PDA

View Full Version : Buying Accounts For MS Points

vgfanatic1
04-19-2010, 07:10 PM
I was searchuing on Ebay lately, and I saw several high rated seller selling 4000 ms points ($50) for $25, buy it now and free shipping, except it was accounts pre-loaded with the points and not actual codes. First off, are the methods these people get the points from legal. I somehow doubt that someone bought the $50 ms points, preloaded them on a new account, and would sell them for half the price. Also, even if you did buy them, could you send them, like as a gift, to a different account. If not, could you download things such as games on demand and use them on a different account on the same xbox?

If this is not legal, then I won't even consider buying them. But if it is, well...

JJ UK
04-19-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm pretty certain that you aren't allowed to sell an xbox live account, as technically it Microsoft's property - Also, people like this usually hack accounts or scam people for their passwords, then buy some points with its registered CC and sell the account on

If he wasn't doing something like this then there would be no reason not to just give you the points card himself.

SSJ3
04-19-2010, 07:39 PM
They either steal someones Account who has a Credit Card on there and get like 10,000 Points on there. Or they convince Customer Support that their Points were robbed.

Both of them are Illegal and will get you banned so I would suggest staying away from them.

InsaneKiller911
04-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Illegal as in going to jail for 5 years and meeting a new friend called Big Jim. - No

Against the terms of service. - Yes

CRAZY 7
04-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Yeah you might want to stay away from this just for the fact that its most likely a stolen account and your xbox could be banned from live.

SSJ3
04-20-2010, 01:01 AM
Illegal as in going to jail for 5 years and meeting a new friend called Big Jim. - No

Against the terms of service. - Yes

You could get a fine if your using someone's money from there credit card.

InsaneKiller911
04-20-2010, 01:04 AM
You could get a fine if your using someone's money from there credit card.

But he's not using the persons credit card. The account is preloaded with the points. If you had to go to court for it, just show them proof that you bought it from ebay and who you bought it from. That person will then be charged with credit card fraud if the account/card was stolen.

xtye
04-20-2010, 01:50 AM
But he's not using the persons credit card. The account is preloaded with the points. If you had to go to court for it, just show them proof that you bought it from ebay and who you bought it from. That person will then be charged with credit card fraud if the account/card was stolen.

Possession of stolen property...in a way.

Glowin Smurff
04-20-2010, 02:05 AM
could also constitute fraud.

ogbross
04-20-2010, 03:39 AM
I'm pretty certain that you aren't allowed to sell an xbox live account, as technically it Microsoft's property - Also, people like this usually hack accounts or scam people for their passwords, then buy some points with its registered CC and sell the account on

If he wasn't doing something like this then there would be no reason not to just give you the points card himself.

We sold are souls to microsoft :uzi:

Killer66250
04-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Fairly certain those accounts are phished, just recovering them to your xbox will get it banned.

Ozbaab
04-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Sounds phony.. I won't ever buy anything that has to do with MS points from ebay.

BooseyGirl
04-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Those accounts are stolen. I actually know someone who had bought one of those accounts pre-loaded with MS points, he's a good friend of mine. He went and recovered the account after all the information was sent to him at the end of the Auction and it wouldn't let him.

He called up Microsoft to find out why he wasn't able to recover it and gave them the information on the account. It turns out that it was stolen from someone, and that over $150 worth of MS points ha been loaded on there from the person's credit card, so they had the account locked. He freaked out and told them that he had bought it on eBay and was able to avoid a heap shit of trouble.

Wortsenawl
04-20-2010, 12:38 PM
I don't get why anyone would think this is a legitimate deal. First of all, it is far too good a deal, which should immediately raise questions and secondly, this has been posted tonnes of time and each time the same answer it given. It is a scam of sorts.

Method
04-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Bottom line is that it's a scam that can have legal ramifications for those who participate. It's best to think of MS points cards like a pre-paid credit card. If someone offered to sell you a $100 pre-paid card for $25 you would know it's a scam. Same principle applies here.

That said, I'm locking this down as it's not something we need to discuss or consider any longer.