PDA

View Full Version : My account got phished, need a little help.

Gamerbug
04-30-2010, 06:57 AM
About a week ago I stupidly tried one of those "Free MS point" things. I wasn't thinking at the time, I know. And today my account got phished and my CC charged 155 dollars or so. I got it all sorted out with Xbox and they are "Investigating" it and they froze further charges. What I'm wondering is how long it should take to get my account back? Also, while im wating, can I play on that account offline and still earn achievements that will count once I get my account back? Or will it not count/even let me sign into that account?

Thanks in advance.

Seany Show
04-30-2010, 07:01 AM
If you played offline on your account, you would lose the achievements you earned as you will end up needing to recover your gamertag eventually and that will nulify the achievements you recieved offline. Just warning you. Wait till Microsoft get your account back and hopefully you've learned an important lesson.

Preykousis
04-30-2010, 02:35 PM
It still confuses me that people still fall for these websites. I mean, yeah, some people give stuff away (Like me and my buds at our site :p) but no one would/could make a legal MSP generator.

They cost money for a reason, like the guy above said - IF you get your account back, use it as a very harsh lession. I have, let's say "n00bish" friends who've done this in the past and never got their accounts back.

Sorry for the rant... hope you get your account back!

sk83rty
04-30-2010, 04:06 PM
That stinks. Yeah, none of those are legit because the points cost money. But there are ways to get free points, but technically they're not free as you have to do some work. I'd stay away from those sites though if I were you.

Preykousis
04-30-2010, 04:52 PM
But technically they're not free as you have to do some work.

All we ask for our giveaways is for the user to click 'Subscribe' lol, not too much work, but, yeah.

bapae
04-30-2010, 05:42 PM
About a week ago I stupidly tried one of those "Free MS point" things. I wasn't thinking at the time. Ok first of all why would even even consider using one of those... And as the police say "Ignorance is no excuse".

ogbross
04-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Some people are just fools

SSJ3
04-30-2010, 06:15 PM
All we ask for our giveaways is for the user to click 'Subscribe' lol, not too much work, but, yeah.

I seriously doubt that lol.

Tufty
04-30-2010, 06:35 PM
It still confuses me that people still fall for these websites. I mean, yeah, some people give stuff away (Like me and my buds at our site :p) but no one would/could make a legal MSP generator.

They cost money for a reason, like the guy above said - IF you get your account back, use it as a very harsh lession. I have, let's say "n00bish" friends who've done this in the past and never got their accounts back.

Sorry for the rant... hope you get your account back!

As long as there are people, there will be stupid people.

Lolo11bravo
04-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Wow, I've never came across one of those sites but I most definetly not try to go for it. I like to think I'm not quite that gullible and naive. I'll just stick with the old fashion way, actually paying for the things I get.

Preykousis
05-01-2010, 12:41 PM
I seriously doubt that lol.

Huh? It's true. In March, we gave away 10 Forza 3 DLC codes. In April, we gave away a 2100 MSP code. In May, it's going to be a 3 month Gold. What's so hard to believe?

SSJ3
05-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Huh? It's true. In March, we gave away 10 Forza 3 DLC codes. In April, we gave away a 2100 MSP code. In May, it's going to be a 3 month Gold. What's so hard to beleive?

So there's no catch at all? I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe you would give away stuff for free.

gamerguy69
05-01-2010, 04:53 PM
So there's no catch at all? I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe you would give away stuff for free.

Are you serious? You mean to tell me that you cannot wrap your mind around the concept that there are sites that actually give away stuff for free?

Well, as previously mentioned, you do have to 'Subscribe' and of course based on the number of subscribers your odds of winning (probably a random drawing) are either high or low.

I've seen people on TWITTER give out stuff just for re-tweeted or following them.

What's hard to believe?

As for the OP. Well, that really sucks. You actually believed that a website needed to have your Windows LIVE ID log-in and password <<< (hey, they use that for phising!) -- in order to "award" you MS points?

SSJ3
05-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Are you serious? You mean to tell me that you cannot wrap your mind around the concept that there are sites that actually give away stuff for free?

I'm not a idiot, But a website giving stuff away for free what no one has heard of is a little weird.

MachineZed
05-01-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm not a idiot, But a website giving stuff away for free what no one has heard of is a little weird.
The thing is it isn't free, as they were probably paying for the subscription he mentioned earlier.

I know you pay access to the site or special things on the site, and get a chance to win the special things etc

SSJ3
05-01-2010, 06:38 PM
The thing is it isn't free, as they were probably paying for the subscription he mentioned earlier.

I know you pay access to the site or special things on the site, and get a chance to win the special things etc

Exactly almost nothing is free lol.

AltruismIsDead
05-01-2010, 06:39 PM
There are some sites out there that are legit and give away free stuff. I think it's a forum rule not to mention or basically advertise other gaming sites, but I am a member of a rather large and well known gaming site, that features the Angry Video Game Nerd and there have been times they had free give-aways. But even with sites like that they would NEVER ask you for you windows login info, only an email address (which I always give an unrelated one from my xbox login)

Normally the sites that do that stuff have a huge fanbase/are popular and get revenue from ads etc that allow them to do that. But if it's a shady site that you never heard of that wants your windows live login info...... that's a different story. Never give that info out unless you're at the actual site (hotmail, xbox.com etc)

Even when I get "official" emails from xbox I still don't check out the links.

Preykousis
05-01-2010, 09:32 PM
We're currently starting off as an extremely independent gaming community. So why not give back to the community that we love so much?

We say "Subscribe" to our YouTube page, that's all. When the next giveaway starts, we ask our subs to post a comment on the channel page to enter each month, then the winner is chosen at random.

It's free for the subs and only takes about 30 seconds a month to enter. Sometimes it's one prize, sometimes multiple prizes. All in the name of fun.

What, just because we're an independent site and fairly new means we can't give stuff away?

But even with sites like that they would NEVER ask you for you windows login info, only an email address (which I always give an unrelated one from my xbox login)

We never have, or never will ask for anything like that.

Retained
05-02-2010, 04:12 AM
There are quite a few ways to get free things, its just rare.

I got a the Stimulus map pack for MW2 free by tweeting to @Fourzerotwo.