PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else put off playing new games you have bought?

jamie1000013
04-25-2010, 08:37 PM
I don't know why I do it but I just play other games for ages before I play my new ones. Like when I got mass effect two I didn't play it for two weeks but I was addicted to it from when I first played it. Just bought splintercell and batman Arkham asylum and I have only played splintercell for like 2 hours and haven't touched batman lol.

Maybe it's because I am expecting to be disappointed so I leave it lol.

Does anyone else do this?

master_shake_350
04-25-2010, 08:42 PM
I buy must of my games in 2's or 3's or I used to buy games 1 or 2 days apart so I tend to do this. I bought GRAW 2 about a year ago and still haven't touched it.

Dark Apparition
04-25-2010, 08:42 PM
When I buy new games I play them instantly. But when I buy games that have been our for awhile I usually leave them till when I'm bored because they were cheap I don't feel the need to rush to play them.

Fixelbucket
04-25-2010, 08:43 PM
I recognize this behavior :)

Two years ago I had a job and that job gave me an incom (as it usually does) and with that income I bought a lot of games. Due to the nature of the employment however, I never had time to play so I just hoarded like 45-50 titles that I know have time to play (since I'm in school).

And when I start a game nowadays I usually don't go for the latest one I got and I don't know why. The only game I started playing the day I got it was Final Fantasy XIII.

$RebelG
04-25-2010, 09:00 PM
I always play new games when I get them. Mainly because I bought them and see the need to play and I get bored with my other old games. Don't really get anyone who buys a game and then leaves it on the shelf. What's the point in buying it right then if you're not going to play it for a long time? Each to their own I guess.

Tussell
04-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Well, I haven't been playing Splinter Cell: Conviction as much as I'd like to right now, but that has to do with some real-life issues, along with just wanting to be out of the house at the moment.

R Rated Love
04-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Kind of. Not really, though.

I mean, I bought Beautiful Katamari like 3 weeks ago, simply because it was $6 and I know on eBay it goes for 5x that. I haven't even touched it yet, though.

If I actually go out and buy a new game, though, it gets played. Probably because I don't buy new games all that much, so when I do, it's a game I really want.

Madfrog0
04-25-2010, 09:35 PM
i do, big time

i have about 35 unopened new games i havent gotten to.

sufferKATE
04-25-2010, 09:35 PM
I usually play games as soon as I buy them, unless I buy more than 1 at once.

If it's a game I've been looking forward to for a while, I'll wait until I've got a few free days in a row so I can play it almost non-stop ;)

AltruismIsDead
04-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Constantly.

Seems like I have hardly anytime to play (although oddly enough time to post here :p )

Although if it's a new game I am anticipating I'll for surely play it. Otherwise if it's just crap to add to the collection it'll be months before I touch it.

Madfrog0
04-25-2010, 10:04 PM
i just get busy as well so i dont always have time to play them

RuYi
04-25-2010, 10:05 PM
I've been in the same situation a couple of times. FFXIII had been collecting dust on the shelf for nearly a month before I started playing it. (And banished it back to the shelf because I couldn't stand how linear it was)

Cloz
04-25-2010, 10:07 PM
You are not alone :). I have lots of unplayed games, even unopened. I know that some day I'll get one of them and play it :).

Infection Ftw
04-25-2010, 10:13 PM
I got games that I bought like a year ago and still didn't even touch. Just compare my completion % with my GS and available GS:p

Meagan47
04-25-2010, 10:16 PM
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who does this. I've had Battlefield Bad Company 2 since it came out and I've only played it once even though I really like it.

milecoupe
04-25-2010, 10:51 PM
I have been the last 6 months pretty much.I noticed i never finished games so to finish them i put off my newer games till i get the older ones done so left 4 dead 2,pgr4,gears of war 2 and afew others have'nt even been opend since i got them for christmas

asmithe
04-25-2010, 11:11 PM
I do this way more than I'm proud of, I think I have about 6 games still in their shrink wraps right now. I tend to buy them faster than I can play them, and also try to finish each one completely, or as close to completely as I can before moving on lol.

