 pitbulls going at it would be an improvement). :p:biglaugh

Muffin the Holy
04-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Music is devolving. Deal with the change.

Fixed.

But, out of all seriousness, I have a closet full of guilty pleasures. I enjoy bands like Attack Attack, Asking Alexandria, etc, but this will not add to it. The metalcore/screamo/electronica mix is officially overcooked with this. That's where I draw the line.

AZNg0d104
04-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Fixed.

But, out of all seriousness, I have a closet full of guilty pleasures. I enjoy bands like Attack Attack, Asking Alexandria, etc, but this will not add to it. The metalcore/screamo/electronica mix is officially overcooked with this. That's where I draw the line.

You older generation are just not used to us creating and developing a new style of music.

Gorilla Stomper
04-19-2010, 06:05 PM
You older generation are just not used to us creating and developing a new style of music.

No, music IS devolving. Everything is now a rip-off of everything. No two styles can go together without clashing anymore. Shit is not cash.

The only styles of music I have any faith in anymore is Math metal and Grindcore.

VladimirK
04-19-2010, 06:07 PM

Haha, I don't think it's just a case of an older generation.

More a case of that these bands are actually shit in many people's opinions. :p;)

ApochWeiss
04-19-2010, 06:09 PM
No, music IS devolving. Everything is now a rip-off of everything. No two styles can go together without clashing anymore. Shit is not cash.

100% agreed. I would much rather listen to the aforementioned 2 pitbulls going at it then this. I can't freakin' stand screamo sometimes, and all of emo. It pisses me off. I admit I like the music behind this song but it's ALWAYS the vocals to these style of bands that piss me the hell off.

I'm 24. I'm not the older generation. I'm still in the experimentation stage. I just don't like whiny kids whining into my ear and calling it music :D

AZNg0d104
04-19-2010, 06:12 PM
100% agreed. I would much rather listen to the aforementioned 2 pitbulls going at it then this. I can't freakin' stand screamo sometimes, and all of emo. It pisses me off. I admit I like the music behind this song but it's ALWAYS the vocals to these style of bands that piss me the hell off.
Music has many faces. There's so many styles, it's hard trying to be original.

Haha, I don't think it's just a case of an older generation.

More a case of that these bands are actually shit in many people's opinions. :p;)

Well, those are just people's opinions. As well of mine. But I can 'almost' guarentee if you ask a different age group, one being young adults, and the others being older adults, the older adults will dislike the screamo. (Did they even have screamo back then?)

Gorilla Stomper
04-19-2010, 06:13 PM
But it's ALWAYS the vocals to these style of bands that piss me the hell off.

Hence the reason I stopped listening to Bring Me The Horizon.

ApochWeiss
04-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Music has many faces. There's so many styles, it's hard trying to be original.

...what the fuck does that have to do with every emo/screamo band having a whiney ass vocalist?

Well, those are just people's opinions. As well of mine. But I can 'almost' guarentee if you ask a different age group, one being young adults, and the others being older adults, the older adults will dislike the screamo. (Did they even have screamo back then?)

I agree that many won't like what I listen to. Cannibal Corpse is not necessarily the band my grandfather would have listened to. Then again he was a pretty tough individual and served in the war, the intensity of that or even Slayer would probably have been up his alley. But, I'm sure older adults would hate it too. They probably have whiny kids too, why would they want it in stereo? ;)

VladimirK
04-19-2010, 06:18 PM

I'm a young adult and still think it's a lot of angsty teen bullshit :woop:
I do think that with stuff like this, the people liking it are really in the minority. (Usually the sort of people with tight jeans and a stupid haircut may I add :p).

ApochWeiss
04-19-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm a young adult and still think it's a lot of angsty teen bullshit :woop:
I do think that with stuff like this, the people liking it are really in the minority. (Usually the sort of people with tight jeans and a stupid haircut may I add :p).

So basically the demographic who dress like they are a Flock of Seagull's reject but yet have NO idea who the fuck Flock of Seagull's were.

Muffin the Holy
04-19-2010, 06:22 PM

I'm 21 years old. I don't exactly consider myself old, or of an older generation.

