PDA

View Full Version : Dark Tower coming to big screen

XxBlueSpade2xX
04-30-2010, 06:55 AM
Stephen King's novels, then turned into comics, are now turning into film. I read the first novel, and I've been a huge fan of the Marvel series. I'm pretty excited about this becoming a film. I'm generally a fan of Ron Howard's films, and think he will be a good fit for this project.

A Beautiful Dark Tower
Da Vinci Code trio to adapt Stephen King's novels for film and TV.
by Jim Vejvoda

April 29, 2010 - Director Ron Howard, screenwriter Akiva Goldsman and producer Brian Grazer -- the Oscar-winning trio behind A Beautiful Mind, The Da Vinci Code, and Angels & Demons -- are in talks to adapt The Dark Tower, the acclaimed bestselling lit series by Stephen King, into a film trilogy. Universal is said to be angling to seal a deal for the rights to the fantasy western saga.

King, Imagine Entertainment and Weed Road are also said to be developing Dark Tower as a television series.

Both Deadline and The Hollywood Reporter are claiming the exclusive on this news, but we'll let them slog it out over who should get credit for that. Lord knows, neither outlet credited IGN Movies for breaking the news back in 2007 that J.J. Abrams had come aboard to try to adapt King's magnum opus for the screen.

The TV series aspect is a question mark. On one hand, THR claims there's "one scenario" where a Dark Tower "would lead to a TV series produced by Imagine's small-screen division." Deadline, on the other hand, says it will be both.

Source: http://movies.ign.com/articles/108/1086964p1.html

Athenis
05-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Dang, now I need to go out and buy the first two books again. I have the other five, but the first two got lost in a move somewhere along the line and I can't bring myself to read the others without reading those two again (it's been many years since I read them).

Hopefully Ron Howard takes an infinity and a half to make this like he usually does with movies so I have the time to read them all ;)

Oldgent
05-26-2010, 03:15 AM
They've been talking about this for some time now. I would love to see Roland on the big screen! They should've popped Mick Garris back in the chair, but Ron Howard is more than capable.

btw did anyone else think Jae Lee's art for the comics were beyond amazing?

Evelynee
08-14-2010, 10:08 PM
I really love the books, and I can't help hugging my pillow in the darkness, hoping that the Stephen King movie curse will miss this one.

magikman79
08-17-2010, 10:50 AM
I always wondered why the never made a dark tower movie

lizard9979
08-17-2010, 11:45 AM
I am not sure this will be a good thing. A lot of his books are completely lost on film.

Dark Tower will be VERY difficult to pull off, especually for someone liek Ron Howard.

rvlution
08-18-2010, 09:39 PM
I read the first and didn't really enjoy it but maybe the others I'll like more.

X monkfish69 X
08-20-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm torn at the moment. I can't figure out whether a TV mini-series would do this justice enough or whether they should make it into movies.... I've only read two-thirds of the original book as it was a book that I just couldn't get into. But Stephen King's writing style has changed a lot since he had his life-changing car crash a few years back and his work is so much better and easier to read IMO.

Hopefully, whatever they decide to do with this Dark Tower project, they will do it justice. (Fingers crossed).

rvlution
08-20-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm torn at the moment. I can't figure out whether a TV mini-series would do this justice enough or whether they should make it into movies.... I've only read two-thirds of the original book as it was a book that I just couldn't get into. But Stephen King's writing style has changed a lot since he had his life-changing car crash a few years back and his work is so much better and easier to read IMO.

Hopefully, whatever they decide to do with this Dark Tower project, they will do it justice. (Fingers crossed).

I too couldn't really get into it but his work before his crash is awesome! I'm not sure that I've read anything after it, but my favorite of his so far is Misery.

X monkfish69 X
08-22-2010, 09:33 AM
I too couldn't really get into it but his work before his crash is awesome! I'm not sure that I've read anything after it, but my favorite of his so far is Misery.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of his work prior to his crash was excellent, Misery being just one very good example. But the Dark Tower book I just couldn't get into it no matter how hard I tried and Skeleton Crew was hard work as well, but that's an old book now. Very old !

rvlution
08-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Don't get me wrong, a lot of his work prior to his crash was excellent, Misery being just one very good example. But the Dark Tower book I just couldn't get into it no matter how hard I tried and Skeleton Crew was hard work as well, but that's an old book now. Very old !

I would have to agree with Skeleton Key. I read the two stories in there that go together but they made zero sense.

X Nightmare X
09-06-2010, 03:50 PM
I never read the books although I always wanted to. Ive only heard good things about the book I think it's about time I read it now that the movie is being made.

duffmaniac
09-09-2010, 05:09 AM
Rumors of the Dark Tower series coming to the screen have been around for awhile with nothing really concrete. I was very intrigued when JJ Abrams' name was thrown into the mix but then that was quashed and all was quiet (to me) on the Dark Tower to the screen front. I missed out on the Ron Howard news until checking out Ain't It Cool News tonight and seeing this article http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46438 which points to the more informative story at http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/universal-lands-stephen-kings-the-dark-tower-and-plans-unprecedented-featurenetwork-tv-adaptation/#more-65742

I've been a fan of the Dark Tower since late grade school (started reading King young) through it's conclusion post-college and continuing with the comics to the present. I loved how as it went on more and more of King's twisted world was woven into the series.

This series finally being brought to the screen by Ron Howard with the TV series portions being on NBC is a shock. I always thought a dark animated series could most closely pull off the Tower, or possibly a live action series on a premium channel like HBO or Showtime given the scope of the novels. Hell, I've heard good things about Breaking Bad and Mad Men and am really looking forward to the Walking Dead on AMC so maybe even that'd fit, but network television, NBC? And don't get me wrong, Ron Howard does have his moments. Arrested Development got the shaft but that's a completely different genre from the Dark Tower. The Dark Tower gets pretty, well, dark. Can Opie pull that off?

Since this seems to be a go, I hope it turns out well but I'm going into it with very low expectations. If Howard can pull this off he'll shoot way up on my respect list.

D3fault121
09-12-2010, 10:28 PM
The Gunslinger is by far my favorite book of all time. So for them to make a movie of it would be amazing.