PDA

View Full Version : HD Video Capture Card

Cable Player
04-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Hi people, I've been looking for a HD Video Capture card, so I can record whatever I want from my xbox, to make some gaming videos.
I would like some of your opinions on what card to buy.
(It needs to be able to be shipped to/ available in Britain)

This is the one that Major Nelso uses/ has used.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
The price is $200 which the current conversion to (GBP) is 130.

I have also found an alternative on Amazon.co.uk
AVerTV CaptureHD H727 DVB-T Digital TV: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo.
It is 113 and the description states it can let you receive TV channels on your PC. But the title suggests "with MCE video gaming plug-in support"
I do not know what that means, so is this maybe a better buy?

My budget is at most 150 which would mean four or five months saving, or finally being accepted for a job! But if you know of one which is more expensive please don't leave it out of any response.

Could anybody suggest any better ones? Maybe there is one on the market for a lot cheaper, but still performs to the appropriate standard to the ones I have shown you.

I really appreciate your help :)

Kamakazi Pear
04-25-2010, 11:54 AM
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/7791395/Hauppauge-HD-PVR-High-Definition-Video-Recorder/Product.html
for 170

or the Black Magic Intensity. Many people use the Hauppage, but I hear the Black Magic Intensity is very good, aswell.

Bleeding Star
04-25-2010, 11:57 AM
BlackMagic Intensity Pro is definitely the best bet

Cable Player
04-25-2010, 11:58 AM
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/7791395/Hauppauge-HD-PVR-High-Definition-Video-Recorder/Product.html
for 170

or the Black Magic Intensity. Many people use the Hauppage, but I hear the Black Magic Intensity is very good, as well.

I saw the one you just showed me on amazon (and play.com)
I'll look more into that.

And the Black Magic Intensity is the one I mentioned that Major Nelson uses. =) Thanks for your help.

Cable Player
04-25-2010, 12:01 PM
BlackMagic Intensity Pro is definitely the best bet

I just found the BlackMagic Intensity Pro for 150 on Amazon.
Intensity Pro: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

So do you think this is the best buy?

(Sorry for double post, Bleeding Star posted back as I was replying to Kamakazi Pear)

Kamakazi Pear
04-25-2010, 12:04 PM
I just found the BlackMagic Intensity Pro for 150 on Amazon.
Intensity Pro: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blackmagic-Design-Intensity-Pro/dp/B001J71MQY)

So do you think this is the best buy?

(Sorry for double post, Bleeding Star posted back as I was replying to Kamakazi Pear)

Both are very good. I'd probably say the BlackMagic Intensity Pro. But I recommend you search for reviews on google and see which one comes out sounding the best.

Cable Player
04-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Both are very good. I'd probably say the BlackMagic Intensity Pro. But I recommend you search for reviews on google and see which one comes out sounding the best.

Certainly! I was hoping to find some alternatives to the ones I had found by myself. I've done that so not I'm scanning product review sites for other opinions on each one. =)

EDIT:
"Produced to function only with Intel Macs" http://www.lafcpug.org/reviews/review_bmd_intensitypro.html (http://www.lafcpug.org/reviews/review_bmd_intensitypro.html)

I have a Dell XPS so does this rule a Black Magic Intensity Pro out of the situation?

EDIT:
"The Intensity Pro will work in Windows XP"
I should probably read it all first =\ My Bad.

X360a Licey
04-25-2010, 12:12 PM
I use a Dazzle DVC 100 and it works just fine as a starter.
I think I got it for 40.
YouTube- Fifa 10 Achievement Guide-2 Achievements!
That's my achievement guide video so judge for yourself. I mean the quality is perfect but it's okay for me.

Cable Player
04-25-2010, 12:17 PM
I use a Dazzle DVC 100 and it works just fine as a starter.
I think I got it for 40.

That's my achievement guide video so judge for yourself. I mean the quality is perfect but it's okay for me.

