PDA

View Full Version : Bullet for my Valentine "Fever" First Impressions

achievementjockey
04-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Hey Guys.

I recently downloaded the new bullet album fever. I read a few reviews on it and they all said it was crap.

I like it. It is certainly better then Scream Aim Fire, but not quite as good as the Poison IMO.

I like 10/11 songs on it, but there is still nothing as satisfying as listening to Tears Don't Fall or Hand of Blood (not the poison, but still their old stuff).

So what do you guys think about it?

ApochWeiss
04-27-2010, 09:21 AM
I was disapointed. I read they were going to make it a heavier album. I heard two songs and shut it off. Musically it's good but the vocalist...god! Even live I wanted to tear out my ear drums. So, again, I wasn't impressed. The only release I enjoyed by them was their Hand of Doom EP or whatever it was. I thought the songs on there were at least catchy, but everything since sounds like they're trying to do too much musically, and while I felt what I heard was a little simpler, it didn't really deliver on the promised impact and just sounded like the last album (Scream, Aim, Fire? I know Poison was the title to the first full-length, just though SAF was a song name)

iKiddo
04-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Bullet for my valentine ARE crap.

ApochWeiss
04-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Bullet for my valentine ARE crap.

Thank you, didn't want to say it and upset a lot of people :D then again it's me, I never give a damn.

Honestly if they would jsut come out with something heavier I think they'd be a decent band. The guy is able to scream from what I saw live, but the whiny vocals of the clean singing ruins the entire atmosphere. It's like Trivium when they went all Metallica. Ascendancy? Epic. Then enter Metallica clone? Epic FAIL. This is why I kinda wanted to hear the new one in the first place.

iKiddo
04-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Thank you, didn't want to say it and upset a lot of people :D then again it's me, I never give a damn.

Honestly if they would jsut come out with something heavier I think they'd be a decent band. The guy is able to scream from what I saw live, but the whiny vocals of the clean singing ruins the entire atmosphere. It's like Trivium when they went all Metallica. Ascendancy? Epic. Then enter Metallica clone? Epic FAIL. This is why I kinda wanted to hear the new one in the first place.

Yeah ... But I still like Trivium upto Shogun.

I only like Hand Of Blood / Poison from BFMV .. 2nd isnt too bad ... only on my itunes cause I paid for the bloody pile of turd.

B1GM13
04-27-2010, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE=ApochWeiss;3034770]The only release I enjoyed by them was their Hand of Doom EP or whatever it was.QUOTE]

couldnt agree more. the EP Hand of Blood ;) is much better then the albums they released - 4 Words to Choke Upon, Curses, Hand Of Blood they're really good tracks.. (just off the EP)

but the 1st album only included hand of blood... and they dropped the rest. shame as they were the better songs.

they are playing at Download festival again this year, and i will see them regardless!

Vonzipper
04-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Caught the last minute of 'The Last Fight' on MTV the other day. It sounded alright but a bit of a step down from thier older stuff I think.

Won't be buying it but I'll download a few songs.

Qavala
04-27-2010, 02:02 PM

Well, my girlfriend is completely in love with them, hence why I have all their albums on my itunes, and even went to see them live with her, and probably will the next time they tour around here again. They're ok, listenable anyway. They have a lot of potential to become a decent band, but I think they're a little scared to do what they really want to do for fear of losing their fanbase, which, lets be honest, is mostly female :p It sort of reminds me of what happened with Job for a cowboy, they lost a lot of fans when they brought out ruination. But hell, ruination is their best album by a long way! I don't know though, most of the songs on this album just seem like ballads. I'm actually listening to the album as I write this, and i'm pretty sure my favourite song on it is "Your Betreyal", catchy! but the start sounds like a complete rip off of the breakdown from "if you want to blame us for something, abuse this song" by war from a harlots mouth. Still, to me, Fever just sounds like any other BFMV album...and i'm sure that's just what a lot of Bullet fans wanted... :p

Crimson Ridley
04-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Well, I'll have to disagree with everyone, because I loved it, along with every BFMV release, and each Trivium one too.

Gorilla Stomper
04-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Here's what I think of It and Bullet For My Valentine.

http://whiningprogamingshit.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/shit.jpg

Tussell
04-27-2010, 03:09 PM
They've always sucked.

CutePoisonCTU
04-27-2010, 03:28 PM
:omgGorilla Stomper! Yuk!! lol.

I quite like the new album, but I don't think it's as good as 'The Poison' and I don't think it's as heavy as 'Scream Aim Fire'. I still like it though, and I'm sure there are afew growers on there, but I did expect some epic tunes on a first listen and unfortunately, I didn't hear any :(.

