PDA

View Full Version : Should gamertags be reset?

X360a Licey
04-29-2010, 05:25 PM
I was thinking that maybe if someone doesn't sign onto xbox live at least every year then the gamertag should be reset so other users could have it. what do you guys think?

Fizzmatix
04-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Doesn't really sound like a good idea to me. It would just result in lots of angry users as not everyone can be on live all the time. I know several people who have vanished offline for 8 months or so then logged back in due to loss of internet.

So basically if you lost your internet connection and don't have the money to get back online you deserve to lose your account, really not a good idea.

What would be a good idea is an abandon this account option. I have two tags, one which i would gladly abandon if i never planned to use it again, which i can't.

StolenPaper18
04-29-2010, 05:34 PM
I think it would be a good idea if they warned the people first by e-mail, phone, and mail.

I don't think it would be good if they just wiped the tag completely from xbox. Like Fizzmatix said, some people lose internet or have other reasons why they can't get on live for extended periods of time, but they do still intend on coming back.

EmporerDragon
04-29-2010, 05:43 PM
No, it's not that hard to come up with something original for a gamertag.

Lord Yamikage
04-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Doesn't really sound like a good idea to me. It would just result in lots of angry users as not everyone can be on live all the time. I know several people who have vanished offline for 8 months or so then logged back in due to loss of internet.

:whs

Life is filled with unexpected turns. Things happen that prevent our daily life stuff to be shift significantly. For example, an accident that result into coma (well, that's super extreme), raising a infant, job related travel, or joining military. Whatever it may be, it is possible.

MS probably know lot of people are pissed off for whatever reasons - repeated RRoD - and resetting Xbox Account is not going to decrease that.

Mightymango
04-29-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm going to say no.

I've known a couple people that went off to Iraq or Afganistan and were not on live for well over a year. Why would you want to punish them by deleting their tag so someone else could use it?

Pavonis
04-29-2010, 06:02 PM
I believe gamertags with zero gamerscore and who have never logged on for the duration of a couple of years should be terminated and put back into the system for others to take.

mosin360
04-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Bad idea. Maybe 10 years if under 5k gamerscore.

Pavonis
04-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Bad idea. Maybe 10 years if under 5k gamerscore.

Was this in reference to my post or the OP?

InkedUp
04-29-2010, 07:38 PM
No way. Some people just don't have the money to pay for live or an internet connection. If they spent a year playing offline, then got a chance to update their tag over Xbox Live just to be told that their tag is invalid, that would stir up all kinds of shit. Fizz's point is good though, I have an extra tag that my brother created, he will never use it because he got his own 360 and created his own new tag. Their should be an option to un-register it if you want.

Kairi
04-29-2010, 07:54 PM
No way. Some people just don't have the money to pay for live or an internet connection. If they spent a year playing offline, then got a chance to update their tag over Xbox Live just to be told that their tag is invalid, that would stir up all kinds of shit. Fizz's point is good though, I have an extra tag that my brother created, he will never use it because he got his own 360 and created his own new tag. Their should be an option to un-register it if you want.
I would have to say there shouldnt be an option like that. What if there was that option and a hacker got into the account and used it to remove it? That would be wrong.

Maybe if the account was like never used, then yes- but otherwise like mentioned in other posts it will just lead to angry customers.

Purant
04-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Yes if they have never played on xbox 360 and made their tag on xbox original.

I think most first names are in this category?

guillermo316
04-29-2010, 08:05 PM
not realated but is anyone mygamertag.net not working?

UK Dennis
04-29-2010, 09:03 PM
I would have to say there shouldnt be an option like that. What if there was that option and a hacker got into the account and used it to remove it? That would be wrong.

Who would be stupid enough to give their account information away?

I have to agree with Fizz about the un-register option.

dakisbac
04-29-2010, 09:30 PM
I believe gamertags with zero gamerscore and who have never logged on for the duration of a couple of years should be terminated and put back into the system for others to take.

I agree with this. Clearly if it's still got 0 gamerscore and has the original Xbox logo for a gamerpicture it was never migrated to the 360. Now that Live support for the Xbox is finished, all accounts that aren't migrated within X months should be deleted and the tags back in the pool.

