PDA

View Full Version : Firefly/Serenity

josherpillage
04-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Favorite show ever, i just finished the one and only season, still need to watch Serenity though

Re-goddamn-diculous it got cancelled

Any other fans?

Dustinator
04-19-2010, 09:28 PM
I am expressing my opinion now....This show sucks. There is a reason it got cancelled after one year. I just don't see how others find this show cool. Not my taste I guess

Shinobi273
04-19-2010, 09:41 PM
I am expressing my opinion now....This show sucks. There is a reason it got cancelled after one year. I just don't see how others find this show cool. Not my taste I guess

Meh, I liked it enough. I felt the characters were likable enough and the story was engaging to me. Everyone who likes the show knows the network didn't do anything to help the show except allowing it to be sold on DVD. The time changes and showing the episodes out of order really killed it.

I like it enough to play a stupid browser game and lead a group of other players in a fleet called Browncoats. starpirates.net if you're interested. There are referrals, but that is not the address for a referral for me.

The Pants Party
04-19-2010, 10:07 PM
LOVE IT. Shinobi hit it on the head why it was canceled. Whatever network it was on gave it the death slot of Friday night (same place they put Whedon's Dollhouse which was quickly killed off - though that one did suck), plus they showed what they thought to be a more "exciting" episode first, which was not the first episode of the series, thus giving a series premier that did not introduce the characters and shoved viewers in the deep end, alienating people right off the bat and getting few "casual" viewers to return.

This show has a HUGE cult following though, and for very good reasons.

Iconoclast
04-19-2010, 10:10 PM
I loved it. Thought the movie was great, but would have rather had a continuing storyline through another season than to have to wrap it up in a movie.

Fantastic cast though, and a perfect demonstration of character development at its finest.

Gorilla Stomper
04-19-2010, 11:04 PM
I loved this show AND Serenity. I hate Fox for cancelling it before the first season had even ended. They can go suck a fuck.

Qonok
04-19-2010, 11:10 PM
It is a great series and movie. Loved how the characters related with each other. Not to mention many of these actors actually went on to do very well with themselves.
Nathan Fillion (Mal) went on with a hit series "Castle"
Alan Tudyk (Wash) and Merena Baccarin (Inara) are in "V" now.
Adam Baldwin (Jayne) is in "Chuck"
Jewel Staite (Kaylee) made it in Stargate: Atlantis.
and then Summer Glau (River) was in "Sarah Conner Chronicles"
From the movie David Krumholtz (Mr. Universe) is the star of "Numbers"

Seeing this it wasn't the actors that were bad. I do think that since it was sci-fi the network really didn't give it a chance.

Vonzipper
04-19-2010, 11:16 PM
The first season didn't even get to finish did it? I loved this show so much.
Nathan Fillion is awesome.

Filter x360a
04-19-2010, 11:17 PM
One of my favorite shows of all time. Actually, Nathan Fillion's family lives just 15 minutes away from me. He comes home every year for Christmas (except last year) and signs autographs for fans and a local charity food drive. He's a super nice guy.

I wish the show had more support back in the day, I really do.

josherpillage
04-19-2010, 11:34 PM
i just watched the special features on the DVD and Joss sort of explains why it got cancelled, the whole Fox airing it out of order like everyone said. Fox didnt feel like there was enough action in it, they wanted Whedon to jump straight into the action while Whedon wanted to get more involved with the character stories first.

Kaylee is by far my favorite, and i think shes definately better looking than Inara, which my buddies all fully disagree with. River cracks me up. The episode where the bounty hunter boards Serenity is my favorite.

Vonzipper
04-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Actually, Nathan Fillion's family lives just 15 minutes away from me. He comes home every year for Christmas (except last year) and signs autographs for fans and a local charity food drive. He's a super nice guy.

He's really dedicated to his fans for sure. Has anyone seen the series Castle with him in?

Dustinator
04-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Everyone who likes the show knows the network didn't do anything to help the show except allowing it to be sold on DVD. The time changes and showing the episodes out of order really killed it.

