PDA

View Full Version : So can we expect to see the fall of Bungie now?

balance13
04-29-2010, 03:10 PM
From Bnet. Posted by urk, I really hope this is some cruel joke.

BUNGIE AND ACTIVISION ANNOUNCE EXCLUSIVE, WORLDWIDE PARTNERSHIP

10-Year Alliance Expands Global Reach for Leading Game Developer Across Multiple Platforms

Kirkland, WA and Santa Monica, CA – April 29, 2010 -- Bungie, the developer of blockbuster game franchises including Halo, Myth and Marathon, and Activision, a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, the #1 online games publisher (Nasdaq: ATVI), announced today that they have entered into an exclusive 10-year partnership to bring Bungie’s next big action game universe to market. Under the terms of the agreement, Activision will have exclusive, worldwide rights to publish and distribute all future Bungie games based on the new intellectual property on multiple platforms and devices. Bungie remains an independent company and will continue to own their intellectual property. Additional terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

The groundbreaking alliance will provide Bungie its first such partnership since splitting off from Microsoft in 2007, significantly broadening its global reach by providing the resources and support to develop, distribute and release games worldwide on multiple platforms and devices.

Activision will broaden its portfolio with a new franchise from one of the industry’s most creative, successful and proven studios, whose games have sold more than 25 million units worldwide. To date, Bungie’s Halo games have generated approximately $1.5 billion in revenues, according to The NPD Group, Charttrack and GfK. Activision expects this agreement to be accretive to its operating margins as of the release of the first game.

“We chose to partner with Activision on our next IP because of their global reach, multi-platform experience and marketing expertise,” said Harold Ryan, President of Bungie. “From working together over the past nine months on this agreement, it is clear that Activision supports our commitment to giving our fans the best possible gaming experiences.”

“Bungie is one of the premier studios in our industry and we are extremely pleased to have the opportunity to work with their talented team over the next decade,” stated Thomas Tippl, Chief Operating Officer of Activision Blizzard. “Bungie has developed some of the most compelling and successful games, multiplayer experiences and thriving fan communities, and this alliance underscores our long-standing commitment to foster the industry’s best creative talent. Our unprecedented partnership with Bungie will enable us to broaden our pipeline of exciting new games as we continue to strengthen our industry position and pursue long-term growth opportunities.”

Capn Doug
04-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Oh, Bungie is clearly doomed now. Can't say I would be sad to see them go, though. Look at Red Octane, Infinity Ward, Sierra Online, and a host of others that have been bought by Activision and either failed or suffered a mass exodus. Fun fact for the haters: the people flocking away from Activision always seem to end up at EA....

KillerBEA
04-29-2010, 06:09 PM
At least they cant kill Halo! Iam by no means a halo fanboy but I do appreciate a good game which the halo games are. Since the rights to halo are locked in microsofts vault activision cant get their hands on it. That said i cant wait to see what they do next under activision, hopefully something awesome.

Kamakazi Pear
04-29-2010, 06:16 PM
I won't judge, as they could make something brilliant...

I will just wait and see. I wish them the best of luck, though.

Louis BCFC1875
04-29-2010, 06:34 PM
I think because Infinity Ward dumped there ass, Activision felt they needed another game developer under there belt, ashame Bungie suck at making games. :woop:

InkedUp
04-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Wow no Halo haters posting their bullsh*t in here yet, that's a damn miracle. With Bungie maintaining the rights to their IP, doesn't that make it easier for them to get out if their partnership goes south?

AsbestosPenguin
04-29-2010, 06:57 PM
I too am curious to see what becomes of this. I think the fact that Bungie gets to keep the property rights to whatever they make will make a difference. I have a relative who works for Bungie and he seems to think it's a good partnership. It's not like Activision is buying them out. They're just going to be publishing the games. I'm more interested in what the new games will be.

So essentially, I'm waiting to see what happens.

balance13
04-29-2010, 07:13 PM
I think because Infinity Ward dumped there ass, Activision felt they needed another game developer under there belt, ashame Bungie suck at making games. :woop:

Obviously you don't know any good games then :rolleyes:

As long as they don't end up making a CoD game.

sk83rty
04-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Obviously you don't know any good games then :rolleyes:

As long as they don't end up making a CoD game.