I enjoy all forms of music, in what I believe is good music. In my humble, biased opinion, this is not good music. It's just another group of musicians paid by a record label to put out the same kind of crap that the kids are listening to at the moment so they can earn their share and move on. Some bands do well with following suit and making music that's popular in today's trends. Like I said before, I enjoy Attack Attack and Asking Alexandria, because they pull off the genre well, in my opinion, but this just sucks. It's sloppy and overdone.

It's the same with bands like A Day to Remember. How many pop punk/metal/hardcore fusions do you hear nowadays? ADTR may have not been the first band to try this style, *coughnewfoundglorycough*, but they pull it off with inhuman precision and other bands are getting signed to follow suit and rake in cash.

All in all, what I meant about the devolution of music is that it's becoming more and more commercial. Sure, it's always been the entertainment business, but, they dragging a genre out until it sucks the life out of it gets a little old.

AZNg0d104
04-19-2010, 06:30 PM
...what the fuck does that have to do with every emo/screamo band having a whiney ass vocalist?

Quoted wrong, chill.

Norman Coxwell
04-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Music is devolving. Start a band and save it.

Fixed. Got a problem with the music, make your own.

As for the video, everything I hate into one package.

AZNg0d104
04-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Fixed. Got a problem with the music, make your own.

As for the video, everything I hate into one package.

I actually agree with that statement. Grab a group of friends and make your own music. Try to tackle the challenge of creating originality. It's too hard. I've tried.

ApochWeiss
04-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Quoted wrong, chill.

I'm chill, was being sarcastic cause it made no sense. Shoulda probably put a winkey face at the end. Digital sarcasm is hard to comprehend (not being an ass, I'm being serious)

Tussell
04-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Honestly, it's not Twilight inspired.

If you notice, then name of the band is also the name of the Comic given to Corey Haim by Corey Feldman in The Lost Boys.

They're just an all-around vampire inspired band.

I'm not trying to defend them, as I haven't even listened to them, but still... Just saying.

A ZombieTwinkie
04-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Honestly, it's not Twilight inspired.

If you notice, then name of the band is also the name of the Comic given to Corey Haim by Corey Feldman in The Lost Boys.

They're just an all-around vampire inspired band.

I'm not trying to defend them, as I haven't even listened to them, but still... Just saying.

Thanks for confirming that for me, Tussell. I was thinking that I had heard/seen that name somewhere before but couldn't pin-point it.

As for the band itself. It was good until he starting his attempt at singing. I just can't stand vocals like that.

ApochWeiss
04-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks for confirming that for me, Tussell. I was thinking that I had heard/seen that name somewhere before but couldn't pin-point it.

As for the band itself. It was good until he starting his attempt at singing. I just can't stand vocals like that.

I actually didn't have a clue the band name was actually inspired by anything honestly. And after I saw the video and heard the lyrics to the song that video is of, it just sounds like they were inspired by Twilight. More sarcastic then anything.

A ZombieTwinkie
04-19-2010, 07:32 PM
I actually didn't have a clue the band name was actually inspired by anything honestly. And after I saw the video and heard the lyrics to the song that video is of, it just sounds like they were inspired by Twilight. More sarcastic then anything.

Yea, I figured you were, Apoch. I hear you, though. I would have thought the same thing with the whole Twilight thing going on.

hopesfall2win
04-20-2010, 02:04 AM
What'd you expect, they are just feeding off the vampire success that's mainstream. What is else is popular in music now? Electronica..so..not really surprising. It's catering to their teenage emo audience.

Massa Siggy
04-20-2010, 02:09 AM
No thanks. I think I'll stick with listening to...well...everything but this and rap.

Some You Me At Six should purify my ears.

BarbaricGoose
04-20-2010, 03:21 AM

If 38 is the "Older" generation you're referring to, I'll cast my vote for "This music is garbage and not actually music."

If I had to guess when screamo originated, I'd say '95, or so. I don't remember anything before then even remotely similar, course, I probably didn't listen to anything that could be considered "Screamo" back then.

Postmodernmartyr
04-20-2010, 05:49 AM
If 38 is the "Older" generation you're referring to, I'll cast my vote for "This music is garbage and not actually music."

If I had to guess when screamo originated, I'd say '95, or so. I don't remember anything before then even remotely similar, course, I probably didn't listen to anything that could be considered "Screamo" back then.