Burning Karma
04-28-2010, 01:28 AM
So....is the vocal style more like Scream Aim Fire or The Poison? It really doesn't matter that much to me because I think he has a good enough voice and scream to get by doing both/either, much like Heafy of Trivium.

achievementjockey
04-28-2010, 12:48 PM
So....is the vocal style more like Scream Aim Fire or The Poison? It really doesn't matter that much to me because I think he has a good enough voice and scream to get by doing both/either, much like Heafy of Trivium.

Vocal style is more like Scream Aim Fire. There is only the tiniest bit of screaming in the songs, which is a shame. The music seems to have the same "feel" as the poison though.

The Poison > Fever > Scream Aim Fire

And what do people mean by "whiny" vocals? His voice, or the lyrics?

Gorilla Stomper
04-28-2010, 12:52 PM
And what do people mean by "whiny" vocals? His voice, or the lyrics?

Both. Matt Tuck and the rest of Bullet For My Valentine are an embarrassment to metal.

SSJ3
04-28-2010, 03:03 PM
I only like about 5 Bullet For My Valentine songs so I doubt I'll get this new Album.

Sambuca Queen
04-29-2010, 07:37 PM
I actually like it. Im not a nu metal person, but thought Id give it a shot. So, listened to it and Im liking what Im hearing. Lots of people are slagging it off rotten and comparing it to Poison, which Ive also got, but not so keen on.

Chris240191
04-29-2010, 11:27 PM
The Bullet EP and The Poison were awesome but they have sucked since then IMO.

METALHEAD CRAIG
04-30-2010, 12:00 AM
I thought the album was ok the more i listen to it the more it grows on me

dmf087
04-30-2010, 12:45 AM
BFMV are kind of a guilty pleasure of mine, but I heard a few songs on their myspace and wasn't impressed, only liked 1 or 2 songs. Reminds me too much of "Scream Aim Fire", which I didn't enjoy much either.
I'll stick with their older stuff.

Magic Coletrain
04-30-2010, 12:45 AM
Heard "The Last Fight" on TV and thought it was alright

streamed the album on Myspace and couldn't get pass 5 songs...i had to turn it off

its so....generic, its kinda like they haven't really evolved as a band i really liked "The Poison" "Scream, Aim, Fire" was bad and this is terrible as well

can't stand Matt's singing now and his lyrics are bad as well...not saying he was an amazing lyrics writer but you know what i mean

it's pretty good instrumentally, but the vocals n lyrics are awful

XxFrAsZeRxX
05-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Personally I love this album, never really gave every song on the poison a chance, but I like all their albums from what I've given a chance. But that's just me because, I listen to a HUGE variety of music :D. Some of the lyrics are pretty good, but others are kind of cliche. I would have liked to see something a little bit different. Although I definitely like any Metallica or Trivium album better.

mike eppenbro
05-03-2010, 04:20 AM
It sucks.
Because it's Bullet For My Valentine.

ApochWeiss
05-10-2010, 07:05 AM
Ok, so, I just sat down for the first time to listen to this piece of garbage called music. Now, i've NEVER had a problem with the band's music for most of their career. I enjoyed their Hand of Blood EP (which I think I still have), the first thing I heard fromt hem. Then The Poison came out and it was ok but the vocals did NOT work with the music they played. I skipped Scream Aim Fire because of it. Now this.

I admit the first three tracks on here are decent. The title track is actually a really good old school Heavy Metal throwback which contradicts it's self with the 12 year old whiny boy vocals. If the vocalist would let his balls drop and get a slightly deeper voice it would work so much better for the band! But then I heard the fourth track, A Place Where You Belong and everything went downhill. Such a terrible ballad track. And the rest of the album?

Well, to anyone who hasn't had the misfortune of hearing this yeat, let me explain it.

Killswitch Engage (divide by) talent & originality (multiply) generic riffs for mainstream air play then (subtract) dignity via Good Charlotte rape

Solve for X
(X being overall quality of album)

Am I the only one who hears the fucking gutteral vocals on here and goes WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?! TALENT?! haha

Sorry guys, had to vent. I think they're getting worse and worse if this was their musical progression from The Poison.

Ashes in Fall
05-17-2010, 12:56 AM
Garbage.
Mainstream.
Generic.
Dime-a-dozen.

My Bloody Valentine, however, is god tier. Their album Loveless is a 10/10. See pink album in sig.

