PDA

View Full Version : How cheap is MS???

MACdanstaface
04-30-2010, 10:56 PM
I just got on the leaderboards for Tuthankam, and while the video was loading on the network, I thought there might be a chance I get the Mascot for free.

Well, no...

What are your thoughts on that? Don't you think that giving out a Mascot for anyone making the leaderboards would be a nice gesture - and MS wouldn't go bankrupt on that, even if they would probably be giving out quite a few mascots the first few days after a game came out.

linktriforce007
04-30-2010, 11:00 PM
I just got on the leaderboards for Tuthankam, and while the video was loading on the network, I thought there might be a chance I get the Mascot for free.

Well, no...

What are your thoughts on that? Don't you think that giving out a Mascot for anyone making the leaderboards would be a nice gesture - and MS wouldn't go bankrupt on that, even if they would probably be giving out quite a few mascots the first few days after a game came out.

It would be a nice idea, but consider this. The leaderboards are constantly changing with new players. For them to give mascots out to each person who makes the leaderboard...that's not cheap, it's completely flawed.

plus, microsoft announced that if you bought the game day 1 you'd get a free avatar. Just the way it is. Tough luck, but less than 100 ms points for something you may want isn't that bad.

pauly_27
05-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Considering the news ticker actually states that if you buy a game on day of release, you get the mascot for free, what made you think you would get it just for getting on the leaderboards?.

Hardly a case of Microsoft being cheap, more a case of wanting something for nothing.

linktriforce007
05-01-2010, 01:32 AM
Considering the news ticker actually states that if you buy a game on day of release, you get the mascot for free, what made you think you would get it just for getting on the leaderboards?.

Hardly a case of Microsoft being cheap, more a case of wanting something for nothing.

100% Agreed. The concept of Game Room is that people expect to be getting a product for free. Whoever started with this idea is a complete idiot. Buy games on day of release to get mascots. That's why I buy them right away. It's sooo simple!

Stop complaining, and ditch out the measley amount of points for an Avatar for Tutankham.(60 or 80, I believe.)

My dad's friend once told me "If you can't afford something and can't borrow it, you don't need it."

pauly_27
05-01-2010, 05:52 AM
It's 40 points for a mascot.

Most people will have lost that amount (in monetary value) down the back of their couch in the past month.

I know I have, I'm sure there is a gnome in my couch who takes all my small change as I sleep.

MACdanstaface
05-01-2010, 07:57 AM
It would be a nice idea, but consider this. The leaderboards are constantly changing with new players. For them to give mascots out to each person who makes the leaderboard.

and MS wouldn't go bankrupt on that, even if they would probably be giving out quite a few mascots the first few days after a game came out.

As you can see in the quote above I already mentioned that , so it's kind of odd you introduce your point with "consider this". If you take out first day buyers who get it for free anyways, I don't really think MS will be giving out 1000 mascots a day...

I never heard of anyone being outraged about someone getting a free game if he gets a high score on a pinball machine (or simply hits the replay score).
I also don't see how you went from my comment to "people always want stuff for free". Do you think it's shocking that people who buy the game on the first day get it for free? If not, what is so outrageous about suggesting you get it based on the scores you make?

And just as a matter of principle, it would also mean that you could theoretically "earn" the Mascot achievement and not simply pay for it.

My dad's friend once told me.
PS: If you have a point to make, I don't really think you need make it rely on what your dad's friend said. Aside from some of the individuals who know him, the majority of us don't really consider him an authority on anything...

littlejay
05-01-2010, 12:39 PM
nobody said you had to consider him an authority. it's a quote. a good quote at that but it does not apply to everything. just silly stuff. like 50 cent mascots that give you a 5 point achievement

like i need a new dryer. can't afford a new one and can't borrow one...but i need it :p

MS is not cheap. They are a business that tries to make money. they may have more things being sold in one spot than anyone else :p but that does not make them any worse. in all sorts of non-gaming business, things get delayed, stuff is overpriced, and someone wants something for free. it's life bub!

you can go to holister, look at a plain blue tee shirt with a few dots of paint on it, and pay $30 and then go to their forums and say it's not fair :p

MACdanstaface
05-01-2010, 01:35 PM
I might not have been clear...

I never said I felt ripped off because I didn't get the mascot, or that I demanded one for free - I couldn't care less about mascots (and I'd personally never spend 2 MS pts on one).

The only thing I said is that it would seem kind a good feature. Given all the problems currently involved with GR, there might not have been much thought put into all that. But you'd assume that it's an idea that must have come up at some point in the process of making GR, which was obviously not put into effect.

As for the lectures, thanks for telling me MS is a company which has to make a profit. By definition, "cheap" refers here to a small expense which would not dramatically affect the company's financial results. It's a matter of principle which consists in not giving out something of small value. And given how over (a short period of) time the leaderboards won't change much, giving out a mascot would not affect MS' or Krome's benefits.

If you don't like my wording, just take my comment as a suggestion.

littlejay
05-01-2010, 02:09 PM
im not trying to flame you in this post, just saying it comes across that you were just wanting a free mascot for some reason. just normally reading your post, we would have known what you really mean. but the title kinda changes the mood with several ?s and a big red thumbs down.

it's just achievement hunters here. not many people that can take your suggestion and put it in the box at krome are lurking around these parts. the xbox.com forums would be a good place to put in a serious suggestion for the game room. posts like that here can get taken the wrong way if you are not careful.

i personally dont see a need for getting a free mascot for the leaderboards. leaderboards are usually just rewards in themselves and it could get tricky doing extra rewards for them and more so with hackers going in and out of the leaderboards all the time

MACdanstaface
05-01-2010, 02:35 PM
I guess the thumbs down can be confusing. Since it's just a suggestion/opinion piece, I figured I should put something next to the title so people know what to expect - in retrospect, I guess I should have left it as is...

I changed the title (and cut out the ??? & thumbs down).

EDIT: Title change might not have worked...

As for hackers, I didn't think of that, but didn't those who messed around with the asteroids high scores get kick out?

littlejay
05-01-2010, 03:09 PM
title changes change the title in the post not the whole thread

Al3X 90 UK
05-01-2010, 03:32 PM
i think charging for those things is a joke anyway lol, these are all games i can get for a tenner from argos inteellivion

linktriforce007
05-01-2010, 06:01 PM
i think charging for those things is a joke anyway lol, these are all games i can get for a tenner from argos inteellivion

I've said this soooo many times, I swear. But if you want to buy it, buy it. If you don't, that's cool too. They really don't care, would they be happy if you bought it? Duh. They make money on 2KB of data. (estimated amount, don't quote that). However; it's like a chiropractor. They take a look at your joints and say, "Hey, you need to come in three times a week." If you show up once a week, it's fine. Once a month or year? That's fine too.

Whining about it doesn't make it come any easier. I'm not saying you're whining, but it kinda sounds like it.

Don't take it harshly, because 80% of the people on these forums are trolling @$$holes, who really couldn't care less about people's feelings. These forums seem to be a popularity contest about who to be nice to, so...yeah. Don't worry about it. Just because this is an achievement website, that doesn't mean that that's all that can be talked about.

pauly_27
05-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I wasn't trying to be mean or offensive when I posted either. I was trying to point out that something like that would be in the news ticker.

Sorry if I worded it in a seemingly flaming manner.