PDA

View Full Version : How many times have you run up to somebody, mashing B to punch?

Cable Player
05-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Who else keeps getting confused with the new button layout?
I kept running up to numerous people to bash them with :bbut: but in fact it was :rbbut:, only for them to shoot me once or twice and get a head shot on me.

I'm a little suspicious about the amount of people who don't die with an entire magazine of my fancy new needle rifle to the face, but then manage to get me with one or two shots, getting a head shot.

Battosai343
05-04-2010, 01:44 PM
I lol'd at this thread. I have done this so many times. It makes me especially mad when I try to use it for an assassination. :mad:

N3xus Gam3r
05-04-2010, 01:53 PM
change the controls to Recon

xSeifer13x
05-04-2010, 02:11 PM
The first 2 or 3 matches I played where hell for me. I guess I should have payed more attention to the controls and watched more of the videos showcasing how to play the DAMN GAME!

Otherwise after I started remembering this wasn't Halo 3 I started doing pretty well. I killed the entire team with a flag, that's so far been my highlight.

Bastardus
05-04-2010, 02:25 PM
in the first game I did it^^
then at the 2nd game it worked kinda good with the hit button change
but I think u cant kill somebody anymore with one hit after u shot down ur half or full magazine on him

b3nnyth3gr33k
05-04-2010, 02:25 PM
hundreds im sick of doing it

GhostFalcon3
05-04-2010, 02:38 PM
too many times, I havnt decided if I am going to get used to the controls are just change them

Thicketford
05-04-2010, 02:50 PM
I use the Green thumb layout, so I don't have a problem

Andreas_loel
05-04-2010, 02:56 PM
I switched to bumper jumper before my first game...

Cable Player
05-04-2010, 04:00 PM
The first 2 or 3 matches I played where hell for me. I guess I should have payed more attention to the controls and watched more of the videos showcasing how to play the DAMN GAME!

Otherwise after I started remembering this wasn't Halo 3 I started doing pretty well. I killed the entire team with a flag, that's so far been my highlight.

I picked up the flag and took it to the enemy's base, expecting points to pop up or something because I didn't have a clue what to do.
When three of the enemy came round the corner and I mashed :rbbut: trying to drop the flag but ended up killing all three of them so I guess it's not all that bad!
I'll get used to the controls sooner or later. When I traded MW2 for BFBC2 I got used to the controls quite quickly, but I occasionally crouch when trying to knife!

Opiate42
05-04-2010, 04:59 PM
I lol'd at this thread.

Ditto, same here. I did it only once. Honestly loving the :rbbut: melee!! I was one of those "just a split second behind" on the :bbut: button guys...finding the bumper so much smoother and faster!

Natetendo83
05-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Green thumb ftw

R3D DRAG0N 94
05-04-2010, 06:01 PM
If you preferred the Halo 3 controls then it would be best to use the Recon control layout, there is also a huge range of other layouts.

Tufty
05-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Halo Reach controls FTL! :(

Nozza XBA
05-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Never looked at the new controls before I started and I've done it a few times.

First I did it obviously nothing happened and I was confused and was like "So the B button does nothing now?"

So I died, respawned and found a corner to figure what button beat down and then found out B changed nade.

Just played a few more games now and I still do it sometimes in the heat of a close fight.. annoys me, but i'll get used to it!

Cable Player
05-04-2010, 08:03 PM
To be honest, I was slightly dissapointed that you couldn't configure each button to how you want it. This game is supposed to be amazing, and all new but I don't think I've played a game that allows you to assign each button.

Skillet
05-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I do this a LOT.

I also hit the RB to reload sometimes and melee instead.

Cable Player
05-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I do this a LOT.

I also hit the RB to reload sometimes and melee instead.

Now that you mention it, I think every time that I go to reload I melee by mistake!
I honestly don't know why they decided to change the button layout. There is only one new button needed to be used, but that could have easily been solved by a click of the :ls:

KNIGHTOFSERA
05-04-2010, 08:48 PM
honestly I havent played a halo game in a while....so I didnt have to unlearn an old way

I did however spend countless matches trying to figure out how to assasinate

Ace Of Dawn
05-04-2010, 09:44 PM
I did in the beginning, got used to the default controls very quickly. Then I got annoyed that whenever I assassinated someone, it went through the animation even though it felt like I lightly tapped the button. My friend suggested Recon, which is basically 'b' to melee, right bumper to reload. So pretty much the Halo 3 way. Tried it, kept getting confused because I got really used to the default way. Haha.

Cable Player
05-04-2010, 10:43 PM
I did in the beginning, got used to the default controls very quickly. Then I got annoyed that whenever I assassinated someone, it went through the animation even though it felt like I lightly tapped the button. My friend suggested Recon, which is basically 'b' to melee, right bumper to reload. So pretty much the Halo 3 way. Tried it, kept getting confused because I got really used to the default way. Haha.

I do that with Call of Duty and Battlefield Bad Company.
If I play CoD after playing BF I always press the wrong buttons, but as soon as I change the button layout I start hitting the 'correct' buttons!

Pearson
05-05-2010, 03:14 AM
I only played 1 match so far so I only done it 3 or 4 times, so I'll change the controller layout tomorrow night so I don't do it again. Someone said the Green Thumb was a good choice, any others?

Geerolla
05-05-2010, 05:37 AM
Green Thumb is the way to go, especially with the new layout having zoom as :rbbut:.

