PDA

View Full Version : Will A Games Shop Buy A Banned Console?

SSJ3
04-22-2010, 07:32 PM
So my cousin got his xbox banned for doing some stupid stuff on Modern Warfare 2 (Which he deserved btw) anyway he asked me if a games shop would buy a banned xbox? I doubt they will but I just wanted to find out for him.

Kairi
04-22-2010, 07:37 PM
They might. I guess he could do a trade in or something. Gamestop let me trade in my DS lite when it was completely broken- like my DS pretty much broke in half xD

KillerBEA
04-22-2010, 07:39 PM
They will take it, the refurb center has an unban code so they can sell it

hippymanjas
04-22-2010, 07:49 PM
What they don't know won't matter :p

I used to work in one and to be fair, we didn't really do much other than make sure it turned on! I'm sure it will be fine - they will just faulty off the returned console at worse!

mrbonelly
04-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Unless they have changed procedures at Gamestop, I'm assuming yes, for that retailer. They didn't check internet connectivity when I traded in my old refurbished Premium unit... like said above, they just turned it on, tested the controller connectivity, booted up a game and that was it.

xtye
04-22-2010, 08:46 PM

lolno. http://www.xbox360achievements.org

jasonisco0l
04-22-2010, 09:00 PM
yeah i traded in my xbox all they checked was the controller and if it turned on ha.

xRogue 5x
04-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Yes they will take it. They don't have a way or take the time to test internet.

gamerguy69
04-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Well, I certainly hope they wouldn't buy a banned console. How else is your cousin going to learn to NOT do stupid stuff on MW2 without consequences.

Of course if the shop doesn't check the online connectivity they would have to rely on his honesty* if they inquire.

*see past behavior

sak7395
04-22-2010, 10:49 PM
as long as the stores make money they shouldnt really care and yeah it has to work as well

i m redshark
04-22-2010, 10:53 PM
That sucks to be the person who buys that console since there isn't a way for them to tell if it is banned. I personally would be pretty pissed

RufftyMan
04-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Like has been said, I'm pretty sure as long as the thing turns on then they'll accept it no doubt.

SSJ3
04-22-2010, 11:18 PM
So if he just takes it down to CeX they will give him money/store credit for it?

xtye
04-22-2010, 11:19 PM
They need to test internet because of losers like your cousin though. He doesn't need to be online.

SSJ3
04-22-2010, 11:43 PM
They need to test internet because of losers like your cousin though. He doesn't need to be online.

I agree with you 100% I just want to find out so he can stop calling me and I can fuc* him off.

Sly Toad
04-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Yes they will take banned consoles.

LOL! No they don't. The console will not be unbanned. It will be sold as a banned console if the game shop is told it is banned.

Seraph Xii
04-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Well, I certainly hope they wouldn't buy a banned console. How else is your cousin going to learn to NOT do stupid stuff on MW2 without consequences.

Of course if the shop doesn't check the online connectivity they would have to rely on his honesty* if they inquire.

*see past behavior

Yes, so because he modded his Xbox or used glitches on MW2 etc... He deserved to be punished financially for it...

I agree that what he did was wrong and when it comes to cheaters I'm right up there with hating them, but it's complete BS if someone loses money because of it.

It's like justifying Microsoft purposefully sending out updates to consoles to red ring them because you've done something they don't like, you simply can't.

OT: As already said it seems like if they don't know about it being banned it won't matter, just make sure that you make it hard for them to actually check supposing they do. For instance, remove any gamertags on there.

Edit: I notice you're in England, try somewhere like cash converters etc... They buy pretty much anything and generally wouldn't have the forethought to check and possibly not even the ability.

Iv AJay vI
04-23-2010, 03:54 AM
I would raise hell if they sold me a banned console...

xtye
04-23-2010, 05:03 AM
Yes, so because he modded his Xbox or used glitches on MW2 etc... He deserved to be punished financially for it...

I agree that what he did was wrong and when it comes to cheaters I'm right up there with hating them, but it's complete BS if someone loses money because of it.

It's like justifying Microsoft purposefully sending out updates to consoles to red ring them because you've done something they don't like, you simply can't.

OT: As already said it seems like if they don't know about it being banned it won't matter, just make sure that you make it hard for them to actually check supposing they do. For instance, remove any gamertags on there.

Edit: I notice you're in England, try somewhere like cash converters etc... They buy pretty much anything and generally wouldn't have the forethought to check and possibly not even the ability.

That was the worst piece of garbage post I've ever read....wow.

