PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Sorkin - greastest tv writer of our times?

ace2ey
04-23-2010, 03:49 AM
West Wing (seasons 1 -4) maybe my favorite show of all times
Sports Night - 2 Emmys after cancelation
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - cancelled to early IMO

if you include movies
The American President
A Few Good Men (adapted from his hit Broadway show)
and Fraility - pretty bad admittedly

I personally believe he is a God (yes with a big G)

StolenPaper18
04-23-2010, 03:51 AM

if you include movies
The American President

I strongly disagree with everything you just said. :)

But you are entitled to your opinion.

DOOKH8R
04-23-2010, 04:19 AM
Sports Night was great. Probably tied with Freaks and Geeks as the best show nobody watched. The rest of Sorkin's stuff is hackneyed tripe

Minty
04-23-2010, 04:45 AM
West Wing was a great series. So was Studio 60 at the start, until like half way through where I guess they knew it was being cancelled and just went crazy.

And A Few Good Men is a good film as well. But Sorkin as the best writer of our time? I doubt it.

exo-apollo
04-23-2010, 06:31 AM
I would say maybe David Simon is the best tv writer of our times.

Capn Doug
04-23-2010, 05:01 PM
The great thing about Sorkin, and keep in mind that I am a self described politician, was the timeliness of his writing. There were no topics that were out of date, since he would rewrite it if that happened. One of the reasons NBC fired him from the West Wing was because he was constantly rewriting and refilming episodes and missing deadlines. I remember in the episode where they assassinate the Qumari Defense Minister the scenes in New York were filmed on Monday when the episode aired on Wednesday. The mushrooms thing just gave NBC cover to fire him for more than just driving them nuts. But the first four seasons of the West Wing are still some of the best TV there has ever been.

Studio 60 had a great cast, was well written, but suffered from audience expectations. It was a show about comedy people that wasn't supposed to be funny. Problem came when he was trying to make it the West Wing again with the things about Afghanistan and all that. That really didn't fit with the theme of the show and didn't need to be thrown in.

DeaconsGTG
04-24-2010, 03:26 AM
Count me among the ones who has loved pretty much everything that Sorkin has done. I was a little sad to see Studio 60 get the boot so fast, but it probably was one of his weakest works. I think after West Wing (which was politics driven because it had to be), he forgot how to balance his politics with the general theme of the show. In Sports Night he was able to keep a good balance. But with Studio 60 it was just one political issue thrown in your face after another, to the point that you forgot it was about a comedy show.

Music-My-Savior
04-24-2010, 10:39 PM

if you include movies
The American President

lol, I liked the West Wing of occasion but it's not something I consider great. On the other hand, a Few Good Men was a fucking awesome film.

ace2ey
04-27-2010, 05:56 AM
I would say maybe David Simon is the best tv writer of our times.

I'll be honest I had to IMDB David Simon, but the wire is a great show from what I've seen, and I liked Homicide Life on the Streets but I have never even heard of the rest of his work. So best of our time not IMHO

PhoCarrot
05-18-2010, 08:31 AM
I really love Aaron Sorkin's writing, but I wouldn't say he's the best television writer of our time. In fact, I'm not sure who I would call that.
I mean, I really enjoyed West Wing and Studio 60, but they both had their issues. (I haven't seen Sports Night yet. I finally just finished West Wing and am Sorkin'd out for the moment.)

I think I like his movies more than I like his tv shows. The American President and A Few Good Men are two of my favorite movies of all time.

exo-apollo
05-18-2010, 10:45 AM
I'll be honest I had to IMDB David Simon, but the wire is a great show from what I've seen, and I liked Homicide Life on the Streets but I have never even heard of the rest of his work. So best of our time not IMHO

Yeah The Wire, Treme, Homicide, Generation Kill, The Corner. He has yet to fail so by the end of his career I wouldn't be surprised if he never makes a misstep.

shadow sniper
05-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Larry David?

DOOKH8R
06-26-2010, 11:56 PM
If you are looking for best writer/producer, cant go wrong with Donald Bellisario.