PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new HDD

kooliokevin
04-27-2010, 03:38 AM
Hey,

Planning on buying a new HDD for my XBOX soon, but I'm just curious how to transfer all my data over from my 20GB one to my new (bigger size) one? Do I need an external hard drive to plug in via USB to use as a middleman?

Thanks!

andami
04-27-2010, 03:45 AM
You could always order a data transfer cable from Microsoft by phone, but since the new Flash Drive update came, I would recommend buying two 16GB Flash Drives($30+ each), for cheaper than a 60GB HDD ($80), and still use them with your 20GB, giving you 52GB of space.

kooliokevin
04-27-2010, 04:19 AM
Touche', thanks for the tips!

andami
04-27-2010, 04:22 AM
No problem :D

$RebelG
04-27-2010, 02:33 PM
If you plan on buying a new HDD then I got one last week from Amazon the 250GB HDD and it comes with the transfer cable and CD with the actual HDD itself. Its dead easy to use. When I rang MS a couple weeks ago and asked about a transfer cable they said it would cost me 15 just to get one from them. So you're better just getting a transfer cable along with the new HDD you are going to buy.

Schryke
04-27-2010, 03:31 PM
You could always order a data transfer cable from Microsoft by phone, but since the new Flash Drive update came, I would recommend buying two 16GB Flash Drives($30+ each), for cheaper than a 60GB HDD ($80), and still use them with your 20GB, giving you 52GB of space.

Or if you don't want to go that route you can get one of the larger HDDs and use a smaller flash drive to transfer the data from the old drive to the new.

That routes a bit more time consuming because you might have to switch drives out a couple times depending on how large a flash drive you use.

When I upgraded to an elite, I used my brother's 512 mb memory card and had to make three "trips" to get everything that could transfer over.

the problem with that route is that some games won't let you transfer them for whatever reason, I had two games like that: Fable 2 and Too Human

Evo monkey 247
04-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Just be careful when moving some data. Forza 3 for example gets corrupted when you try to move it's location. If you use a transfer cable it shouldn't be a problem ;)

Marcus Gr3y
04-27-2010, 05:49 PM
well gamestop told me if you buy the harddrive there they will transfer your data on the spot for free!!! hope this helped!

Madfrog0
04-27-2010, 06:35 PM
i would just get the transfer kit from MS for free.
thats what i did