Hmmmmm. That would explain it being cancelled quickly then. Didn't know that before. I guess I'm just the minority here in not liking it. Oh well, that's cool it has lots of followers even though it didn't make it. More power to you guys :p

AsbestosPenguin
04-21-2010, 03:52 PM
I also just watched the series and the movie. I feel so lame for having waited so long to see it, and not being there for it when it was actually on TV. I have no freaking clue why they canceled it, or rather, why the ratings didn't soar. I guess when it all comes down to it, it doesn't matter how good a TV show is, it's all about marketing and getting the numbers to justify it.

Awesome show. Wash is my hero.

HarperBird
04-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Watched Serenity before watching Firefly but both are truly awesome!

Last year at uni a group of us has a Firefly/Serenity Marathon which was an epic event!

Dead Sanny
04-21-2010, 07:05 PM
The show was good, but i couldnt see it lasting for more than one or two seasons even if it didnt get cancelled. its an interesting concept and the characters are pretty funny, just the whole genre mash seemed a bit odd, sci-fi western?

CodSteaks
04-21-2010, 07:46 PM
loved this show, one of my favorites. it's a shame fox didn't know what they were sitting on at the time, we could have had even more of it.

ProfoundSpartan
04-22-2010, 12:40 AM
Yeah I'm a big fan of the Stargate shows and I just got into this one not long ago it really is sad it got canceled....

exo-apollo
04-22-2010, 02:19 AM
T its an interesting concept and the characters are pretty funny, just the whole genre mash seemed a bit odd, sci-fi western?

But everything set in space is a Western right? It is just another unexplored frontier. It's stupid that Fox wouldn't trust Whedons judgment, I mean come on he had already given them hits.

Dark Reality
04-22-2010, 02:38 AM
Saw both twice. Unfortunately I didn't catch it when it was new. I heard about Serenity when it was new, and wondered what it was, heard about Firefly, but it took me a few years to actually watch it.

It's a hard show to like, at first, but I love the hell out of the concept now. It's basically cowboys in space. The classic Old West/Frontier theme applied in a sci-fi setting. And somehow, it works. I always heard about how the original Star Trek was supposed to be a Western, but I never saw it. Firefly just is, without trying.

After I finished Serenity... my wife and I were still watching Babylon 5 at the time, but when we finished, we watched Firefly and Serenity both, and she's as big a fan as I am. Not enough to play a browser game, but we sure love the show and the movie. (We then went on to watch Battlestar Galactica (the new one), and now Doctor Who.)

Schryke
04-22-2010, 07:45 AM
I didn't get into the series while it was on air, I got into it after I saw Serenity at the theaters.

I wish Fox had given them at least another season, but they have a long track record of cutting shows loose before the first season even ends.

I just got done rewatching The Sarah Connor Chronicles and while they did give them two full seasons the second season was a cliff hanger so it's kind of the same story.

Jemocasa
04-22-2010, 06:04 PM
The show was good, but i couldnt see it lasting for more than one or two seasons even if it didnt get cancelled. its an interesting concept and the characters are pretty funny, just the whole genre mash seemed a bit odd, sci-fi western?

Star Trek TOS spawned 5 followup shows, and (so far) 11 movies. Not bad for a sci-fi western.

OT: Loved Firefly and Serenity. Fox has a terrible track record for sci-fi shows.

domn8rdom
04-22-2010, 06:31 PM
I watched both and never understood why they cancelled so quickly. The movie was good and Firefly was even better

josherpillage
04-22-2010, 06:37 PM
first time seeing Serenity, in bluray, in t-minus 120 minutes

phnx80DP
04-23-2010, 12:12 AM
This was such an underrated show. Good cast, good characters and interesting storylines. Why hasn't Whedon learned not to pitch his ideas to FOX. They always screw things up.

ace2ey
04-23-2010, 03:44 AM
Love the show, better than the movie, it took me getting through the first episode though, by the end of the first disk I couldn't stop watching. Still check out shows if they have actors from it. And yes that means I watch Castle.

josherpillage
04-23-2010, 07:29 PM
poor Wash, i teared a bit i wont lie, more so knowing that there would be nothing else to watch once Serenity ended, so sad

Music-My-Savior
04-24-2010, 10:38 PM
I watched Serenity before Firefly and liked the film and characters so much that I bought the first series and I've watched it a good seven times, it's awesome.

FOX have a habbit of cancelling shows though I hear and the way they aired the episodes in America was so totally out of order that people must've been wondering what the hell was going on what they were watching. It was doomed to fail as soon as it aired that way and that sucks.

