PDA

View Full Version : Feral Ghoul REAVERS?!

Pogo27
04-30-2010, 02:17 AM
Okay, I'm on my 3rd playthrough. Because this game is that fun.

But I've stumbled across a mob I never noticed in my first 2 playthroughs. Feral Ghoul REAVERS.

The first one I discovered was in some back corner in the subway journey from GNR plaza to the Mall. Because I did most all of the side missions before going to see 3 Dog for the first time, I was level 15 at the time I finally made this journey. I tried to kill the Feral Ghoul Reaver 3 times but could never get him below half life before he killed me, which took him 3 hits. He also doesn't seem to set off any mines I deploy.

Anyway, I finally gave up and just moved on. I explored far more thoroughly on my first two playthroughs, but I figured I probably just never discovered him on the first two playthroughs.

I was just going to ignore it as maybe some sort of glitched, impossible to kill monster and check back in on him later. But now I'm in the Museum of History. I've gone to the room with Lincoln's Repeater and the Chinese book (+1/2 sneak or whatever). I know with 100% absolute certainty that on my first two playthroughs there was a regular Feral Ghoul and a Glowing One in this room.

Not the case this time. This time, there was a regular Feral Ghoul and another Feral Ghoul Reaver. Once again, the Reaver was essentially impossibly to try. I started fighting him, set down some mines, shot him up a lot etc, before finally just giving up and running away before he could kill me.

Is this something that was changed in an update since my first two playthroughs (which were both before Point Lookout and Mothership Zeta were released)? Or is this something random that I just didn't roll in the first two playthroughs? Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

These guys are unkillable. I have a max repaired combat shotgun (52 damage), my small guns are at 100. They don't trigger frag or bottlecap mines, and I put 3 clips (36 rounds) of shotgun into him and he still had more than half of his health. Meanwhile, he kills me in about 3-5 hits.

Dz06lt
04-30-2010, 02:20 AM
they were added with Broken Steel they are super tough, also added were Albino RadScorpions & Mutant Overlords. The reavers & albinos have almost as much health as a super mutant behemouth

Pogo27
04-30-2010, 02:25 AM
Well, the Supermutant Behomeths are pretty easy to take down with a few well-placed Bottlecap Mines.

Feral Ghoul Reavers, on the other hand, seem to not set of mines at all, which is what concerns me the most.

Fortunately, I have the Ghoul Mask, in addition to the Operation Anchorage rewards...so I can just avoid fighting them.

Dz06lt
04-30-2010, 02:27 AM
why not just back the difficulty down if your having trouble. It wont affect your cheeves

Pogo27
04-30-2010, 02:32 AM
why not just back the difficulty down if your having trouble. It wont affect your cheeves
I'm not having difficulty. This is my third playthrough.

I just never noticed these guys before. And I'm curious as to why they're the only enemy in the game that is invulnerable to mines...

PwcrLinux
04-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Laser Gatling or Vengence easy kill reavers, if you don't have and just throw the Nuka-Grenade (high damage than regular grenade) or capmine.

Jakethemuss
04-30-2010, 10:01 AM
I found fighting a supermutant overlord on the highest difficulty something else. His (Its) tri-beam laser will pass right through whatever armour your wearing, plus even with a gauze gun or Harker's plasma rifle, its like shooting a pellet gun at a brick wall.

The feral ghoul reavers are a nightmare on any difficulty, just have to keep walking back and using VATS as soon as you get enough bars, even with almost maxed out combat skills and a sweet gun the reavers kept coming at me

Jet1337
05-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Reavers are tough and so are Overlords. There's a trick to dodging Reavers when they attack, but overall they're pretty easy to kill.

I suggest you invest in bottlecap mines and carry a dartgun to slow them down. Then use the Alien Blaster or Firelance if that shotgun is the most powerful thing you have.

There's an animation glitch where when they throw their radioactive gore, sometimes they'll start twitching real fast anything you shoot will go through them.

ViRaLuNdEaD
05-06-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm not having difficulty. This is my third playthrough.

I just never noticed these guys before. And I'm curious as to why they're the only enemy in the game that is invulnerable to mines...

I'm convinced the reavers are glitched in some way. There were times I killed them easily, but there were other times that it appeared as if they were untouchable. I posted on here about a year ago about a time I met up with one in some subway tunnels (I can't remember off the top of my head where, but it was in a section where you have to turn the power on so you can take a train...might have been one of the DLCs). I was using the gatlin laser, I had Fawkes with me, there was a ceiling turret, AND I had turned on the security bots so they were on my side. It was like a laser bukkake. We all pegged away at him for over 10 minutes and he just jerked around like he had Parkinson's and we barely scratched his health by the time I ran out of stimpaks and he killed Fawkes.

BadBoyKillah89
05-06-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm convinced the reavers are glitched in some way. There were times I killed them easily, but there were other times that it appeared as if they were untouchable.

You might be thinking of the Feral Ghoul Roamers, they have a heavy resemblance to the Feral Ghoul Reavers.

ViRaLuNdEaD
05-06-2010, 06:00 PM
You might be thinking of the Feral Goul Roamers, they have a heavy resemblance to the Feral Goul Reavers.

No, I'm thinking of the reavers. The ones with 1100 hitpoints. The ones in the Presidential Metro of BS.

BadBoyKillah89
05-06-2010, 07:02 PM
No, I'm thinking of the reavers. The ones with 1100 hitpoints. The ones in the Presidential Metro of BS.

I've yet to come across a Reaver that was easy to kill, but I guess with this game you never know. It's filled with an unthinkable amount of bugs & glitches.

Vonzipper
05-06-2010, 07:27 PM
I've yet to come across a Reaver that was easy to kill, but I guess with this game you never know. It's filled with an unthinkable amount of bugs & glitches.

