PDA

View Full Version : just got my 360 back and...

MrPatMcGroin
04-23-2010, 10:50 PM
sorry if this is in the wrong section, i searched but couldnt find a proper thread i could post this in. if there is one, please redirect me and i'll delete this thread asap.

im just wondering if this is common...

my 360 died a few weeks back (rrod) and i just got it back today but im fairly certain its not the same box i sent in. theres visible scratches on the box that were not there before (maybe it was the repair guys though). it makes noises im not familiar with now and the noises im used to are no longer there. the eject button is a super pain in the ass, i have to press it really hard now, whereas before it was super sensitive. its got the same serial # but the sticker on the back has defiantly been swapped.

so did microsoft just send me some random refurbished box instead of fixing mine? and if so, is this common? this is the first time ive had to deal with rrod so i really have no idea. if anything i expected i would get a new box if they couldnt fix mine, but yea, i guess that was pretty naive.

thanks in advance guys as i have no clue here.

I M1K3Y B I
04-23-2010, 10:55 PM
If Microsoft sent you a refurbed Xbox, i wouldn't have expected them to have swapped the serials :confused:

When my mates one couldn't be fixed, they sent him a refurb. The serials were completely different and the had out a letter in the box telling him it was a replacement console.

But as i have never sent one in i can't be certain.

VladimirK
04-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Yeah, they do this a lot, it's a refurbished console.

But I would phone/e-mail and complain tbh.
It sounds like they've given you an old one or something like that.

As far as I know it should just look like new when you get it back, at least mine was and it was a refurb one after an E74 error.

Stupid
04-23-2010, 11:18 PM
sorry if this is in the wrong section, i searched but couldnt find a proper thread i could post this in. if there is one, please redirect me and i'll delete this thread asap.

im just wondering if this is common...

my 360 died a few weeks back (rrod) and i just got it back today but im fairly certain its not the same box i sent in. theres visible scratches on the box that were not there before (maybe it was the repair guys though). it makes noises im not familiar with now and the noises im used to are no longer there. the eject button is a super pain in the ass, i have to press it really hard now, whereas before it was super sensitive. its got the same serial # but the sticker on the back has defiantly been swapped.

so did microsoft just send me some random refurbished box instead of fixing mine? and if so, is this common? this is the first time ive had to deal with rrod so i really have no idea. if anything i expected i would get a new box if they couldnt fix mine, but yea, i guess that was pretty naive.

thanks in advance guys as i have no clue here.

The technique they use varies between three different possible outcomes, though they are not equally good to the customer:
Possible scenario one: Brand spankin' new Xbox 360, perfect solution, generally the quickest method, not to mention it'll probably have the latest Jasper chips and the likes.
Fixed console that was yours: You'll get yours back, fixed, after a week or two, and (hopefully) should play as before
Third, 'worst' outcome: To speed up the whole, send yours in get a fixed xbox back, sometimes you'll send in yours, and instead of waiting for your specific xbox to be repaired, you'll be sent someone else's which has been fixed. Whilst this is good in the fact you get yours back fast, you could be getting an older, louder and (as you've reported) slightly 'dodgy' console. After I sent mine back(before just buying a new one, the prices are that good to be fair) the power button was never that easy to press, it was stiff - still perfectly fine, but it was 'damaged' I suppose.
Where about are the scratches located? It's possible that in the shipping, taking apart or reconstructing of the console that during the complex process it could have become scratched, and the buttons become slightly 'stiff'. A friend of mine had a similar scenario, whereby he had received a repaired xbox that smelt like a smoker had mistaken it's whiteness for that of a cigarette, it clearly reeked of the stuff. After a phone call to Microsoft, they gave their sympathy and within two days (now that's service) he had a brand spankin' new console. My advice to you? Ring up, complain, see what they say.
It's quite possible it is your console, but if it's, even in such a small degree, been damaged - it's still damage caused by their repair service.
Ask yourself this, though, are the noises and scratches that bad? When I got my console back, it sounded a lot louder, but I wasn't too sure if I was just hearing it because it'd been a week or so since I'd last had it on. If you deem it to be insufficient, which, by the sounds of it, seem like it's a previous model very likely to break again, I'd have a quick chat to their customer service and see what they say, hope for the best!

jasonisco0l
04-24-2010, 04:54 AM
When I got mine back it was a brand new one in the rap and all. What a rup for them to give refurbished consoles...:/

ApochWeiss
04-24-2010, 05:01 AM
The very first time I sent one out, they sent me a refurbed one. It red ringed. The third one I got back looked new, but it was a piece of shit. Power button stiff as hell and couldn't even read 360 games half the time. Had to pummel the fuck out of it to get it to read a game. I contacted Microsoft and they said that the drive was failing and that it was not covered by the warranty for some reason and that I'd have to pay for the repairs.