II BeNtOn 92 II
04-25-2010, 11:23 PM
im sorry but im the opposite here.
i do have a job, and go to college, so its just part time.
this means that my money goes towards alot other stuff like weekends and bills.
so i never really have too much spare cash to buy bundles of games, i need to pick carefully what i want.
so when i do get something new it gets devoured for the next week!! :p

TacticalTodger
04-25-2010, 11:26 PM
It depends, But I bought prince of persia (sp) and i havn't played it yet :P, I'm always like that though haha.

jamie1000013
04-26-2010, 12:05 AM
I think it's because I think I'm going to be let down by it or maybe because I tend to only play one game obsessively and then go to the next. I'm kind of screwed with MW2 because it has 10 prestiges and I'm neglecting every other game I have lol. I need a Modern warfare 2 rehab clinic lol

Wolfgg
04-26-2010, 12:05 AM
yea, I am usually behind the community, ill buy games at launch, such at FFXIII and Mass Effect 2, but i've actually put very little time into them, right now im playing Tenchu Z. Even though I recognized how great the original mass effect was, it still took me a good bit of time to play it. I am hopeing to break the trend though when the new Red Dead Redemption comes out and play that one as soon as it releases, both singleplayer and multiplayer

domn8rdom
04-26-2010, 12:07 AM
True true. I have Forza 3 in the packaging still haha. Im going to open it and play it cuz of this thread now haha

Darth Grif55
04-26-2010, 12:51 AM
I never do this. I usually play my new game as soon as possible.

Burning Karma
04-26-2010, 12:57 AM
I do this if I happen to buy a game while I'm still playing one; I just recently did this, actually. Bought Assassin's Creed II because it was on sale, but I'm still knee deep in Final Fantasy XIII. The only time I will start a new one while I'm still playing an old one is if it is one I've been dying to play.

RufftyMan
04-26-2010, 01:08 AM
I've got a ton of unopened games I've yet to even look at properly. This is mainly due to me now wanting to finish a game before I play something new. Not necessarily to aim for 1000GS but to just finish the story mode as I used to be terrible for playing something, get something new then play that and forget about the game I was playing previously.

There's the odd exception where I'll drop what I'm playing to play a new purchase, but I try to finish one before moving on regardless if it's something new.

Kairi
04-26-2010, 01:12 AM
I definitely do. I have quite a few games not even opened.

Seraph Xii
04-26-2010, 01:13 AM
I always do and usually it's completely for the wrong reasons.

Fallout 3 I put off so long and wouldn't you know it, it's one of my favourite 360 games :p

k2345
04-26-2010, 01:21 AM
I bought Just cause 2 a week ago but have been putting it off, now with the passing DLC out & halo:Reach beta soon I doubt i'll play it til the end of may/june :(

BoBoMaster13
04-26-2010, 03:47 AM
Yes I do. Plenty of times I will play a game once and not go back for a few weeks.

institutions
04-26-2010, 03:53 AM
Yes, definitely.
I like to buy new games before I start an old one, and don't open it until I finish the old one.
I just love looking at it still in the plastic wrap.
I also left Mass Effect 2 unopened for a while, while playing Mass Effect 1 and Bioshock.

StolenPaper18
04-26-2010, 04:01 AM
I rarely buy games to begin with, so when I actually do manage to convince myself to buy a game, I play it immediately. Even on the rare occasions when I have bought 2+ games, I still play every game right away to try it out.

Fullmetalx07
04-26-2010, 04:05 AM
yep, totally me, I brought assassin creed 2 Le and never played it yet and they are few others, but the one I can think of at the moment

Aceman417
04-26-2010, 05:46 AM
I still have many games to finish, that i have played once and only play when I get bored. Darksiders, Assassin's Creed 2, Mass Effect DLC's, Bad Company 2, Naruto: Rise of a Ninja, GTA 4, Red Faction: Guerilla and Alien vs Predator.

Many of these I have played online for ages but can't be bothered to do the campaigns.

ApochWeiss
04-26-2010, 06:48 AM
For me it depends on the game. There are times I buy a new game and a used game at the same time. I'll typically buy the new one day one because either I want to play it, or it's got a killer pre-order incentive.