If Bungie starts making CoD games, that would be bad... I really hope nothing too bad comes out of this. I don't really like Activision.

SSJ3
04-29-2010, 07:42 PM

Of course they do, Because Cod is like the best game evaaa!!!!

Asian47
04-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Man, you people are assuming way too much here.

Activision has not completely bought out Bungie as they did with Infinity Ward, Bungie is still owned by Bungie. That means Bungie gets to decide what they make, how to make it, how long they want to take to make it, and Activision just distributes the product. Activision does not have nearly as much say in this as they do with the Call of Duty franchise, and frankly they'd be stupid to try something against Bungie with the ongoing Infinity Ward fiasco.

Earlier I saw someone use a perfect analogy to describe this partnership. Imagine Bungie as the ones making soda, all Activision is doing is bottling it up and shipping it worldwide. So unless you care about how the bottle looks, it will be all up to Bungie on how good this new franchise will be.

Steed
04-29-2010, 09:21 PM
As others have said, this won't be the fall of Bungie because it is only a publishing deal for a single franchise.

Ryot Control
04-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Never gonna happen but I can't help but think it anyway.

Halo Hero!

THC BLUNTED
04-29-2010, 09:50 PM
GameFreak47 said it well. Bungie wants their games hyped and activision is good at that look at MW2 (not everyone bought the game because they love COD, good advertising). Im guessing bungie will make another good franchise or knock out a couple more AAA titles. If bungie starts developing a COD then I will join the bandwagon of bashing activision.

Dustinator
04-29-2010, 09:54 PM
This makes me sad. I do not like Activision at all(they've replaced EA as most despised publisher/developer). I hope Bungie does well but like I said, I can't stand Activision.

It's like a really good friend marrying a backstabbing, skanky girl. You wish him the best, but can't be around them cause the girl makes you want to punch her.....I'll pick up Bungie's next game used so Activision doesn't get my money :)

Burning Karma
04-30-2010, 01:31 AM
I assume it's gonna be like Activision's "merger" with Blizzard. But still.....*facepalm* Why, Bungie? Why not just publish your own games?

DOOKH8R
04-30-2010, 01:49 AM
Oh crap. Bungie heads watch out for acts of insubordination. Polish those resumes.

l Absolution l
04-30-2010, 02:05 AM
I don't think this was a smart move by Bungie.

I mean, I know that they were fighting tooth and nail to get away from the Halo franchise, but I think partnering with the likes of Activision is a little extreme. ESPECIALLY after what just happened to Infinity Ward.

Activision is known for driving video game franchises into the ground such as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Guitar Hero, and Call of Duty. I just hope for Bungie's sake that it doesn't happen to them as well.

radar616
04-30-2010, 02:48 AM
I assume it's gonna be like Activision's "merger" with Blizzard. But still.....*facepalm* Why, Bungie? Why not just publish your own games?

Blizzard didnt merge with Activision, Vivendi Games, Blizzard's parent company bought Activision.

radar616
04-30-2010, 02:51 AM
Its just a publishing deal. I think MS still own the rights to Halo. Bungie could pull a 2K Boston and make a "Spritual succssor" to the Halo series and have it on multiplat.

Bungie have signed this deal to have some games published by Activision. Whether you like Activision or not, they have vast sums of cash backing them up. Bungie had MS to publish their games when they were under MS's wing.

Jachyrax
04-30-2010, 05:32 AM
why are they not with microsoft anymore? and im dissapointed in bungie with choosing activision. well business is business and if activision can do it then why not. btw good analogy gamefreak47

EatWheat
04-30-2010, 12:22 PM
In my opinion I think this is a good move because bungie needs thier games to be shown to the masses and the best way to do that is with the biggest video game publisher. As long as this is only a partnership, Bungie and the future games will be fine. Bungie also loves and cares for the fanbase of halo and i doubt we will ever see a halo game go multiplatform.

Lazermatt
04-30-2010, 12:34 PM
First thing that popped into my head as I read this:
Chopin - Funeral March

guillermo316
04-30-2010, 01:22 PM
i think activision will pull somthing off to get bungie screwed.

sk83rty
04-30-2010, 01:34 PM
I don't think this was a smart move by Bungie.

I mean, I know that they were fighting tooth and nail to get away from the Halo franchise, but I think partnering with the likes of Activision is a little extreme. ESPECIALLY after what just happened to Infinity Ward.