The quality is good, and you say you got it for 40!
I will certainly look into it and Edit back/ reply back with my findings.

(Sorry to point out bits from your video,) but I noticed lots of white lines at the top-left of the video. Is this the capture card doing this?

Bleeding Star
04-25-2010, 12:18 PM
If your PC has the ability to run the BMIP then definitely go with that one

X360a Licey
04-25-2010, 12:19 PM
The quality is good, and you say you got it for 40!
I will certainly look into it and Edit back/ reply back with my findings.

(Sorry to point out bits from your video,) but I noticed lots of white lines at the top-left of the video. Is this the capture card doing this?
Yeah 40 from PC World not sure if they distribute it anymore though. And the white lines are my old tv's fault but if you encounter that problem it is fairly easy to cut out with editing :)

Cable Player
04-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Yeah 40 from PC World not sure if they distribute it anymore though. And the white lines are my old tv's fault but if you encounter that problem it is fairly easy to cut out with editing :)
Yer, I thought about that after posting ^^

So this is from Amazon. Is it the correct product?
Pinnacle Dazzle Video Creator Platinum: Amazon.co.uk: Software

Dazzle USB Box connects easily to a VCR, DVD player, camcorder or almost any other video device
Save videos directly to DVD without doing any editing

So It connects to the USB of your xbox and burns directly onto a DVD.
(This DVD can then be thrown into my PC and then I can lift the file to edit)

If your PC has the ability to run the BMIP then definitely go with that one
Is that in response to the 40 card?
I shall look for if it an run BMIP but I do not know what it is.
My dad knows his stuff so I'll chat to him about that.

X360a Licey
04-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Yer, I thought about that after posting ^^

So this is from Amazon. Is it the correct product?
Pinnacle Dazzle Video Creator Platinum: Amazon.co.uk: Software (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pinnacle-Dazzle-Video-Creator-Platinum/dp/B00191BHT2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1272197731&sr=8-2)

Dazzle USB Box connects easily to a VCR, DVD player, camcorder or almost any other video device
Save videos directly to DVD without doing any editing

So It connects to the USB of your xbox and burns directly onto a DVD.
(This DVD can then be thrown into my PC and then I can lift the file to edit)

That's the upgraded version of mine :p But yeah straight from USB seeing as you were spending 150 I don't know what the going price for a Pinnacle Studio 12 is but my Dad got one from his work and so I got one for free so it goes straight from the tv to my external hardrive before I edit it :)
Look up a tutorial on how to connect a dazzle DVC on youtube as there are many components that are needed. But you can send the file straight to a dvd if you wish, I have never tried.

Cable Player
04-25-2010, 12:42 PM
I just told my dad what I want to do and his response was "oh. I've got one of those"
_ Epic Fail.
What we have fished out of the cupboard is a "WinTV-HVR H006" Hybrid TV Stick (Hauppauge) It is NOT HD as it uses the R-Y-W.

This is the model up from what we have, (I cannot find the H006)
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr950q.html

We have figured out how to connect it, and we are going to install the software to my PC this afternoon.

If this works, hopefully the quality will be reasonable and for a first time using one, it should be perfect for starting out.

Ill check this thread again after we have installed the software and tried it out.
If this works I will certainly be saving money for an expensive, straight-to-hard-drive HD capture card.

Thanks for your help guys, hopefully what we have found will work!

EDIT:
Im an idiot. The WinTV-HVR we have is a "900H" not a "H006"
\facepalm
No wonder I couldnt find the H006!

Bleeding Star
04-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Is that in response to the 40 card?
I shall look for if it an run BMIP but I do not know what it is.
My dad knows his stuff so I'll chat to him about that.

No its not as the Dazzle is NOT a HD capture device.

Its an internal capture card so it will have to be built into your PC, BMIP is one of the only capture devices which will let you plug HDMi into it

Cable Player
04-25-2010, 01:09 PM
No its not as the Dazzle is NOT a HD capture device.