Sunrise
05-05-2010, 08:25 AM
I was hitting :bbut: my few couple of matches, then after I switched the controls so :bbut: was the melee button, I started hitting :rbbut: instead. Gah!

Cable Player
05-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Green Thumb is the way to go, especially with the new layout having zoom as :rbbut:.

Is green thumb a different controller layout? :abut: to melee?

Jet1337
05-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Hell no! RB is the best button for melee because you can actually turn AND melee! It's funny when people melee at me because they lunge in a straight path, then I turn around and assassinate them. It's what separates the nubs from the good players.

EternalPredator
05-05-2010, 01:11 PM
i prefer using :rbbut: it is quicker and alot easier than the :bbut:

Cable Player
05-05-2010, 01:51 PM
What I don't understand is I keep getting double-punched. But I am mashing :rbbut: Why do they punch so much faster than me?

Junzi Nicuzn
05-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Never. But then I've used Boxer since the first Halo.

The Elite Elite
05-09-2010, 01:33 AM
I never had that problem either. I've always used Green Thumb throughout the Halo series, so no trouble with melee for me. However, it did take me a while to retrain myself to use X to reload instead of the RB.

TpYourHouse
05-09-2010, 04:56 AM
Do people not realize you can switch it to "Recon" settings, its the same button layout as Halo 3's.

UCB Disco
05-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Whenever I go up to someone and press B, I melee and kill them (Or die, depending on who wins the duel). The Recon control-type is by far my favorite. The default one is a bit too strange for me. I like reload on the left bumper and melee with B. Everything else is pretty good.

Mr Moozipan
05-09-2010, 09:20 AM
I dont really have this problem on Reach but when I went back to Halo 3 I was using the :rbbut: button and then the opposite team killed me (I dont use bumper jumper).

XxHamRxX
05-09-2010, 11:49 AM
I dont really have this problem on Reach but when I went back to Halo 3 I was using the :rbbut: button and then the opposite team killed me (I dont use bumper jumper).

ye same here i went back to h3 and i was doin so bad (worse than usual lol) running into a battle only to reload:mad: o well not like ill be playing it for much longer.. well only here and there til release. legendary ftw!

Firvagor
05-09-2010, 02:37 PM
What I don't understand is I keep getting double-punched. But I am mashing :rbbut: Why do they punch so much faster than me?
Probably the melee glitch (:rbbut: :xbut: :rbbut:).

I actually forgot about melee completely for the first couple games, then I had no trouble with :rbbut: (I use default controls).
Sometimes I hold down :ls: expecting to start running, since I usually choose sprint as my ability. Other times I press :ltbut: expecting to zoom. Too much Borderlands. >.<

a random cat
05-09-2010, 02:42 PM
I use to do this a lot, but now I can get an easy beat down using the RB button.

Jay Leon Hart
05-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Why oh why can't consoles get custom key configurations? *sigh*

Gothikaspawn
05-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Yeah I do it all the time, though B is my melee button so no problems :)

zslux
05-10-2010, 05:29 PM
recon setup.

Chaos GMR
05-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Yea definitely, also the reload button felt off.....but keep in mind i just played and finished Bioshock2 and Left4Dead2 which messes you up.

WhiteWing NL
05-10-2010, 08:31 PM
I did this a buttload of times
Everytime i could melee someone i pressed B but changed the controller setting to recon and i was fine ;)

xxm1llertimexx
05-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Use the recon setup and u wont have this problem!!!!

NewSparta
05-11-2010, 12:03 AM
When i first saw this thread,i thought "Oh he's probably going to talk about the noobs that run around double meleeing people"Because in my honest opinion you could do good just by doing this.It's not so fair that i shoot my whole ar clip into you and make you at a slither of HP left in the bar and instinctively i Melee you and you melee me,Now it's up to who mashes B faster then the outher T_T

Firvagor
05-11-2010, 02:50 AM
It's not so fair that i shoot my whole ar clip into you and make you at a slither of HP left in the bar and instinctively i Melee you and you melee me,Now it's up to who mashes B faster then the outher T_T
Use the magnum instead. Problem solved. (Although amusing melee battles tend to occur anyway)

Once I (finally) realized how awesome it is, I haven't gone back.

rollo 93
05-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Use the magnum instead. Problem solved. (Although amusing melee battles tend to occur anyway)

Once I (finally) realized how awesome it is, I haven't gone back.

I find the magnum more effective than the dmr, especially in invasion

Lewi
05-13-2010, 02:05 PM
yea i must say the pistol is awesome
it will come in super handy in the campaign
seems balanced too with small clips and not a huge capacity (40?)

i too use it more than the dmr
does anyone eelse think the DMR sounds arent too great? seems a bit pinish

k0rak
05-30-2010, 10:50 PM
I like the RB as the melee but its reeking havoc with me playing Halo3

txlonestar wolf
06-12-2010, 06:05 AM
too many times to count

ethanl2k7
06-12-2010, 03:23 PM
good thing i played bumper jumper in halo 3.:woop:

kennyubasterd00
06-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Never did it, it took so long for me to get a match to start the first day (aka meltdown mania day), that i killed time looking at all the options before I could play and noticed the new layout and said "Well that coulda been bad!"

only problem i have now is using armor abilities instead of switching grenades :3

flamesfan121
06-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Yeah I get mixed up because in most hockey games :bbut: is the punch button, then I play a war game and press it and get killed

Darth Grif55
06-21-2010, 04:53 AM
Not me. I used bumper jumper in Halo 3 & used in Reach. ^_^