SharksInYourMouth
05-25-2010, 06:46 AM
My copy of Fever finally showed up today, haha bit late I know. Anyway, so far I'm only 3 songs in, and I'm impressed, seeing as alot of people have said its crap, I am enjoying it :). I see alot of people on here saying that their older stuff is better then their new, which in a way I agree cause I enjoy their older stuff more then their new stuff but their newer stuff is still really good :) and theirs nothing wrong with the way he sings clean, honestly there are loads of other bands that sing with way higher clean voice then him such as the band Broadway which imo is an epic band. And I saw them live back in 08' when I wasn't really in to them, I went to see Atreyu and Avenged Sevenfold more then Bullet For My Valentine, but seeing them live is what made me get into them more then I was, they went off the hook. Anyway Fever imo is great so far, but I would like to see them make a album that is heavier and has more use of screaming

elephantd
05-25-2010, 07:44 AM
Scream aim fire is a great FPS shooter song! let's put it this way, I wouldn't go to a concert 2 hours or less away for 26 dollars to see them with a couple shitty random bands. Though if they were 30 mins away, I would see them live for 26 dollars.

dm master
05-26-2010, 03:46 PM
I love Bullet on the album: I even love stream aim fire album, However when i see anything with them live im just horribly disapointed.

Just he cannot do vocals live. And it just makes it suck. They should definatly have gone down the heavier route because that he can manage but singing isnt working for them atm.

Classix
05-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Don't like BFMV but gave it a DL anyway, all shit songs apart from Bittersweet Memories.

Iconoclast
05-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Scream aim fire is a great FPS shooter song!

The entire Scream Aim Fire album is great. Waking the Demon is probably one of my favourites.

ApochWeiss
05-29-2010, 07:44 AM
Well, my girlfriend is completely in love with them, hence why I have all their albums on my itunes, and even went to see them live with her, and probably will the next time they tour around here again. They're ok, listenable anyway. They have a lot of potential to become a decent band, but I think they're a little scared to do what they really want to do for fear of losing their fanbase, which, lets be honest, is mostly female :p It sort of reminds me of what happened with Job for a cowboy, they lost a lot of fans when they brought out ruination. But hell, ruination is their best album by a long way! I don't know though, most of the songs on this album just seem like ballads. I'm actually listening to the album as I write this, and i'm pretty sure my favourite song on it is "Your Betreyal", catchy! but the start sounds like a complete rip off of the breakdown from "if you want to blame us for something, abuse this song" by war from a harlots mouth. Still, to me, Fever just sounds like any other BFMV album...and i'm sure that's just what a lot of Bullet fans wanted... :p

...I hate to say it, as much as I hated to say I greatly enjoyed Winds of Plague live, but BFMV did manage to put on a good show when I saw them at Mayhem last year. I wasn't moved though thanks to the annoying as hell vocals, but they really had a good stage presence which is hard to find in some bands.

And hey, nothing wrong with sticking to an established style. I mean, I respect the band for sticking with the sound that broke them into the music business since the full-length was really pushed more then the band's EP, and I'm sure they do it for women too since I'd be pissed to if someone walked up to me looking the way I do going "I'M YOUR BIGGEST FAN!!!" I'd be pleased but at the same time thinking about hanging it up if all I could get was a pushing 200 lb man with acne issues haha.

I'm sure I'll catch hell for this one, but...
http://www.apochs.net/CDs/BulletForMyValentine-Fever.html

Burning Karma
05-29-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm sure I'll catch hell for this one, but...
http://www.apochs.net/CDs/BulletForMyValentine-Fever.html
Just wanted to point out, you have a typo in the first sentence of the last paragraphy: "Once again, Bullet For My Valentine have issued another rather poor album, with the only value really stemming fromt he iTunes preorder incentive for the digital download version of the album."

Otherwise, well written review.

Afro Ninja
05-29-2010, 06:23 PM
The whole album was amazing.

elephantd
05-30-2010, 05:16 AM
The entire Scream Aim Fire album is great. Waking the Demon is probably one of my favourites.

I agree, on the other hand this new album made puke in my mouth a little bit. First Bullet cd i can't listen to the whole way through. GOD FEVER wtf is that suppose to be a hardcore Nickleback club song? EWWWW not what i expected. I will email them and demand my money back or the posion.

ApochWeiss
05-30-2010, 05:26 AM
Just wanted to point out, you have a typo in the first sentence of the last paragraphy: "Once again, Bullet For My Valentine have issued another rather poor album, with the only value really stemming fromt he iTunes preorder incentive for the digital download version of the album."

Otherwise, well written review.

Thanks. Didn't bother to go back for typos haha. I'll fix it at some point, I don't have my laptop or the file with me right now sadly.

blue5h4d0w
06-02-2010, 10:57 AM
i have not got round to listening to it yet. Think i will do soon though as i liked their other albums. Il post again when i have give it a listen ;)

Jerthar
06-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Although it may not be as good as their previous albums it certainly isn't bad. It may be very different from what they have made before, but I liked most of the songs. I give it a 7/10.