Yeah... screamo or whatever probably did start around 93-95ish, but it was a lot different, Emo has been around since 1984 when Rites Of Spring (whose members would later go on to form Fugazi w/Ian Mackaye) and other hardcore bands in the DC area, started writing lyrics with more of an emotional scale than just anger... I like to think that stuff that commonly get's called emo, or even screamo are really just a genre I dub Pop Emo, kinda like pop punk, and I'm not really into it, although I won't try to put down those who are (but I recommend all you fans of this kind of music to check out the band Cap'n Jazz, this kinda music might not exist if not for them), but music ISN"T devolving!!! It is changing... it's becoming increasingly more corporate, but there is an opposite to that and some of it you might like and some you may not...

I like to consider myself a connoisseur of new music... but then again, I like weird noise stuff, Rythmic screamy stuff, and artsy hip hop, so maybe you shouldn't take my opinion!

elephantd
04-20-2010, 06:12 AM
do not want.

AZNg0d104
04-21-2010, 01:25 AM

I'm not attacking a specific age group. Just saying in general.

BarbaricGoose
04-21-2010, 03:00 AM
but music ISN"T devolving!!! It is changing... it's becoming increasingly more corporate, but there is an opposite to that and some of it you might like and some you may not...

I wouldn't say it's devolving, either. Music is music. Saying music is devolving is like saying art is devolving. There's simply no way to measure it. I think this music is horrible, but I wouldn't condemn someone for listening to it. I'd just stop associating myself with them. I kid.. Unless they're listening to it constantly.. In which case, I'd definitely avoid them.

Music has changed over time, that's for sure. Something like this appearing in the 60's would be insane, and something like Bobby Darin nowadays is equally insane. I don't think there were that many teenage singers before the 70's. The DeFranco Family is the only band I can think of, and it pains me to think of them. So now we've got tons of these teenage bands, and the type of music that's being released shows this. If you hated your parents, and wanted to rebel, screaming into the microphone with very angry, very whiny guitars would probably be a good start. I just feel sorry for the parents that have to tolerate this. They sit down, the kids start playing, their ears bleed, and they tell their kids it was wonderful. Ugh.

Although, if I may play the devil's advocate, considering a lot of these bands probably care nothing about music, and just want to be cool, or rebel, I guess you could say music's devolving. You certainly won't hear any deep lyrics, or imaginative melodies from most of these bands, because it's all been done before.

I'm reminded of Kings of Leon when I say "These bands just want to be cool." There's a great article with them saying how lame it is that the parents like their music. Cracks me up every time. I know it was posted on this website before, but I can't find it for the life of me.

I'm not attacking a specific age group. Just saying in general.

Oh I know, I just like voting. :p

VladimirK
04-21-2010, 07:26 AM
is like saying art is devolving

http://dreamstudies.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/thescream.jpg

Or...

http://artforhumans.com/myspace/0page/tracey-emin-my-bed.jpg

Sorry, what was that? :p:biglaugh

Postmodernmartyr
04-21-2010, 07:33 AM
I don't find anything wrong with the second image as art...

VladimirK
04-21-2010, 07:45 AM
I don't find anything wrong with the second image as art...

You mean except that it's just pretentious bullshit done by a lucky no-talent whore?

Almost all modern "art" is a lot of shit imo, the only ones I do like are the dissected animals simply because they are pretty interesting.
I think it's totally pathetic that it even gets space in galleries.

There was a show here about modern art students trying to get into the Saatchi gallery. It was hilarious, but at the same time it was pretty disgusting because of how serious people were taking it.
A pile of fucking chapatis is not art.

Postmodernmartyr
04-21-2010, 07:47 AM
You mean except that it's just pretentious bullshit done by a lucky no-talent whore?

Funny, your whole post sounded pretty pretentious to me...

BarbaricGoose
04-21-2010, 07:52 AM
Almost all modern "art" is a lot of shit imo, the only ones I do like are the dissected animals simply because they are pretty interesting.
I think it's totally pathetic that it even gets space in galleries.

Argument invalid. Sorry.

The quality of art is entirely subjective. As is music, for the most part. It cannot be judged.

Skillet
04-21-2010, 08:00 AM

Frickin' AMEN, man. It's like if there was a version of it without the vocals, it wouldn't be half bad. But I absolutely HATE anything with scream-o or growl-o vocals. I don't really see the point in screaming into a microphone for four minutes. It's not talent, it's just stupid. Hell, I could do it... but my vocal chords would be trashed by the end of the first song.

