PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions abot writing reviews.

Cable Player
05-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Hey people, I'm interested in writing reviews, along-side hints and tips for some of the games that I enjoy playing the most. I have a couple of questions that would I need answering and it would be brilliant if you could help me :)

1.When creating a thread/post, is there a character limit/ limit to how much you can put in one box? If so, what is this limit?
-This is because if I format it in the correct way, I could simply copy & paste it into a post.
2.When I have finished the review/ hints and tips, is it OK to post them on the specific games forum page for people to view? - If they are considered to be of high enough standard, is there a chance a moderator may 'sticky' my thread?
3.I fully accept that this is voluntary and that I will probably get naff all from it, but if my reviews are rated well, is there the possibility that I get something in return? For example, one of the rewards that sit underneath your user-name, for submitting a review?
-I do not expect anything, but acknowledgment for work that is good, (which would be decided by the community) is appreciated.

I'm sure I will think of other things to ask that are relevant to the situation. If I do I will update this post.

Off-Topic, something else that I have been wondering about is:
Are you allowed to host your own 'mini competitions' where all the winner gets is a thumbs up? For example, I could say find me a hilarious screen shot from this game, and when I choose the winner I can simply let the participants know. - It would obviously be for those who want to participate and I would only expand on it if I have multiple responses.
If this is allowed, would I have to post in a certain forum, or would the specific game's forum be fine?

Thank you for your help :)

DeekBoy
05-04-2010, 09:47 PM
1. im not 100% on if there is a limit or not but i see a lot of people posting in multiple posts just because it seems to be easier on the eyes maybe. you van also reserve the nest post and so on so you can edit them later as you see fit.

2.in order to get a sticky i believe a Moderater must look at it and deem it worthy... i m not positive on which Mod does that or if they all do but you may be able to just send a private message... never hurts to ask :D

3.i believe that you can only get a award fro writing a road map for achieves or something of that matter

off topic: i would ask Minty about that... i know that the subscribers had a recent unofficial tournament and we are still conducting tournaments every month and Minty was a part of it so im not positive if this is aloud or not... i would just ask to make sure before you post something

Cable Player
05-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Thank you for your response.
I will PM the appropriate Moderators.

Fizzmatix
05-04-2010, 09:56 PM
1. The limit is 10,000 characters which can be hit with little to no effort due to spaces, urls and bb code.

2. From what I've seen reviews are never stuck as the site has it's own review section, if you wrote for the site then it would be placed on the main site. You would probably have to go through some sort of trial to prove you would be up to the standard of what Dan expects for reviews. I haven't seen any requests for new reviews so it's unlikely at this time.

3. Badges are given out for various things, but the only thing i could see related to writing a top notch review is the A+ awards, and they don't get given out lightly either.

With compositions and such you would be better off asking whoever has run them in the past and see if you can make them semi-official. There hasn't been any user run ones that I've seen in the past, and there probably won't be in the future due to the drama some people cause.

Cable Player
05-04-2010, 10:20 PM
2. From what I've seen reviews are never stuck as the site has it's own review section, if you wrote for the site then it would be placed on the main site. You would probably have to go through some sort of trial to prove you would be up to the standard of what Dan expects for reviews. I haven't seen any requests for new reviews so it's unlikely at this time.

3. Badges are given out for various things, but the only thing i could see related to writing a top notch review is the A+ awards, and they don't get given out lightly either.

Thank you for the detailed response.
Taking point 2 and 3 into account, If I wrote a top-notch review, but it was decided that it would not replace a previous one etc. Is there still the possibility that the award would be given?

I am just trying to 'explore all corners' at the moment as I am intensly interested in writing some reviews on behalf of the website.
I would like to get involved with the website, and in my opinion I think it is best to start from here.

Fizzmatix
05-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Thank you for the detailed response.
Taking point 2 and 3 into account, If I wrote a top-notch review, but it was decided that it would not replace a previous one etc. Is there still the possibility that the award would be given?

I am just trying to 'explore all corners' at the moment as I am intensly interested in writing some reviews on behalf of the website.
I would like to get involved with the website, and in my opinion I think it is best to start from here.

I'm not sure about the awards but if you write reviews and post them on the forum they won't end up on the main site. You would have to talk details with whoever allows people to be on the review team, Webb?.

I don't think awards will ever be given to people for writing reviews but who knows. You would be better off asking Minty of Webb to find out how you become a reviewer for the site. I know it involves writing and having it approved :P.

SuperNova X2X
05-05-2010, 12:09 AM
If you're interested in writing reviews, I would suggest starting your own blog to begin with and going from there. I used to write at a site but it sort of died out, so I started a blog and went from there. I'm writing for a new up and coming website at the moment and they're always looking for new writers. Hit me up with a PM if interested :)

Cable Player
05-05-2010, 08:55 AM
I started a blog http://CablePlayer.blogspot.com
Nobody visited though and the only comment was from someone who thought they were related to me _

jamie1000013
05-05-2010, 03:50 PM
if you started to review games it would have to be the ones that are not well known games because mods mainly do the big games like Alan Wake etc. You could post a review on a game that hasn't had one like dead to rights or an old game and see what happens.

Cable Player
05-05-2010, 03:59 PM
if you started to review games it would have to be the ones that are not well known games because mods mainly do the big games like Alan Wake etc. You could post a review on a game that hasn't had one like dead to rights or an old game and see what happens.

that was certainly my intensions... I honestly would not know where to start though! Every game at my local GAME store is on the website and has a reveiw. I have never seen a game that is not on this website. I suppose Ive only seen the more popular games though...

Fizzmatix
05-05-2010, 04:21 PM

Though it may seem like there are games without reviews, it's more likely that there is a review. Not all the reviews that have been done by the review team have been made active, and may never be made active.

iBlessing 09
05-05-2010, 05:09 PM
dynamik123 (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=35941)made a MW2 user tournament, he's not staff and he was allowed. You should ask him for more information.

Cable Player
05-05-2010, 05:12 PM
dynamik123 (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=35941)made a MW2 user tournament, he's not staff and he was allowed. You should ask him for more information.

Thank you, I will get in touch with him :)