1. RRoD isn't caused by any updates.
2. So what, you think console bans shouldn't happen? You think everyone that cheats in Halo 3, L4D2, and so on should be left alone?

xXxDArKtOrNxXx
04-23-2010, 05:13 AM
what about a ps3 that doesnt sign on becuase when i went to sign up i fucked up and put parental controls and dont remember the password lol

EmporerDragon
04-23-2010, 05:26 AM
I'd advocate lying to him and saying no. I'd also go a step further and tell him that if they find out he's trying to trade in a banned console, he'll be banned from the store as well.

mcnichoj
04-23-2010, 06:26 AM
Love all the random moronic statements in this topic.

Bring console to store, tell them you want to sell it. They'll just check to see if it works and then give you like twentyfive to fifty bucks for it.

Worse case scenario, they won't accept it and you'll just have to sell it online.

marKot1k
04-23-2010, 06:54 AM
I would raise hell if they sold me a banned console...

Ditto

10.letters.to.comply.with.rules

Mr DDT
04-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Yes as They Dont have time to test XBL Connection

Seraph Xii
04-23-2010, 06:56 PM
That was the worst piece of garbage post I've ever read....wow.

1. RRoD isn't caused by any updates.
2. So what, you think console bans shouldn't happen? You think everyone that cheats in Halo 3, L4D2, and so on should be left alone?

Of course it isn't caused by updates you moron, it's called an EXAMPLE.

And no lol my post was to point out that cheating shouldn't come with a financial punishment. As if it makes even the slightest bit of difference in the real world that someone cheats online. If you completely missed the point of my post which it looks like you did, then you sir are an idiot.

CodSteaks
04-23-2010, 07:07 PM
i would call it a financial punishment if they actually stuck him with a fine, but hindering his ability to resell their equipment isn't exactly a financial punishment. it's not like microsoft sells xboxes with the intention of the buyer reselling them. like the poster above said, do you really think they shouldn't ban his console for cheating? it's about the only effective thing they can do.

Seraph Xii
04-23-2010, 07:16 PM
i would call it a financial punishment if they actually stuck him with a fine, but hindering his ability to resell their equipment isn't exactly a financial punishment. it's not like microsoft sells xboxes with the intention of the buyer reselling them. like the poster above said, do you really think they shouldn't ban his console for cheating? it's about the only effective thing they can do.

Microsoft would be naive to think nobody intends to sell their consoles once they've bought them and a banned console would get significantly less money than one which isn't, so yes I'd call it a financial punishment.

If you think I'm against cheaters being punished it's far from it, but when people start losing money simply for playing a video game in a way it isn't meant to be played, then that's pushing it.

If there was a way to ban players without harming their ability to resell the console then fine, I wouldn't give a damn.

$RebelG
04-23-2010, 07:16 PM
They will pretty much accept anything if you want to trade it in. Although they usually rip you off with the price, although it might be different with consoles.

I think if you ever bought a banned 360 from the store you have the right to take it back in and either get it swapped or you're money back if you have the receipt and stuff. At least that's what happened to a friend of mine, he took it back in the next day and told them what the problem was and he got it replaced.

sk83rty
04-23-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't check. It's dishonest, but it wouldn't hurt your cousin to trade it in if he wanted to.

ghostdogg79
04-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Ive never seen Game Stop put a console online when taking it as trade in.

CodSteaks
04-23-2010, 07:23 PM
@Seraph Xii: i guess i'm just having trouble seeing the logic in your argument. it sounds like this kid probably wouldn't even want to sell it if it hadn't gotten banned, and if he did plan to sell it before he got banned, and could still get the same amount for it, then the punishment isn't worth anything, he'll just shrug and go ahead with his plan to sell it.
i'm not saying you're wrong exactly, i'm just failing to see the logic.
sounds like it's a moot point anyway, as he most likely won't have any trouble selling it even with the ban.

Seraph Xii
04-23-2010, 07:28 PM
i guess i'm just having trouble seeing the logic in your argument. it sounds like this kid probably wouldn't even want to sell it if it hadn't gotten banned, and if he did plan to sell it before he got banned, and could still get the same amount for it, then the punishment isn't worth anything, he'll just shrug and go ahead with his plan to sell it.
i'm not saying you're wrong exactly, i'm just failing to see the logic.
sounds like it's a moot point anyway, as he most likely won't have any trouble selling it even with the ban.

Well the punishment isn't worth anything anyway if he can simply go online with another console, again with having to pay more money. The punishment from where I'm sitting is just that Microsoft get to occasionally sell another console.

I'm not going to try and list a better punishment because honestly I don't have one, but that being said, it doesn't mean I have to be happy with the current system.

SSJ3
04-23-2010, 07:37 PM
I've just got off the phone with him and he said they took it no problem. So I guess this can be locked now.