PDA

View Full Version : E74 - Opinions

Evo Kazz
04-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Well my daughters 360 was turned on today, and instantly died with the E74 error, turned on and off about 4 times same results. So I am guessing it's dead?

I have 5 months left on the 3 year warranty of this system, but I don't have proof of purchase, so I am guessing MS would not repair it anyways right?

People told me they are selling these consoles for 25 - 30 on eBay, just for the console with no cables/pad etc. Should I just flog it on there? and buy my daughter a new one? Or is it worth trying to fix this one? I hear that once they E74, they are not as reliable ever again. I'm thinking the cash from the broken console would pay quarter towards a new Arcade console, and she would still have her HDD. Also thinking of getting an extended warranty for 20.

So to sum it up, is it worth saving? or should I wave it goodbye on ebay....

Cardiff1927
04-29-2010, 10:07 PM
My first 360 died of the E74 error but then I just brought a new but indont no much about the chances of it dieing again sorry

Infection Ftw
04-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Well I had that problem last year and I didn't have any warranty left but my dad fixed it and it works perfectly normal again. However I play on the MW2 elite now.

kcarruthers
04-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Mine dies every few days from the E73 error. I fix it by overheating it by jamming qtips in the fans. This has worked for about 2 months but it is getting more frequent. I'm gonna have to get a new one soon (I have no warranty left, plus the disc drive is broken anyway).

Siren
04-29-2010, 10:26 PM
I just had this problem about a week ago. My warranty was up so I went out and bought an Elite system. People have complained that when they send their systems in to get fixed because of this problem they have got a new system but the faceplate was broken or other little things messed up. If I were you, I'd just buy a new one.

Retained
04-29-2010, 10:32 PM
I don't think I provided a proof of purchase when I still had my warranty, and they fixed it.

xM4N1CM3NT4L3Rx
04-29-2010, 10:54 PM
I got E74 , sent it in , they gave me a new one back , do that !

Boatski
04-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Repairing the E74 is VERY easy. I've performed it many times on my Xbox, but I can never get it to last more than 1 hour.

Just search for a guide. If you can follow directions, you can attempt a repair.

Kairi
04-30-2010, 12:56 AM
Well my daughters 360 was turned on today, and instantly died with the E74 error, turned on and off about 4 times same results. So I am guessing it's dead?

I have 5 months left on the 3 year warranty of this system, but I don't have proof of purchase, so I am guessing MS would not repair it anyways right?

People told me they are selling these consoles for 25 - 30 on eBay, just for the console with no cables/pad etc. Should I just flog it on there? and buy my daughter a new one? Or is it worth trying to fix this one? I hear that once they E74, they are not as reliable ever again. I'm thinking the cash from the broken console would pay quarter towards a new Arcade console, and she would still have her HDD. Also thinking of getting an extended warranty for 20.

So to sum it up, is it worth saving? or should I wave it goodbye on ebay....
I went through the exact same situation 2 months ago. They definitely take it right away, warrenty has nothing to do with it. Make a repair either over the phone with Microsoft or the Xbox Support site. They will fix it. Dont worry that doesnt mean it's unusable. Microsoft will either fix it or give you a new xbox free of change since its within the 3 year warrenty.

RuFiO
04-30-2010, 01:21 AM
If it is still in warranty why pay money to buy a new one? You will be getting the same one back and fixed or they will send a new one (probably refurbished). It is quite simple to use the xbox.com website to get the process rolling for the warranty, as you don't have to have any proof of purchase. You just have to be able to put the serial number into the website so it is linked to a profile. I am on my 3rd warrantied box and every time the process has been pretty smooth.

vv uk garf vv
05-01-2010, 06:20 AM
yeah send it back if you've not yet registered it online with ms then do so then just goto to start a repair on xbox.com couldn't be easier.

Kamakazi Pear
05-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Send it in for repairs, if once you get it back it breaks, then buy a new xbox.

Simple?