I'll take a look at the achievements and if there's collectable achievements, I may hold off a day or two if I'm not overly anxious to play it and work on the used game. Then when people find many of the collection locations, I start and stop up to the point that the guides end at. Makes it easier to 1000.

The Lovat Scout
04-26-2010, 06:50 AM
It doesn't have much to do with achievements in my mind. If I get a new game, I play it the day of, a shit ton. But recently, with Bad Company 2 and Conviction I haven't been playing them much. I know why though. Those two games you HAVE to play with your friends, otherwise I just don't like them...

EDIT: 400th Post! woot!

DOOKH8R
04-26-2010, 07:01 AM
I tend to buy a bunch at once, so some sit on my shelf for awhile before getting played.

ALIENWAR3
04-26-2010, 07:14 AM
Nooo WAY :p i always put my new games in as soon as i buy them, like with MW2, until more people got on it, so i don't play it anymore :woop: it's rubbish now.

Barad
04-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Yhh I know buy games but dont play them for ages lol

sleepydumbdude
04-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Only when I buy several games at once like during Toys r us buy 2 get 1 sales. Otherwise I try to buy games that I plan on playing because games go on sale quick now days and no use in wasting 10 bucks or more on a game that I don't plan on playing right away.

Opiate42
04-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Completely, got a pile of games from last year, either presents or picked up used I haven't had time to get to yet. Am grinding out some current ones but have to move on soon before I get bored!

Spencer Estate
04-26-2010, 04:42 PM
All of the time. I've got a pile of like 20 games I have never played.

Capn Doug
04-26-2010, 06:11 PM
I have done this a few times but for a different reason in the early days than I have now. When I first got the system, I got 10 games with it between the bundles and the boxing day deals. After two months, I had only played 3 of them, just because I was so into Rock Band 2. I think it took me 8 months to play the last game I got with the system.

Now, I have 3 games that I have never played. I bought a bundle of Capcom hits in December because I wanted two of the 3 in the pack. I wanted Dead Rising and Devil May Cry 4. Lost Planet remains unopened because I really have no interest in playing it and know that it will just sit there denting my completion precentage. Devil May Cry 4 is the same way, though I will play it eventually. I got Guitar Hero 3 last week and haven't played it yet, again completion is the factor, but will get to it after I get a few more games off of my "to complete list."

Dejos
04-26-2010, 06:35 PM
I have a copy of Lost Odyssey I haven't touched yet...

lordthrash
04-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Yeah, i do this. Mostly because i play a game until i get about 70% of the achievements before i move on. However i do have games that i played only once and moved to others and have not come back. I get only a couple hours a night to play because i have a 2 yr. old son to take care of so i always play for the easiest scores first, then go to the grinders.

Juiceh
04-26-2010, 11:39 PM
I instantly play full-priced games (which I almost never buy). But when I buy alot of great deals, I usualy put them in my gamestash and finish my other games first.

slapshakle
04-27-2010, 01:25 AM
I have around 30 unplayed games, usually if I see a game I kind of want to play on sale at a really good price I'll pick it up with the intention of playing it in the future. My plan hasn't been working so well.

I do the same thing with DotW arcade games.

I M1K3Y B I
04-27-2010, 01:47 AM
I always do this, sometimes its not because i don't want to play it but because of all the bugs and glitches that happen in games because Developers would rather rush a game than actually make it properly so everything works as it should so i wait for update and then play, unless its one of those 'Good' glitches that saves you a lot of time or works in your favour ;)

Sometimes i wait for a decent guide if there are a lot of collectibles in the game.

Lord Yamikage
04-27-2010, 02:02 AM
Holy Shield, quite surprising. I understand gamers who are too busy with social life with school, work, family, and etc may not have time. The other half.... quite surprising.

When I get new games, it is exactly the same as doing drug. First and last thing is playing the video game. Only, I make sure that playing game does not affect some of my social life. :p

Dz06lt
04-27-2010, 02:05 AM
I play one game per system until ive completed it. and i will usually get new games on launch day, so inevitibly there will be some games sitting in the wrapper until i can get to them