PDA

View Full Version : Do you have an extra fan for your 360?

gromitSWE
04-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Hi
Do you have an extra fan for your 360? Is it good, is it bad?

I have a this one:http://img.game.co.uk/ml/3/3/1/1/331139ps.gif, it's pretty good.

Cloz
04-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Nope. Have modern generation console, standing in well-aired shelves, no reason for smth like that :).

Filter x360a
04-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Nope. Have modern generation console, standing in well-aired shelves, no reason for smth like that :).

Same here. On my old console I use to have the stand fan (link (http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/62/2/AAAAAo6CZMsAAAAAAGIjqg.jpg)) and the intercool clip fan you linked above but with the new lower wattage boards, there is really no need.

bapae
04-29-2010, 02:40 PM
No real need on the new gen consoles but if you have an old one id suggest getting one.

balance13
04-29-2010, 02:48 PM
No real need on the new gen consoles but if you have an old one id suggest getting one.

Yep I defiantly recommend one for the old consoles, I never used one and my console over heated a lot eventually lead to the RROD.

On my new one I feel no need to really use a fan for it, works like a charm.

RuYi
04-29-2010, 03:06 PM
My 360 and me share this one in Summer:
http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/content/ebiz/focus/invt/181405/181405.jpg

Seriously, never felt the need to buy an extra fan for it. I don't play games for very long, so before heating becomes an issue I already ended my playing session lol.

StolenPaper18
04-29-2010, 03:11 PM
I've never had a fan. I read somewhere that a few of the fans they came out with, that attach to your console, actually overheat it more. I'm not saying the one you have does...I'm just saying in general.

X360a Licey
04-29-2010, 03:25 PM
I have one but that's only because my original xbox kept ohing. My elite doesn't, it's very well fanned in honesty!

Alice in Wonderland
04-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Are fan really preventing RROD ? If so I will probably get one since my xbox is pretty old =O

gromitSWE
04-29-2010, 03:52 PM
I think that they preventing RROD.

TacticalTodger
04-29-2010, 04:47 PM
My 360 and me share this one in Summer:
http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/content/ebiz/focus/invt/181405/181405.jpg

Seriously, never felt the need to buy an extra fan for it. I don't play games for very long, so before heating becomes an issue I already ended my playing session lol.

I have that fan :D, I like to make robot noises in it, but yeah I can't stand being on xbox for long amounts of time in the summer.

imatt B4M
04-29-2010, 04:48 PM
I used to, but I found it shaking my 360 making my games jump a little giving them the laser ring

Clockwerk0range
04-29-2010, 08:54 PM
From my experience having a first generation Xbox that fan was the life support keeping mine going. When the fan broke (from too much use) I couldn't even keep my Xbox on for more than a half hour.

The only thing is those fans aren't the greatest. I went through 3 of them in 2 years and when they break, or start dying, they start getting loud and making irritating noises.

BoBoMaster13
04-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Used to have an intercooler but saw the negative effects and took it off.

Micrll
04-29-2010, 10:52 PM
No fan for the 360 though we do have a small fan for the stereo receiver since we noticed that it got pretty damn hot.

But then again we keep the dorm at 75 or lower since we don't have to pay the energy bill :woop:

radar616
04-30-2010, 02:57 AM
I think that they preventing RROD.

No, it does not prevent RRoD. The RRoD is a flaw built in to the hardware when the console was designed. There is no way to remove the RRoD from the current 360 console without a complete board and chip redesign.

radar616
04-30-2010, 03:00 AM
lots of space :D
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/radar19/Photo0108.jpg

Jdm
04-30-2010, 12:39 PM
No, it does not prevent RRoD. The RRoD is a flaw built in to the hardware when the console was designed. There is no way to remove the RRoD from the current 360 console without a complete board and chip redesign.

I agree. The design of the 360 is actually too compact with the components being too close to each other. With the 1st gen consoles, they were equipped with the 90nm chipset and caused plenty of heat, which ultimately led to overheating issues.

Does a fan/cooler help alleviate heat from the console? Barely. Most, if not all fans/coolers for the 360 are just not powerful enough to draw or push the heat out. The 1st gen Nyko Intercooler is by far the WORST. It can literally melt the back of your your console because of how it's designed. That's the same one the OP has.

Even though the fans/coolers don't provide much help, I run them on ALL my 360s. I have custom the Pelican Coolers and even coolers for the laptop to work on the 360. The laptop coolers work the best, if you position your 360 horizontally. Since laying down your 360 heats up the motherboard side, the laptop coolers really do keeps things cool.

The only real tip I can provide everyone with is to have your console in an open area where it can exhaust heat. Even then it might not be enough to prevent your 360 from dying, as we all know...the 360 is unpredictable.

Preykousis
04-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Never needed one in the almost 4 years I've been playing Xbox 360 - Can't see I'll ever need one to be honest.

CodSteaks
04-30-2010, 03:07 PM
i've read that some of the fans that draw their power from the xbox are bad because they can cause the power supply to overheat in particular. supposedly the ones that have their own power supply are a bit better.