That's not to say that I don't tolerate it in some odd cases. When a lead singer throws a few odd screams in here and there. Or when it's used in an Epica-like fashion. Speaking of which, here's a video! :D

YouTube- Epica - Cry For The Moon

Guilty pleasures and all that...

VladimirK
04-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Funny, your whole post sounded pretty pretentious to me...

Haha, you're the one defending modern art.
You don't get more pretentious than all that shit and the people that like it.
Trust me, when it comes to that you can be as pretentious as you like when comparing proper art to modern art and I'll be fine with it, even as much as I usually hate all these pretentious pricks.

Argument invalid. Sorry.

The quality of art is entirely subjective. As is music, for the most part. It cannot be judged.

This whole thread is about opinions, unless you haven't read the thread.
That happens to be my opinion, it was a joke at first, but then it was taken seriously, so I simply voiced my opinion.

BarbaricGoose
04-21-2010, 08:57 AM
This whole thread is about opinions, unless you haven't read the thread.
That happens to be my opinion, it was a joke at first, but then it was taken seriously, so I simply voiced my opinion.

Can you really do anything without having an opinion on it? I've never really thought about that. I'll have to try it, sometime.

I realize this thread is about "Opinions," even though it isn't, it's about music. You expressed your opinion about art, and I said that that is all you can have when it comes to art. Because it cannot be judged. The great thing about art is that you can like piece X and not Y, but Y is still art. Some other fellow could love Y and hate X, but X is still art, as well.

So, I guess you could say that is my opinion. Except for the fact that you cannot judge art. If you were to try, what would there be to judge?

I digress. I didn't mean to start anything. Just my opinion. :p

ApochWeiss
04-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Frickin' AMEN, man. It's like if there was a version of it without the vocals, it wouldn't be half bad. But I absolutely HATE anything with scream-o or growl-o vocals. I don't really see the point in screaming into a microphone for four minutes. It's not talent, it's just stupid. Hell, I could do it... but my vocal chords would be trashed by the end of the first song.

That's not to say that I don't tolerate it in some odd cases. When a lead singer throws a few odd screams in here and there. Or when it's used in an Epica-like fashion. Speaking of which, here's a video! :D

YouTube- Epica - Cry For The Moon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dys1_TuUmI4)

Guilty pleasures and all that...

You mention scream-o and growl-o. heh. Well, I want to point out I've done vocals in various pitches and ranges. The first real band I worked with was a metalcore act which brought me to screaming. With enough skill and practice you can do it, have harmonization and proper pitch, without any pain at all. Do it from the diaphram. I left shows able to talk and sing if I wanted. Only problem is it's exhausting. I most recently did the "growl-o" vocals you speak of for a death metal act that never took off (it's caller "gutteral" by the way, not "growl-o") and, again, you need to practice to make it sound good.

I know I rip of screamo vocals being whiny, and I couldn't really do it if I tried. Mostly because I don't want to honestly. My vocal range goes from a very deep gutteral (think Amon Amarth I guess, been compared to them) to high falsetto's like King Diamond. The latter kill my throat but I can do them and just need to practice and get it down right. I give these vocalists credit, but I think it's stupid. Of course there are people out there who think vocalists who scream like a baby who was told he couldn't have a cookie at the grocery store trying to make mommy cave so they get said sugary snack is good, then whatever, more power to you. I much prefer something either beautiful (in your case, Epica) or powerful and/or intimidating. Hell even demonic!

The vocals make the album. I can't count how many damned times I've walked into FYE to have my ears perk at one sick as hell "core" breakdown thinking some new metalcore or deathcore act I should look into only to have some emo transvestite wannabe screaming like a "pretentious" child about how his girlfriend left him and now he's all depressed and the various levels of depression he has gone through and how he wants her back and slits his wrists at night without her and bla bla bla yackity schmackity, whatever the hell prepubescent lyrics could go in there. (And don't say emo/screamo like that doesn't exist, I've read lyrics, "cut cut cut my heart out stab stab stab my heart right open, leave me here to die as I bleed upon my broken heart oh {repeat chorus}" in a whiny voice makes me feel feminine and childish, sorry haha)

But, AGAIN, I respect the style, no matter how much I bash it, because it's still *grinds teeth* music... :D

Postmodernmartyr
04-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Nope, nothing I said sounded pretentious... and what a person likes and doesn't has nothing to do with being pretentious...

