PDA

View Full Version : need help making a decision

Acegunman
05-04-2010, 02:10 AM
I'm going to college soon and ever since i started high school i wanted to become a video game developer. Lately there has been a lot of lay-offs in the industry and i am really starting to have second thoughts on this. also i have been noticing that the industry has been out sourcing a lot of video games studios as well in other countries.Should i still study game art and design in college or pursue something else?

Sampson
05-04-2010, 02:41 AM
If that's what you REALLY want to do, I'd say go for it. Even though you might have to do a bit of searching if it'll make you happy then stick it out. You'll be happy you did because you'll be off developing badass games. Good luck.

EchoPark
05-04-2010, 02:47 AM
Do it man! I know in the UK there really pushin gaming development especially where am from i wish i could of done it! But i was always more hardware

EmporerDragon
05-04-2010, 04:19 AM
I'd say keep going on, but realize one thing: If you want to get hired, you've gotta stand out; just having a degree means squat in the eyes of the companies. Use your knowledge to make and release stuff so you have a great portfolio to present yourself when it comes time for an actual job.

DeekBoy
05-04-2010, 08:24 AM
DO IT!!!! thats what im looking into doing as well. and who knows maybe once you get your degree maybe the market will be more booming

Seany Show
05-04-2010, 08:29 AM
If it's something your passionate about then don't give up just yet. If your still young, you have plenty of time to study and I'm sure the industry will be in a better position in the future.

I'm doing Computer Games Design at university and hope to get some internship work over the summer. It's just about getting your foot in the door.

EchoPark
05-04-2010, 11:02 AM
I always say indie games are the key these years. I know it did good things for some ppl over here. Work on a pretty good indie game, to go with ur portflio and get it out there. It would be pretty good. But then again it depends what side of the gaming devlopment ur going in to

Seraph Xii
05-04-2010, 11:33 AM
The rule I follow whenever it comes to careers is don't do what you think will be successful, do what you'll enjoy.

If doing this would be your dream job and you think you'll love it, what could be better than that? Go for it. Although remember that if you turn something you love into a job you may stop loving it.

Heybunny
05-04-2010, 12:59 PM
I would certainly recommend going for your dream course too - I would also try and do a course like that but I'm not into the programming side of things. I'm much more interested in art, hence why I'm applying to do Graphic Design this year. :)

But yeah, I say follow your heart otherwise you might end up regretting it later.

gromitSWE
05-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Go for what you want! :)

sk83rty
05-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Go for who you are. If you want to make games really bad, then do that. But if I were you, I'd try making a small game on your own during the summer with a level editor of some kind to see if you really like doing it. I thought I'd be interested in level design but I actually tried making a game in a program called Game Maker and I didn't really enjoy it at all.