PDA

View Full Version : Nightwish anyone?

Dark Reality
04-22-2010, 03:07 AM
I know it sounds cheesy, but when I was in high school, I listened to Metallica, but I also liked some classical, and wondered, not being a musician, why a guy like Kirk Hammett couldn't play some Beethoven or something. I thought it would have sounded pretty sweet. I wish somebody would have handed me Nightwish's second album, "Oceanborn", which came out the year I graduated, because that's exactly the sound I was looking for. Though I didn't discover them until late 2003, years later, just before their last album came out before firing their vocalist.

After playing their CDs dozens of times over, I went looking for similar bands. I discovered Within Temptation, and of course, they're alright. I discovered a lot of lesser, forgettable bands. And just recently, Amberian Dawn as they made their way onto the Rock Band Network. I got their CD and it's pretty good. Nightwish (1998-2002) is still my favorite, and listening to the newest stuff, I can't shake the feeling that they're now just another band trying to live up to what Nightwish was around the turn of the century. At least we got three amazing albums and two decent ones, though.

Any other fans?

PHIL 421
04-22-2010, 03:30 AM
Never heard them but a lot of guitarists are classically trained. Kyle Gass of Tenacious D is an awesome guitarist who plays classical.

Dark Reality
04-22-2010, 03:44 AM
Well, here's the first I heard of them. Actually didn't want to get into them at first, there was a Russian guy who wouldn't stop talking about them on a forum I was a member of. But I was going through an AMV (anime music video) phase, and accidentally happened upon one of their songs in a video for Final Fantasy VIII.

Nightwish -- "The End of All Hope" -- Final Fantasy VIII

It's cheesy, unless of course you like AMV, but it's a good introduction to their style. Not all of their music is this heavy. Some is heavier, some not. But yeah, great stuff...

Jemocasa
04-22-2010, 05:46 PM
I got into them when I saw a YouTube video of their song Wishmaster with mis-heard lyrics.

YouTube- Wishmaster - The Misheard Lyrics

By the way, I don't know if you know, but Tarja Turunen has released a couple of albums with a third on the way. The first one is a Christmas album. This is from the second "My Winter Storm".

YouTube- I Walk Alone - Tarja Turunen

ApochWeiss
04-22-2010, 07:21 PM
I honestly feel Nightwish grew moreso with the departure of Tarja. The music on Dark Passion Play feels more powerful and operatic then anything they've recorded before, and feels like they added more passion into it. I've got all their CDs and I listen DPP the most out of all of them, and I've listened to them since around the time Century Child hit.

Tussell
04-22-2010, 08:52 PM
I swear, I'm the only person in the world who doesn't enjoy listening to this band.

BarbaricGoose
04-22-2010, 10:28 PM
I swear, I'm the only person in the world who doesn't enjoy listening to this band.

Yet you still post in every thread talking about them. If I was a robot, I'd say something like, "DOES. NOT. COMPUTE."

Anyway, I used to enjoy them when Tarja was with them, not so much anymore. I don't hate them now, I just don't ever listen to them. The one song that originally got me into them was a cover of Led Zeppelin's..

YouTube- Nightwish "Over The Hills And Far Away" with lyrics

I prefer Nightwish's version.

ThrawnOmega
04-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Dark Passion Play is one of my favorite albums, with "Poet and the Pendulum" and "Meadows of Heaven" standing out as awesome, each for different reasons. Some of the older stuff with Tarja is pretty kick ass though.

dirge
04-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Yet you still post in every thread talking about them. If I was a robot, I'd say something like, "DOES. NOT. COMPUTE."

Anyway, I used to enjoy them when Tarja was with them, not so much anymore. I don't hate them now, I just don't ever listen to them. The one song that originally got me into them was a cover of Led Zeppelin's..

YouTube- Nightwish "Over The Hills And Far Away" with lyrics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hwIcYnuIBg)

I prefer Nightwish's version.

It's a Gary Moore cover isn't it?

Anyway I love Nightwish, seen them live twice, once with each singer. Though I don't listen to them as much these days as i've found my new love, Folk Metal!

BarbaricGoose
04-22-2010, 11:17 PM
It's a Gary Moore cover isn't it?

Nope. Led Zeppelin.

Gary Moore did the song in 1987 on the album The Wild Frontier. Led Zeppelin did it in 1973, on the album Houses of the Holy.

Dark Reality
04-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Nope. Gary Moore. The Led Zeppelin song of the same name is completely different. It would be cool if Nightwish covered LZ, but they haven't -- at least not on any studio album or released concert.

The Gary Moore "Over the Hills and Far Away" that Nightwish cover is loosely based on The Count of Monte Cristo, but the Led Zeppelin version, from the "Houses of the Holy" album, is much, much better. Than the Gary Moore song, I mean. Well, it's better than the Nightwish cover, too, but not by as much.

For all my faults, I do love me some Led Zeppelin... Even though Jimmy Page has become a d-bag lately, hating on the music games. (Though I think he's just holding out for more money... we'll get a "Led Zeppelin: Rock Band" at some point, the price just has to be right.)

dirge
04-26-2010, 12:28 AM
I'm loving Gary Moore a lot more than ever lately, really enjoying playing along to Wishing Well on guitar.