And I just liked that photograph, and then my girlfriend told me the whole story about the piece, and it's way cooler than just a picture of a bed, and yeah, I do like Scream... but I'd rather see modern art over thousands of paintings of flowers or plants, or a bunch of boring landscapes...

VladimirK
04-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Can you really do anything without having an opinion on it? I've never really thought about that. I'll have to try it, sometime.

I realize this thread is about "Opinions," even though it isn't, it's about music. You expressed your opinion about art, and I said that that is all you can have when it comes to art. Because it cannot be judged. The great thing about art is that you can like piece X and not Y, but Y is still art. Some other fellow could love Y and hate X, but X is still art, as well.

So, I guess you could say that is my opinion. Except for the fact that you cannot judge art. If you were to try, what would there be to judge?

I digress. I didn't mean to start anything. Just my opinion. :p

You can do things whilst masking your opinion, but I would think that you would form an opinion about almost everything you do.

And see, that's my problem, I understand that perfectly well.
Like you might love one game, I might hate it and vice versa.
However, I just cannot see and could never see how it can apply to modern art.
I just find that it's pretentious bullshit, like I mentioned the chapatis, some douchebag piled up 2000 of them on a rug and then tried to claim about how it was all of his culture and this junk.
I think the problem is that my brain tells me that it is what it is rather than buying all their shit. (Which is kinda weird, because I do like abstract stuff and finding a meaning for weird things. Like they do only in different things like nature or even actual art).

As for facts, ask art critics. They seem to be doing okay for themselves :p

And yeah, the opinion part, very cute ;)

Nope, nothing I said sounded pretentious... and what a person likes and doesn't has nothing to do with being pretentious...

Trust me, I've been and seen modern art before at exhibitions.
You wouldn't find a bigger bunch of stuck up wankers if you went to some high society thing in a huge country manor. :biglaugh

Postmodernmartyr
04-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Trust me, I've been and seen modern art before at exhibitions.
You wouldn't find a bigger bunch of stuck up wankers if you went to some high society thing in a huge country manor. :biglaugh

You can't judge every fan of modern art by as couple of bad experiences... and of course people in an art museum are probably pretentious, but they don't speak for everyone...

BarbaricGoose
04-22-2010, 10:39 PM
As for facts, ask art critics. They seem to be doing okay for themselves :p

But that's criticizing, not judging. I could criticize the Mona Lisa because she's not as hot as Paris Hilton, and if the piece were called "Paris Hilton," I'd criticize it for being a stuck up whore with a false sense of entitlement, but it would still be a priceless work of art. Well, the Mona Lisa would be.. If Mr. Da Vinci painted the Paris Hilton, I think one could find an appropriate price.

And Art Critics.. They're pretty pretentious. When you think of an art critic, don't you typically think of someone stroking his beard, sipping expensive wine and saying "Yes.. Yes.. This is quite a maaaaarvelous piece of art. I find that it's *Big word* and *Bigger word* work well together with it's overall *Big word*."

VladimirK
04-23-2010, 09:20 AM
But that's criticizing, not judging.

Ehh, that doesn't really make sense.
They are judging it with what their views are then writing/recording this.

BarbaricGoose
04-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Ehh, that doesn't really make sense.
They are judging it with what their views are then writing/recording this.

Yeah. You're right. I didn't think that one through.

My point about art critics still stands, though.

VladimirK
04-23-2010, 08:59 PM
My point about art critics still stands, though.

Haha, you are right on it.

It's the same for any critic I suppose.
Some self-important jackass that loves nothing more than to think that their view on something actually matters in the grand scheme.

Daiphyer.
04-23-2010, 09:32 PM

This.
I actually liked the music itself but when he started singing(Or screaming) I went nuts. I mean I like some screamo bands like Linkin Park but this was just awful.

Joker0fLife
04-23-2010, 09:38 PM
That was garbage...I really can't stand the motives behind emo/screamo bands.

Ah, Parkway Drive...this song explains clearly why I hate emo/screamo bands.

YouTube- Romance Is Dead - Parkway Drive