I was going to check out Castle because of Fillion but it's not on TV here yet let alone DVD so I'm going to have to wait, hopefully a show pans out for that guy cause not much has so far and he's a great actor.

Sir N1B
04-27-2010, 06:52 AM
Ties with the battlestar galactica reimagining as best sci fi tv series ever

Schryke
04-27-2010, 02:16 PM
I was going to check out Castle because of Fillion but it's not on TV here yet let alone DVD so I'm going to have to wait, hopefully a show pans out for that guy cause not much has so far and he's a great actor.

I haven't checked out Castle yet, but I'm a fan of Fillion's, I think it went back to when he was on Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place, he was pretty good as the bad guy on Buffy too.

Dark Reality
04-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Star Trek TOS spawned 5 followup shows, and (so far) 11 movies. Not bad for a sci-fi western.
Star Trek TOS wasn't a western. Analogies have been drawn (Kirk is the cowboy and Spock is his Indian, e.g.) but they're all flawed and there's really no Western element except perhaps for Kirk's attitude. Firefly is a western that takes place in a future/space setting, and Star Trek TOS is nothing like it.

Also, TOS didn't spawn 11 movies, it spawned 8 so far. The first six, Generations, and the new one. Unless you count the post-TOS stuff, in which case you could have said that it spawned a cartoon and 25 seasons of live-action TV as well.

Ties with the battlestar galactica reimagining as best sci fi tv series ever
Look at LOST. Firefly is great for the concept, and BSG '05 is great for the moral ambiguity. LOST is lite sci-fi, but despite not taking place in space at all, it's got enough, though you couldn't tell by the first season. LOST is all about character development (and should be studied by all screenwriters -- at least the first season). With LOST and BSG, the third of the best serials of the '00s, IMO, is 24. No real sci-fi there, pretty sure everything they do is possible, or near about. Season 7 is dated as in November 2007, so they take place in the '90s to now (though some tech wasn't available for when the first few seasons took place, they also didn't give a date then, either).

scoonmillar
04-27-2010, 10:03 PM
both movie and show were good but i like his new show castle its just started in the uk but by the wonder of the net am at the end of season 2

Sambuca Queen
04-29-2010, 07:44 PM
One of my all time fav shows. Didnt like Serenity as much though, poor Wash :(
I love all the characters, but my favs are Jayne and Mal, got my own Jayne hat too XD Along with a Browncoat shirt, Serenity model, Jayne, Mal and River figures, Firefly lunch tin, the scripts to the show, comics and Serenity novel XD

Yes, my rooms full of Firefly and Serenity stuff!! FOX are prats for cancelling it and I bet the pricks regret it!

PuK3
05-09-2010, 07:55 AM
One of my favorite series'. The movie was all right, but a continuation of the show would have been way better. Still hold a grudge towards FOX for canceling such great shows!

MelangeAddict
05-13-2010, 02:59 AM
I was a late comer to Firefly when it was one of the SciFi Channel's weekday marathons. Enjoyed it immensely and bought the box set. I thought the movie was awesome and even read one of the comic book stories.

I was lucky enough to get a pic of Nathan the last time I visited Comic Con

Chaos GMR
05-13-2010, 03:15 AM
Liked it, the movie was also good.

Sirius
05-13-2010, 03:33 AM
I loved Firefly! I thought Serenity was great as well :D

hannar__x
05-14-2010, 12:44 AM
The show was fantastic, and the movie was better. But this whole Fox-cancelling-Firefly situation sparks a whole anger-driven debate. The cancellation was unfair, and no way justified. There were fans tuning in to watch (the fan protests which resulted in the film proved this) and the episodes were not all that expensive to produce, compared to others. Whedon shouldn't have pitched to Fox, especially after they cancelled Buffy after Season 1 on him. After two of his shows were cancelled by Fox, this begs the question of why he returned to them for Dollhouse? Even though Dollhouse was the weakest of his shows by far.