I would have to disagree with you. I have spent easily 100+ hours on this game and have rarely only encountered minor bugs, so I wouldn't say there is an unthinkable amount of glitches.

Plus Broken Steel and Mothership Zeta were added for those people who had completed the majority of the game and were both aimed at higher level players. Therefore to make it more challenging they had to add more challenging enemies, thus the Reavers and Albinos.

Nonetheless if you are finding them too challenging crank the difficulty down a notch ;)

Pogo27
05-06-2010, 09:01 PM
I would have to disagree with you. I have spent easily 100+ hours on this game and have rarely only encountered minor bugs, so I wouldn't say there is an unthinkable amount of glitches.

Plus Broken Steel and Mothership Zeta were added for those people who had completed the majority of the game and were both aimed at higher level players. Therefore to make it more challenging they had to add more challenging enemies, thus the Reavers and Albinos.

Nonetheless if you are finding them too challenging crank the difficulty down a notch ;)

The Feral Ghoul Reavers are certainly located within the DLC content. However, the Feral Ghoul Reavers (like the Super Mutant Overlords) are found in various places throughout the Capital Wasteland. The first Super Mutant Overlord I encountered was just before the first Super Mutant Behemoth as I was entering the GNR building. The first Reaver I encountered was as I was traveling through the subway system between GNR Plaza and the Mall.

This is quite early in the story line. Following In His Footsteps is essentially the first main storyline quest after leaving Vault 101 and Galaxy News Radio, while skippable, is a main storyline quest that immediately follows.

There are also Reavers in the Dunwich Building, and numerous other completely non-DLC locations.

At while the Overlords were challenging (moreso than the Behemoths, which is disappointing--nothing in the game should be tougher than the Behemoths, they should have put the Overlord at Behemoth difficulty and ratcheted up the Behemoth difficulty), they weren't impossible to kill.

The Feral Ghoul Reavers however? Now, granted, I haven't tried fighting one since I was about level 17...but again, you can easily start encountering Reavers before you even hit level 10. Also, when I did first encounter a Reaver, I did have small guns maxed and was fighting him with a max repaired combat shotgun. Gaining more levels isn't going to increase the amount of damage I'm doing at that point. And yet the Reaver was impossible to kill.

It started with him not triggering my mines. He didn't trigger frag mines or bottlecap mines. This is completely broke. The only enemy that should be immune to mines should be some sort of intelligent being who is sneaking--just as the player is immune to traps when selecting the Light Step perk (it is my opinion that the player shouldn't be allowed any perks that the enemies of his world aren't, though there are some of course that simply wouldn't apply).

I didn't have the Dart Gun at the time I fought him, and while yeah, the Dart Gun wins basically any fight for you, particularly against opponents lacking a ranged attack, as you can just keep running circles around him, even if it takes 2 hours to finally kill him. I don't think the Dart Gun should be a necessary weapon for any fight. At least not any open world random encounter sort of fight. Maybe for a boss or two through the quests--but not for these chance encounters while adventuring.

I'm not saying the game should be easy. I'm also not saying the game is too difficult. If anything, it's almost too easy on Normal difficulty, except the Reavers. And maybe that's my problem with the Reavers. They're disproportionately difficult.

If I turn the difficulty level down any, the game is boring because every other fight...literally EVERY other fight, quest or non quest, story line or non story line, Behemoth or not, if I turn the difficulty down, all the fights are WAY too easy. Again, I thought on normal, it was mostly almost too easy.

On Normal, the Super Mutant Overlords felt appropriately tough, and on Hard, they'd be even more difficult I assume. And while, Reavers aside, the Overlords are probably the toughest enemies, they don't feel TOO tough compared to the challenge of the rest of the game.

The Reavers, on the other hand, it feels like I'm playing the game on VERY EASY and the Reavers are some monster that slipped in from the VERY HARD difficulty.

I've completed absolutely 100% of the content. There are some tough bosses, but absolutely nothing compares to the difficulty of the REAVERS.

BadBoyKillah89
05-06-2010, 09:03 PM

Consider yourself lucky. I'm on my 3rd playthrough and the game has crashed on me no less than 5 times (I know for a fact it's more), I've seen a DeathClaw shot straight into the air (up past the clouds), had problems with the roof in the Steel Yard in The Pitt, there was an Enclave soldier that I couldn't kill (he was frozen) but yet he was still yelling out his battle tactics ("take cover", "under fire"), etc. I could go on and on, and this is after all those "updates". Still, it takes nothing away from the game itself. I guess stuff like that is bound to happen in a game so big.

Pogo27
05-07-2010, 04:58 AM
I've seen the Deathclaw flying into the air as well--near the Scott Key campground. Is this where you saw it?

As for crashes, all I can say is save and save often.

Also, installing to the hard drive always helps.

BadBoyKillah89
05-07-2010, 06:48 AM
I've seen the Deathclaw flying into the air as well--near the Scott Key campground. Is this where you saw it?

As for crashes, all I can say is save and save often.

Also, installing to the hard drive always helps.

1. No, it was actually at the top of the steps of the front of the Capitol Building. A battle between the Enclave and the Super Mutants transpired and the DeathClaw (who was released from the Enclave's DeathClaw cage) just shot straight into the air. I thought it was pretty funny, it actually popped up about a minute later and finished off the rest of the Super Mutants.

2. Saving often is obvious, my save count is upwards of 5,000 at the moment (that includes my 2 previous playthroughs).

3. That's the only way I play my games, off the hard drive. I know my console appreciates it.

I really feel for the people who shelled out 60 bucks before all the updates & those who purchased the content when they first came out. There's plenty of bugs now but I don't even want to think of how bad it was as an early adopter of this game.