Other than that, Fizz's idea works.

Starstrukk X360A
04-29-2010, 11:48 PM

This. There are plenty of gamertags with no gamerscore that haven't been used in over a year.

True I Skill
04-30-2010, 02:26 AM
I tried to change my gamertag today, It said No one had it. I tried adding it on xbox.com, And on xboxlive. and also used some website that apparently told you id it was valid or not.
It said it was avalable, Brought the MS points. Change gamertag. This gamertag is not avalable.

If the person is not using it at all maybe not for a year but 2-3 Then they receive a Letter through post, Or a phone call (Incase internet is not working) If they do not reply within a month when they next log on they can change there gamertag for free.

Seraph Xii
04-30-2010, 05:42 AM
Lol no, sorry but this is a ridiculous idea. It just wouldn't be fair to the people who still want to use it, but how can microsoft know if someone is still playing? What if for example the person is just without internet but still plays offline? Only to come back and find they have no gamertag anymore.

This would be ok.

BooseyGirl
04-30-2010, 05:42 AM
What would be a good idea is an abandon this account option. I have two tags, one which i would gladly abandon if i never planned to use it again, which i can't.

That sounds more plausible then to just delete the account completely. The only downfall I could see with that option though is if someone elects not to use the button before abandoning an account or they're not able to access it because they lose their internet or can't pay for an Xbox Membership.

The other problem is, would anyone actually use the button if they are abandoning an account? The only way around that would probably be to call Xbox (if they offered this service) but I really don't see anyone expending the energy to deal with that stupid voice activated menu, holding for an hour to speak with an outsourced person from India and providing a crap load of information to confirm that you are indeed the owner of said account and not some random person closing it, etc

It's probably better the way they have it now...

sk83rty
04-30-2010, 01:29 PM
No, I don't think this is a very good idea. Lots of people would complain, and I think it would just cause problems...

Preykousis
04-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Very BAD idea... but I agree with this:

Something I can see Microsoft adding in the future.

dakisbac
04-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Lol no, sorry but this is a ridiculous idea. It just wouldn't be fair to the people who still want to use it, but how can microsoft know if someone is still playing? What if for example the person is just without internet but still plays offline? Only to come back and find they have no gamertag anymore.

This isn't an issue. If these people are only playing offline, they'll never know if Live recalls their gamertag for use. I don't know if you've been forced to change your GT, but it's the same idea. You get to keep using your old name as long as you're offline, as soon as you connect you either change it to play online or don't change it and elect to play only offline. If someone never attempts to access Live they'll never know their name has been taken by someone else and they'll get to use it forever offline.

Spencer Estate
04-30-2010, 05:12 PM
That sounds great. I wanted "Resident Evil" but someone took it already.

Seraph Xii
04-30-2010, 05:26 PM
This isn't an issue. If these people are only playing offline, they'll never know if Live recalls their gamertag for use. I don't know if you've been forced to change your GT, but it's the same idea. You get to keep using your old name as long as you're offline, as soon as you connect you either change it to play online or don't change it and elect to play only offline. If someone never attempts to access Live they'll never know their name has been taken by someone else and they'll get to use it forever offline.

I did say "only to come back" so regardless, it wouldn't be a nice thing to come back to live only to discover your tag has been removed and taken by somebody else and you're forced to think of a new one.

bapae
04-30-2010, 05:45 PM
I think it would be a good idea if they warned the people first by e-mail, phone, and mail. Yea you should get a 30 days notice that you have 30 days to sign on or your account is going to be deleted.

NoMaD DiSTuRBeD
04-30-2010, 05:46 PM
As I said in the other thread perhaps it's time they added . - and _. I'd rather have that than random letters to make the name.

tarekegypt
04-30-2010, 05:58 PM

So basically if you lost your internet connection and don't have the money to get back online you deserve to lose your account, really not a good idea.

Well they cancel your hotmail and yahoo emails if you did not use it for a while, why not for GTs?