Pyrochaos
05-17-2010, 06:15 PM
The show was fantastic, and the movie was better. But this whole Fox-cancelling-Firefly situation sparks a whole anger-driven debate. The cancellation was unfair, and no way justified. There were fans tuning in to watch (the fan protests which resulted in the film proved this) and the episodes were not all that expensive to produce, compared to others. Whedon shouldn't have pitched to Fox, especially after they cancelled Buffy after Season 1 on him. After two of his shows were cancelled by Fox, this begs the question of why he returned to them for Dollhouse? Even though Dollhouse was the weakest of his shows by far.

Firefly is my favorite show of all time. But I still like Dollhouse. I like how the series progressed. Even though it started out slow, and kind of hard to tell what was going on.

Iconoclast
05-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Firefly is my favorite show of all time. But I still like Dollhouse. I like how the series progressed. Even though it started out slow, and kind of hard to tell what was going on.

I only saw a few episodes of Dollhouse here and there, and it looked pretty wild. Not in a bad way, though. I've actually been thinking of downloading it and watching it from start to end so that I can actually follow what's happening.

That reminds me of another Fox show that had big hype but barely lasted...Drive. Did anyone else watch it? Jeez, it must have been years ago now that it was on, but I remember seeing the ads so long in advance, I actually was pretty excited for the show. But apparently the pilot had such poor ratings, it was canned not long after the premiere.

josherpillage
05-17-2010, 09:04 PM
what exactly is this "dollhouse" show i am hearing so much about?

CodSteaks
05-17-2010, 09:27 PM
what exactly is this "dollhouse" show i am hearing so much about?

It was Joss Whedon's latest TV show, staring Eliza Dushku. It was about some company that had a stable of hot women who could be "rented" and implanted with any personality or character you need for a given situation. After their job was done, their minds were sort of wiped again to be ready for the next job. I definitely thought it was an interesting premise, but heard bad reviews of it. I'd like to watch it at some point, but there are a lot of things I'll try to watch before it.

I really liked "Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog," but I haven't exactly jumped on the Joss Whedon bandwagon. I don't think he's God's gift to geeks, I think that role is reserved for JJ Abrams. Viva Felicity!! :p

josherpillage
05-17-2010, 09:31 PM
is this a newer show?

and joss whedon supposedly is doing the Avengers movie, which is gonna be rad

CodSteaks
05-17-2010, 09:35 PM
is this a newer show?

and joss whedon supposedly is doing the Avengers movie, which is gonna be rad

Yeah, it was first out in 2009, I think in the spring. That'd be pretty sweet to see him do the Avengers. He wrote an X-Men comic for a while that was pretty awesome.

crazy W01f 816
05-17-2010, 09:49 PM
For anyone here who has any curiousity to check out Castle, do so. It's a great mix of a great detective show and comedy, but not over the top. Castle is one of the better shows on Monday nights, especially in the 9 PM CT time slot. There's also a Halloween episode where Nathan Fillion dresses up as a space cowboy. :D

Iconoclast
05-18-2010, 12:58 PM
For anyone here who has any curiousity to check out Castle, do so. It's a great mix of a great detective show and comedy, but not over the top. Castle is one of the better shows on Monday nights, especially in the 9 PM CT time slot. There's also a Halloween episode where Nathan Fillion dresses up as a space cowboy. :D

Castle rocks. Fillon basically plays a writer that ends up being partnered with a female cop; with his wit and her authority, the two of them make a pretty [awesomely] dysfunctional team...and as you can imagine, there's a big fandangled love story thrown into the mix. It's definitely worth watching, especially if you like Fillon (you can definitely see character overlap with his character in Firefly).

josherpillage
05-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Castle rocks. Fillon basically plays a writer that ends up being partnered with a female cop; with his wit and her authority, the two of them make a pretty [awesomely] dysfunctional team...and as you can imagine, there's a big fandangled love story thrown into the mix. It's definitely worth watching, especially if you like Fillon (you can definitely see character overlap with his character in Firefly).

nathan fillion is my hero. and i heard castle was pretty good, id start watching it if i didnt already restart watching Weeds again.

DarthSoth
05-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Every time I re-watch Firefly I get crazy ideas about how fucking cool it would be if Joss Whedon was brought in to do the new Star Wars live action show. I mean, Firefly was basically like a Star Wars spin off anyway. Mal was completley Han Solo. Right down to the Corellian blood stripes on his pants and leg holster for his pistol. That would be the perfect show for Whedon. He's a big Star Wars fan. Lucas is personally funding it so he will push it through regardless of how the show is received, so no chance of cancellation for Whedon. THey want to go all uber dark with the series, comparing it to Sopranos and Deadwood, and useing writes from both shows to work on scripts. It just sounds like a nerds dream come true to couple Joss with the LASW.