Activision is known for driving video game franchises into the ground such as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Guitar Hero, and Call of Duty. I just hope for Bungie's sake that it doesn't happen to them as well.

Yeah, I'm still mad they destroyed Tony Hawk. I really hope they don't kill Bungie. But from reading the new replies, it seems I may have misunderstood a few things. Hopefully things will work out for the best.

balance13
04-30-2010, 03:00 PM
fanbase of halo and i doubt we will ever see a halo game go multiplatform.

No it never will because Microsoft owns the rights to Halo, not Bungie.

JesusBread
04-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Half of you need to learn how to READ.

Activision will have exclusive, worldwide rights to publish and distribute all future Bungie games based on the new intellectual property on multiple platforms and devices.

Activision won't be involved in the MAKING of the game. All they will do is publish and distribute it. This is NOTHING like IW. Activision OWNS IW. Bungie owns Bungie. This is a marketing move and nothing more. Stop assuming Bungie is going to go the same way of IW.

Burning Karma
04-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Blizzard didnt merge with Activision, Vivendi Games, Blizzard's parent company bought Activision.
Eh, whatever. They still are under the umbrella name of Activision Blizzard.

McCoove
04-30-2010, 04:30 PM
money whores basically

Wreckon Dracgon
05-01-2010, 03:51 AM
I'm of two minds about this, as an Activision shareholder I'm none too happy. 10 years of paying their damn bills for unproven IP is not a particular wise business decision, especially considering the overhead costs associated with a new and unproven IP.

No matter what Bungie does it will always be compared to Halo, and MS will make sure Halo never sees the light of day on any other system. It's not an easy thing to create a masterpiece and then move on and create another, and another. A 10-year deal would require that type of payout to be worth it. Not counting publishers, outside of BioWare I'd challenge you to name any company with three or more masterpieces under their belt (and all different IP). Depending on how Fallout: New Vegas, and Alpha Protocol turn out you can probably add Obsidian to that list (then again not all original IP).

Either way it will be interesting to see what Bungie comes up with, I'm happy for them as it's been a long time coming. You have such creative folks working there, and I'm sure they've been dying to create something outside of the M$ halls. I'm just not happy that Activison is the one paying the bills, I'd much rather it be EA.

Ohhh and I don’t think Halo is a masterpiece, the sales numbers would disagree with me, but the game is just not my cup of Mt. Dew Slurpee.

Giptuc
05-01-2010, 07:25 AM
it was already announced that Bungie would own all their products being made, and Activision was merely the company that would be publishing.

Nothing like IW can happen in this situation. As Jesusbread said, The problem with IW and Activision is that activision owns Infinity Ward, and IW screwed up with their games and staff, which lead them down the toilet and all the IW fanboys make Activision out to be some shitbad company.

Bungie owns all the projects and games they will be making, which was also stated in the news post on the x360a homepage, and so nothing can happen similar to IW.

KNIGHTOFSERA
05-01-2010, 07:35 AM
I wouldnt say its a bad move....I mean activision cant really do anything to jack them up....they dont own any rights except to package, ship, and market......

and Im split on activision being evil

I totally believe the IW heads were talking with EA behind activision's back and doing all the stuff they are accused of

but the way Activision handled it made them out to be evil

lordthrash
05-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Honestly i think they could have chosen a better company to promote their product. I don't have any personal problems with Activision i just think that they are not the quality company Bungie needs.

baskcm
05-01-2010, 08:19 PM
cant really see them failing the deal they brokered with activision is quite a good one

GrindPantera95
05-01-2010, 08:20 PM
I'll wait to see what this new IP is, it's likely that Activision will try to piggyback off it for awhile until they can regain some footing.

Hopefully it may be something other than a shooter, or at least an innovative one.

Madfrog0
05-01-2010, 09:32 PM
this is bad, very bad, i really hope Bungie wakes up or something.

JaCKsWaS7eDL1Fe
05-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Bungie died somewhere after Halo 1...after Halo 2 MP was completed but before they did the Story missions...

Maybe theyll just be buried now

l.maciver
05-01-2010, 10:16 PM
for people saying its a bad idea i just want to remind people that activision is only getting bungies new games over the 10 year period onto other consoles. its about time for bungie to make something new and put it on other consoles than just xbox and pc.