Vincent Bros09
04-30-2010, 06:17 PM
This idea has a lot of good things and a lot of bad things about it. I would go with the idea of that if they haven't played within 1-3 years and when Microsoft sends them e-mails and they haven't send back. Then just delete the GT and replace it with something related with the person. E.G. Say their name was John Smith and they're 21, replace it with JSmith21.

Lolo11bravo
04-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Absolutely not. I'm in the military now and when I get deployed that's at least a year that I don't touch an Xbox. If I came home and got on mine to find out that Microsoft had taken it upon themselves to delete me while I was busy getting shot at, I'd be a bit pissed. I do agree that there should be an unregister option because I have a couple of tags on mine that people made then got their own xbox and made a new one (not that anyone would want their GTs, not very creative or unique). That's just my opinion, as well as any military personelle who play Xbox.

domn8rdom
04-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Well they cancel your hotmail and yahoo emails if you did not use it for a while, why not for GTs?

I somewhat agree with you but Hotmail and yahoo email accounts are free. They let you use their space so if you arent using that space, they have every right to take it back, it's free. But paying is totally different.

I think if they set up a deadline to sign back in...4-5 years would be reasonable.

I know why you bring this up. I have looked up GTs on xbox.com just to find a profile with 0 gamerscore and hasnt been online since the great depression

SSJ3
04-30-2010, 07:00 PM
Don't you mean delete the gamertags? If they reset them they would just be on 0G lol :p

speed gun
04-30-2010, 07:42 PM
no
someones worked hard for their reputation on xbox live
accounts shouldnt be reset for not coming online

JaCKsWaS7eDL1Fe
04-30-2010, 07:46 PM
nah...one of my friends i play w a lot is in the military...played w him all the time...then he went to iraq...came back however many months later and played again

GhOsT SLaYeR
04-30-2010, 09:22 PM
i think they should.

Fizzmatix
04-30-2010, 09:39 PM

Hotmail don't delete your account, they just make it inactive. So technically they don't cancel it. And no one else could use that email address until you have terminated it completely. They may not even let you fully terminate it to be honest.

I still think you should be able to request a termination. If you're stupid enough to allow someone to gain access to your account then that's your fault.

That sounds more plausible then to just delete the account completely. The only downfall I could see with that option though is if someone elects not to use the button before abandoning an account or they're not able to access it because they lose their internet or can't pay for an Xbox Membership.

The other problem is, would anyone actually use the button if they are abandoning an account? The only way around that would probably be to call Xbox (if they offered this service) but I really don't see anyone expending the energy to deal with that stupid voice activated menu, holding for an hour to speak with an outsourced person from India and providing a crap load of information to confirm that you are indeed the owner of said account and not some random person closing it, etc

It's probably better the way they have it now...

If they set it up, it would probably involve you signing into xbox.com to request it then confirmation email and then entering a confirmation code.

That's how a lot of services do it anyhow, seeing as there are some really thoughtless people out there would just click away and screw up their account. It would also pay not to have it located anywhere on the xbox dashboard and just on the xbox website. Either that or have to deal with the tech support as an alternative.

RufftyMan
05-01-2010, 01:04 AM
Wouldn't word. Say for example someone had xbox live and then due to whatever circumstances lost their broadband connection, yet at the same time carried on using their xbox offline. If after a year or so they were then able to reconnect to xbox live, they would then lose the use of their profile due to the fact they had been offline.

Bulletwolf FTW
05-02-2010, 02:43 PM
I think it's a good idea to re-use old gamertags, but a year is a bit short to be honest. As people have said already, people in the military are pretty much guaranteed to lose their gamertags this way. I also agree with the point that Fizz made about being able to request the deletion of an account. That would definitely work :D

Kirye
05-02-2010, 03:48 PM
I agree with whoever said that gamertags with 0 score on them, and the original xbox logo should be deleted after a year. I've wanted the tag "Kirye" for a while now, but can't because it's taken by someone who never goes online, has no score, or even a 360. Nothing wrong with representing x360a and stuff, but it would be awesome to just have my regular username.

Besides, if they only play xbox games they lost their service already.