PDA

View Full Version : Motion Controllers

The JF
04-29-2010, 07:51 AM
We have all heard of Natal obviously but what i want to know is what you think of this move towards motion controllers not only in the Xbox but also in the Wii and The playstation 3.

what i think is:

Lately there has been a major fight over the motion controller war but this move towards the motion controller has me worried. Before I bought an Xbox back in 2008 I bought a Wii. Yep i use to be a Nintendo man before I converted. I didn't like the Wii to tell you the truth there wasn't enough good games however the motion controller was one of its high selling points obviously however I was disappointed. I bought an Xbox top escape this motion controller 'phenomenon'. The Xbox and the PS3 have both moved to this motion controller. There is alot of potential to this i have to say but what i have heard about the Natal so far is that is laggy and unresponsive in some cases. I do like the idea of my body as controller but the developers are instead using the controllers in a way that is some what tedious. This could be a revolution in gaming but instead it has stupid things like waving your hands and pretend they are a sword and in the game the character swings a sword. I want something revolutionary. When I am bored i usually slumped back into the chair and in a relaxed position. How about the developers make it so that when this happens the game responds by increasing the difficulty or make something exciting happen so that the i am on my toes so to speak instead of me waving my hands around like a sword. But this is just a thought.

Post any thoughts or ideas or anything on this thread and I do apoligize for the massive text wall. :p

Steve50013
04-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Just so you know the 360 isn't going to be motion controlled. It's a camera that registers your moves and everything.

TheMasterSword7
04-29-2010, 08:10 AM
I think that we are seeing motion controls because they want to try and expand on the gaming audience. My mom won't touch a controller but she did play Wii bowling when I got it. I think that is why the Wii has done so well. They have captured the non-hardcore gamer.

The JF
04-29-2010, 08:28 AM
Just so you know the 360 isn't going to be motion controlled. It's a camera that registers your moves and everything.

I do realise that that it is camera controlled however it still uses your motions and moves hence it is motion controlled. Logic only implies that doesn't it.

Micrll
04-29-2010, 08:31 AM
I think part of the problem is that motion controlling games have a tendency to be 'gimmicky'. I got a Wii at launch and I can say that there is a pretty big break between the GREAT games avaliable for it vs other systems. There is just so much shovelware available for it and people keep eating it up.

Also once a developer realizes that they can make more money selling a cheaply produced 'casual' game. Why spend all the money required to make a blockbuster AAA title when you can create a B title that sells a ton of copies but cost almost nothing to produce.

Really we have had a Wii available during the past few semesters in the dorm, and it has a pretty good layer of dust on it. Its played monthly...maybe, the 360 now on the other hand is used by like 6 people in a daily rotation basis...

Seraph Xii
04-29-2010, 08:32 AM
I think it's a BS novelty that needs to die already.

I hate to think what innovation nintendo plans for their next console since it seems they can only sell consoles now by being different than the others and thus bought -with- another rather than -instead- of.

That's why the gamecube got slaughtered in the market.

mmartynn
04-29-2010, 09:08 AM
montion controlls can fuck off. its not a new way to play games, its just an easier way to either lose an eye or train to be a air traffic corodinator. (or to get into the retard olympics) (shit, sorry, i ment special people olympics), there for bord house wives who have nothing to do in the hours gap between cleaning and the batterys in mr rabbit recharge.

the day i buy a montion controller is the day i remove my own brain and replace it with a bowl of tined spagetti hoops

minignaz
04-29-2010, 12:27 PM
I have a fear we will see a lot of shovelware when Natal/Move are launched. I'm sure the devs will have a great way of playing an FPS with the controllers, but it will take a fair bit of getting used to and that might put some people off.
If the price is low enough I might buy Natal and a couple of games, but it certainly won't be at launch until I know what we are getting.

If Natal can be connected to a PC and give a new way navigating the web/documents/media, that would be cool. For gaming, I'll wait and see.

Giptuc
04-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Personally i think that Motion Controls can be a good thing, if they can get it right. If not it will just turn out like the Wii.

Either way, i love motion control and the 360, so obviously im going to get Natal.

UK Dennis
04-29-2010, 12:45 PM
As long as I am not forced to get one ever, I am not bothered about it.
However, and I know it probably won't happen, if most games are focused on motion control then I will hunt down the developers and make then watch sex and the city re-runs

Sphinx USMC
04-29-2010, 02:56 PM
The long and short of it (imo): Sales of the current systems to new customers are slowing down becasue people that want one have one already. They are trying to create a market that does not currently exist for a technology, aka: telling people they want something that they really don't. I think it will be another failed attempt at reverse engineering the conventional system of suppling a solution to the demands of the people (see also: internet tv, virtual reality, etc). If I have to move around and act like an idiot just to play a video game, why not just go outside and move around for a purpose? Call it laziness if you want, but to me the point of video gaming is to unwind, doing nothing but moving your digits and yelling "stupid shit game" at the TV.

StolenPaper18
04-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Like MOST everyone else when I think of motion control, I always say, "Damn it, I have to get up and flap my arms and hop around to play this fucking thing?" I like to relax and do nothing most of the time when I play games.

But

Unlike MOST everyone else, I am open minded and really excited about this. I think this has great potential. I think it is really dumb that MOST everyone keeps shooting it down before they even know what it is fully capable of.

And

Obviously they aren't going to make every game based around Natal. Most games you will have the option of using Natal and I'm sure there will still be plenty of games that you won't even be able to use Natal.

So

That's my 2 pennies on it. All I'm saying is be open minded folks. Stop judging 'a book by its cover', so to speak.

captain host
04-29-2010, 05:41 PM
As long as I am not forced to get one ever, I am not bothered about it.
However, and I know it probably won't happen, if most games are focused on motion control then I will hunt down the developers and make then watch sex and the city re-runs sex in the city re-runs??? that harsh XD.Like i alway say, if they force us to play whit natal i will stop gaming.

sk83rty
04-29-2010, 07:21 PM
I think that Nintendo ruined the video game industry.

TacticalTodger
04-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Does this mean with the Natal going out, Live vision cams will be pretty much useless?

Denny Crane
04-30-2010, 06:26 AM
This is what I think...

http://i44.tinypic.com/4tstpk.gif

BlackTitan666
04-30-2010, 07:49 PM
As long as I am not forced to get one ever

ToxicKookie
05-05-2010, 07:08 AM
Motion controls are a joke and a gimmick. All they're trying to do is rope in people who otherwise wouldn't touch a console. I absolutely despise sixaxis and all the games that force it's incorporation into games. Natel is an interesting tech, with numerous uses like controlling disposable clones for hazardous jobs (Distant future stuff, obviously), but I don't find it the least bit appealing as a gaming gimmick.