Played it that way until it died. My fiancee bought me a new one (didn't have enough cash, but gamestop refurbed). Call them asap and complain about it. They may do something about it under warranty, but if it's something the warranty won't cover, you got the package, all they give a fuck about.

Langeboy
04-24-2010, 05:01 AM
Exactly the same thing happened to me, nearly 100% of your problem. All my friends used to give me compliments for the condition I would keep my console in. Once I got the RROD, I sent it in for a fix and got back a console with marks and scratches all over it. Also, like you, the eject button on the console is definitely a lot more sticky / unresponsive as it was before it went in for a fix. I did write down my serial number, but unfortunately lost it.
I guess this must be quite a common thing. Although I wasn't happy with this, like you wouldn't be either, the console hasn't given me any grief at all in the year that I've had it since the repair. Hopefully you will have the same luck, it's always better to have a marked console, than a broke one..

Damian227
04-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Yeah I had this too. My first RROD was repaired, I got a form saying my motherboard, graphics, dvd-drive and something else were all repaired - literally only my USB ports worked properly lol.

The second time it RROD'd, I was clearly given a refurbished console, it's MUCH louder and the DVD-Drive sticks and is tempermental (both from day one) I was told my serial was transfered.

Surely we should be sent a more modern replacement, rather than an older model that is worth less than what we've clearly originally paid?

$RebelG
04-24-2010, 01:53 PM
When I got mine fixed a couple years ago they sent me a refurbished one. I wasn't really too fussed with it, because it lasted me at least another 2 years before it got RROD again. But it was in pretty good nick when they sent it.

They usually put in a little note saying that they are giving you a refurbished one and that they are sorry for any inconvenience and they gave me a free month of Live as well.

I don't think they really care what kind of replacement they give you quality wise, as long as it works.

sak7395
04-25-2010, 12:47 AM
i got my same console back i suggest u call them up

I Am NeroTag
04-25-2010, 12:52 AM
I sent my xbox to repair, when I got it back 4 weeks later I plug it in and it still has RROD I was so pissed off:mad:

Evo Kazz
04-25-2010, 02:00 PM
It's really weird, with any electronic equipment, how you can tell it is not yours, it smells different, feels different, I dunno, hard to explain, but you just know!

RuYi
04-25-2010, 02:15 PM
They do that? Damn that sucks. If I ever have to send in my 360 I seriously want the exact same one back. :\

Madfrog0
04-25-2010, 08:30 PM
when i sent mine in i got back a refurb and a new serial number, i wasnt happy about it.

MrPatMcGroin
04-26-2010, 04:47 AM
thanks for all the responses guys. i really appreciate it.

other things i have noticed... when i first plugged the box back in the hd wasnt properly setup. local time was set for london (did i get a european 360? lol). auto xbox live signin and all that stuff was off. and i had to reactive netflix BUT my 360 had the same device id on netflix before and after the activation.

im still 95% its not the 360 i sent in but atleast this one is working and i have a 360 at the moment. im gonna work the shit out of it for the halo reach beta next week anyway, so thatll be a good test. hopefully she holds up.

probably still gonna give them a call and complain a bit because atleast if they are going to give me a different refurbed 360, let me know, like how some of you have said that you got notes indicating that. but i dont really have any proof and im not exactly going to send a working 360 back to them. especially not now with the reach beta. so i'll probably just hold onto this one in any scenario.

but thanks again for the responses guys.

Lord Yamikage
04-26-2010, 05:01 AM
Can't you mark something on your Xbox with sticker, FOR EXAMPLE? Something to ID your Xbox (your signature on the cover), and also impossible to replicate. I don't know if having sticker (or anything on the cover of the xbox) on the Xbox 360 is violation, but if it's not, can't we just do that? Unless if they replace the entire cover of the Xbox and place it on else.

I wouldn't want to get any other Xbox 360 console. I take good care of my, even the controller. I don't want some beat up, poorly treated console.

Swizzler
04-26-2010, 08:53 AM
when i sent mine in for the RROD i got a brand new one all wrapped and packed, they told me they had replaced it with a new one due to some problem with the disk drawer or something

MrPatMcGroin
04-26-2010, 04:16 PM
well its too late to mark it now. i did take a picture of the back (serial # and all that good stuff) but its a new sticker on there now. same serial # but different sticker. i wish i had grabbed a sharpie and made a small mark somewhere but too late now. oh well.