PDA

View Full Version : Gamertags dont show up but cant be taken?

True I Skill
04-29-2010, 05:17 PM
I recently tried to change my gamertag, Before buying the MS Points i checked on sevral websites to see if it was taken, I also Tried to add the Name. it said there was no one going by that gamertag. I went to change my gamertag and it says some one is using it, Its done this before also. Why does it do this if no one has it?

Its not a rude gamertag or has anything wrong with it.

Genesis x360a
04-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Either its in use on XBL, Games for windows, Zune or the content is deemed inapropriate. Its happened to me loads of times aswell. It may not seem inapropriate (and it probally isnt) but you no what MS are like.

StolenPaper18
04-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Doesn't it also count if the name has ever been in use with a microsoft product?

Example: The name was used when the original xbox launched, how ever many years ago, but it has been cancelled since then. I think even though it is no longer an active name, it still can't be used again.

I could be wrong..

True I Skill
04-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Damn, that sucks.
Ha, is it a noobish thing to do to just add 2 spaces instead of one? if thats possible.

Dont microsoft ever clean up all the old names so they can be Re-used? if the Guy hasnt used it for years.

If i was new to xboxlive i think i would give up looking for a gamertag after about 3 hours and go back to PS3.

SoulOfTira
04-29-2010, 06:28 PM
My friend wanted a gamertag aswell that was apprantely taken but he tried sending them a FR and it said they didn't exist

Genesis x360a
04-29-2010, 06:34 PM
Damn, that sucks.
Ha, is it a noobish thing to do to just add 2 spaces instead of one? if thats possible.

I dont think it is a noobish thing to do but you cant do it anyway so... :p

True I Skill
04-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Damn, didnt know that.
Thanks for the replies anyway :)

mrbonelly
04-30-2010, 11:49 AM
this has happened to me many of times as well... i've tried getting tags with the words "kill" or "killing" and it's not allowing me to us it... There was a report long ago about legit gamerscore tags and they made a mention someone named Greywolf (or something like that) had changed their tag name and was scooped up by someone after the "hold period" expired... so i'm getting once a name is changed, it can be taken by someone else later

NoMaD DiSTuRBeD
04-30-2010, 01:22 PM
I asked M$ about cleaning up the old names and they said no. Both Nomad and The Nomad have never been used on Xbox 360 so probably haven't been used for years. Why they can't delete them after so many years is beyond me.

Perhaps it's time they let us add . - or _ to names.

Preykousis
04-30-2010, 02:28 PM
I can't see it being too hard for MS to delete REALLY old accounts, or simply let other gamers delete any of their old accounts off the Xbox LIVE database.

Spoony Bard
05-02-2010, 06:02 AM
I'm pretty sure MS will close your email account with them if you go a few months without even signing in. I'm surprised to hear there's nothing like that for gamertags.

InsaneKiller911
05-02-2010, 06:37 AM
My gamertag from the Original xbox is still used. I haven't signed into it for 4 years. I can still add it and view my old friends. I have no clue why they don't just reset old tags. I can see not deleting a gamertag that hasn't been signed into for a year or two. But a 4 year tag that hasn't been used should have been deleted. It's come to a point that anything original is always taken. Even the ones that you try just for a joke and sound really stupid are taken.

So now you have 3 services xbox live, zune, and games for windows all tied into one for gamertags and the only way to get an unused tag is for that person to change their name(very unlikely) or to social engineer it.(not sure if that can be talked about here)

jkdisturbed911
05-02-2010, 06:45 AM
My gamertag from the Original xbox is still used. I haven't signed into it for 4 years. I can still add it and view my old friends. I have no clue why they don't just reset old tags. I can see not deleting a gamertag that hasn't been signed into for a year or two. But a 4 year tag that hasn't been used should have been deleted. It's come to a point that anything original is always taken. Even the ones that you try just for a joke and sound really stupid are taken.

i try to make realy stupid inside joke tags and this happens 98% of the time

Seraph Xii
05-02-2010, 08:36 AM
This happened with my silver account, I could create it with the name I desired on xbox.com, but doing it via my xbox it said it was taken?

Honestly I don't know why it happens, sometimes it may be down to them being old gamertags people have since changed. I'm unsure whether they can be taken and they're no longer in use.

Pain in the ass whatever the reason.