Its an internal capture card so it will have to be built into your PC, BMIP is one of the only capture devices which will let you plug HDMi into it

Oh I see. Well my PC is a Dell XPS and it is designed for gaming. I only play World of Warcraft on it though.
I did have Call of Duty 4 for my PC ages ago, and it kept freezing. Turns out the graphics drivers were over-developed or something ridiculous like that.
(I'm here, biggin up my PC and to be honest all I can say about it is that its a Dell XPS with cool LED's on the front of it. \facepalm)

To be honest, HDMI is not all that important. If you go through the standard R-Y-W you still get good quality, just not HD. I would never make a video with a mobile phone camera quality on it like most of the ones on youtube!

EDIT:
Im an idiot. The WinTV-HVR we have is a "900H" not a "H006"
\facepalm

oO CurrY Oo
04-25-2010, 05:21 PM
If you're not sure about your PC specs than i wouldn't get the Black magic intensity pro.

I have a Hauppauge Hd PVR and its great you can just hook up the component cables and you're all set. Sample below put it on 720p tho.

YouTube- Battlefield Bad Company 2 Squad Rush match

domn8rdom
04-25-2010, 05:45 PM
I have a Hauppauge Hd PVR and its great you can just hook up the component cables and you're all set. Sample below put it on 720p tho.

That quality is amazing. Been wanting to buy a HD cap card for awhile.

My question...How much memory is that video in 720p?

Lazermatt
04-25-2010, 05:51 PM
The Hauppauge HD PVR is a good one, and the recorded files are relatively small so editing is a little easier on an old / low range computer like mine.

'Heres one I made earlier'
YouTube- Modern Warfare 2 1080i Gameplay Test

domn8rdom
04-25-2010, 06:00 PM
The Hauppauge HD PVR is a good one, and the recorded files are relatively small so editing is a little easier on an old / low range computer like mine.

I have a dazzle and the quality is good but I cant play in HD! So I need a HD cap card.

I have a 1 TB External HDD...Is that enough memory to store videos or you think I need another TB haha

Cable Player
04-25-2010, 06:03 PM
I have set up the capture card (WinTV-HVR 900H)
It works, but there are a couple of issues.
Whilst recording/ viewing the channel the quality is not at all great. As a result my performance on BFBC2 and any other game that requires good graphics and a long range eye sight. When the video is played, it is fine though.
I'm not sure how to get the quality better for when I'm watching "real time".

I had to set my xbox up to PAL-50 as it was the only setting that would work.
Also, the screen is very wide, with huge "wide screen" black boxes top and bottom. I'm trying to find a way to change this resolution.

By the sounds of it I need to be buying something different to use.

EDIT: Give me half an hour and I'll upload a vid to YouTube quickly and post it back so you can see the quality. And I can explain better what I see whilst seeing it "real time", before it has saved the file as a high quality file.

EDIT: That didn't take too long. Here is the end result. The only editing I have done is to add text, the "barcode" at the top will be edited out of future videos.

YouTube- Capture Card Test on BFBC2

=( Deery me. It seems that YouTube has taken the quality of the video back down to as I was seeing it whilst playing.
Whilst playing the video quality is not amazing, but after the video has been saved, I can watch it and the quality is good. YouTube always takes the quality of a video down and this has effected this video terribly. Viewing it in 480 on YouTube does improve the quality.

BoBoMaster13
04-25-2010, 06:27 PM
I have a BlackMagic, as long as your computer can handle it, it's very good.

Cable Player
04-25-2010, 06:44 PM
I have a BlackMagic, as long as your computer can handle it, it's very good.

I'm sure my PC can handle it.
I think at the moment its going to be a "grit your teeth" and keep spirits high as I get used to what I have and take a step up from the "newbie" film-maker.
Once I am confident with making movies I'm sure I will buy the BlackMagic.

Anybody else who has been posting on this, my last post has been updated a few times so it's worth taking a look to see if you missed any =)