The laptop coolers work the best, if you position your 360 horizontally. Since laying down your 360 heats up the motherboard side, the laptop coolers really do keeps things cool.

do you suggest laying them horizontally? i had read a thread a while back that seemed to imply people who had them horizontal were having less instances of RRoD, but i don't know if that's consistent. i have a friend who's always had them flat, never used fans, and is on his third box now (a newer elite like mine).

Rowey 94
04-30-2010, 03:12 PM
No need for a fan on the new jasper's. but yeah like they said, getting a 3rd party fan isn't a bad idea. i was thinking about modding my console and water cooling it :/ just for the looks then realised my computer would make a better use of it:)
-Rowey

Jdm
04-30-2010, 04:43 PM
i've read that some of the fans that draw their power from the xbox are bad because they can cause the power supply to overheat in particular. supposedly the ones that have their own power supply are a bit better.

do you suggest laying them horizontally? i had read a thread a while back that seemed to imply people who had them horizontal were having less instances of RRoD, but i don't know if that's consistent. i have a friend who's always had them flat, never used fans, and is on his third box now (a newer elite like mine).

Actually most fans will be powered one way or another by or through the console itself via USB or that horrible Nyko Intercooler, which runs through the power supply. What I did was purchase a power USB hub to connect my fans, so it never drains an ounce of power from the 360. ;) There are fans like the Intec Glo-Stand which runs off an A/C adapter, but there aren't many that are designed like that.

No matter which way you position your 360, it'll block some sort of ventilation, which in my opinion can trigger hardware failures. Place it vertically and you block off the side vent. Place it horizontally and you heat up the motherboard side. Saying one position can prevent hardware failures is false. The 360 was designed to be placed either way...even if it seems as if it wasn't thought out thoroughly. I give the horizontal position +1 point. Only because those that aren't careful can knock over their vertical 360s and have a ruined game or worse.

No need for a fan on the new jasper's. but yeah like they said, getting a 3rd party fan isn't a bad idea. i was thinking about modding my console and water cooling it :/ just for the looks then realised my computer would make a better use of it:)
-Rowey

Water-cooling a 360 is expensive and could ruin your console if not done correctly. You can always mod the fans to 12v, but they sound really loud. If you don't mind the noise, then I say go for it.

Spencer Estate
04-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Naw.. I don't have a fan.

$RebelG
04-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Nah I don't have a fan. Don't see the need for one personally, I keep my 360 in a well ventilated area and in good nick.

radar616
04-30-2010, 05:58 PM
I have noticed the PS3's cooling system to be much better than the 360's. Mines making a bit of a racket but its chucking out tons of heat.

BlackTitan666
04-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Nope I don't have a fan

BM6T
05-01-2010, 02:04 AM
You don't need a fan. As long as your 360 has room to breathe it'll be fine. Also, a fan generally accomplishes nothing- your 360 is fine with the heat it produces, what it doesn't like is being turned on/off while it's hot.

Poida
05-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Mine is in a well ventilated room, besides the one fan I had on it gave my console red lights, when I took it off it worked fine.

Jdm
05-01-2010, 01:01 PM
One thing I forgot to mention is that the fans/coolers will blow plenty of dust into or around the console.

Tatanko
05-01-2010, 04:25 PM
I always ran a small one with my roommate's launch console when we lived in the dorms at school, but I never run one with my newer (2008) console because it never gets hot enough that I worry about it. I keep it on the floor (hardwood, not carpet!) in front of the television stand in my living room currently, so it gets great ventilation.

OMG I GOT SHOT
05-01-2010, 04:49 PM
I use a Nyko elite intercooler because ever since my xbox e74ed, I put it on to help relieve heat after I refixed it.

Stevo_safc
05-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Had the Nyko one for my old 20gb a while back. Didn't really help and the connector ended up burnt black. I think they've improved the intercoolers since then however.

a random cat
05-02-2010, 12:51 AM
I use to have a fan, but then I found out that it was just increasing the chance of it overheating. Got rid of it after that.

ONI recon 111
05-02-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm in need of a fan or a new console. I accidentally kicked my xbox a few weeks ago (wierd i know) and since then, its been overheating incredibly quickly, and the time changes with different games. Halo 3 ODST last about 3 hours, but Burnout Paradise goes for 5 minutes before it overheats.

I Am NeroTag
05-02-2010, 09:02 PM
I don't have a fan that you put on your console I just have a small one near it and it works pretty good

mmartynn
05-02-2010, 10:22 PM
ive always brought a new pair every 6 months. evan on my new consoles. keeps em cooler

Jdm
05-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Had the Nyko one for my old 20gb a while back. Didn't really help and the connector ended up burnt black. I think they've improved the intercoolers since then however.

That's what the old Nyko ones will do. They'll fry the connector on the back of the console. A few years ago, I actually took pics of a fried Nyko Intercooler and the damage it caused. Poor design and not well built at all. The newer Intercoolers are much better and have even been tested by the guys on OXM. Much better reviews compared to the old one.