Firefly makes me so sad whenever I watch it though because it is just so good and got cancelled so soon.

And as for Dollhouse. Just as the show was getting all kick ass they cancelled it. Jerks. No one would have blamed them if they cancelled Dollhouse after the first season and it probably should have been cancelled then. But they gave it a second season and that is where the show really hit it's stride, then cancelled it. It was like they wanted to wait until it got good before they canned it.

Schryke
05-20-2010, 04:08 AM
And as for Dollhouse. Just as the show was getting all kick ass they cancelled it. Jerks. No one would have blamed them if they cancelled Dollhouse after the first season and it probably should have been cancelled then. But they gave it a second season and that is where the show really hit it's stride, then cancelled it. It was like they wanted to wait until it got good before they canned it.

the other thing that pissed me off about that is that I heard they canceled Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles to give Dollhouse that second season, not sure how true that is though.

DarthSoth
05-20-2010, 06:52 PM
the other thing that pissed me off about that is that I heard they canceled Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles to give Dollhouse that second season, not sure how true that is though.

I think Terminator cancelled itself when it had that stint of about 5 episodes that were comeplete shit from about episodes 12 - 17 in season 2.

Personally I thought the two shows complemented each other when they were paired together. Plus having Summer and Eliza talking up the shows during the breaks was a major plus.:woop:

BWP Dumpster
09-13-2010, 01:52 AM
Im a huge Firefly fan. Show was great and i hate FOX for canceling some of my favorite shows. Mainly arrested development and firefly. I think the series was great with Jaynestown and Ariel being some of my favorite episodes. I wish they would have gotten to develop on the Blue Sun corp, and their 2 by 2 hands in blue operatives. The movie was a great wrap up to answer the holes left by the show. I think they did well with it.

I showed it to my friends and they loved it so much he is going to be coming out to the theme song on his wedding day. Hilarious, cant wait.

If you have not seen it yet, watch it. If you have, watch it again.

Zijdenbobo
09-21-2010, 10:06 PM
I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

I still can't believe it got cancelled halfway trough the first season.... To see a series like farscape (which didn't really get interesting till like the end of the seccond season or something..) get 4...
I loved the movie as well, series was a bit better though. I really would've liked some more backstory on Book.
Best episodes: Our Mrs. Reynolds and Jaynestown..

Edouken
10-25-2010, 04:38 AM
I loved this show sooo much. I just wished they didn't cancel it.

DiamondD
10-25-2010, 05:30 AM
Just saw Serenity yesterday after watching Firefly and I have to say that its cancellation is one of the biggest crimes to humanity. I would've loved to find out Book's (the preacher) history, what made Zoey marry Wash and much more. You wouldn't believe the amount of fans this show has.

Also to add... Nathan Fillion has my vote to play Nathan Drake in the rumored Uncharted movie. Now I know everyone knows that video game to movie adaptations and vice versa generally suck, but I think Fillion could really pull this through and skyrocket him into the realm of must have actors in films. Here's 2 good/funny links.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/7935.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/uncharted-2-hawp/59109

Edit: Don't watch the second link if you haven't played/finished Uncharted 2.

Bearded Bugs
12-12-2010, 02:17 AM
Firefly is definitely my favourite TV series of all time. I get really grumpy for a few days whenever I finish watching it again: it was so believable and engaging it's hard to go back to normality.

Coorhagon
01-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Firefly was great. I didn't no of its existence till after it was already cancelled. It should have been on Sci Fi where it would have been amoung its peers.

Fillion would be a way better Drake than Marky Mark.

Corwin613
01-31-2011, 08:46 AM

Everyone of Joss Whedon's shows were canceled..... Not sure when Firefly aired but if it did when Buffy/Angel did it was canceled because Joss felt he wasn't able to give enough attention to the shows to do them justice

Honestly I enjoy all his shows tho I have yet to watch Dollhouse? i believe it is called by him

XB0b0
02-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Firefly is one of my most favorite shows ever, very sad it was canceled so early :(.