PDA

View Full Version : Have achievements taken the fun out of gaming...

LLC2003
05-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Ok – a pretty bold statement but I feel I am playing games for the wrong reasons. 18 months I played a game, completed the story and then trading it in. Achievements were an unknown entity and just existed as a number against each game.

One day I played ME1 through to completion and a strange thing happened - I suddenly felt the need to gain every achievement in a game before moving onto the next. This need has meant I have spent 1000’s of hours grinding old and new games to increase my gamer score to as close as 100% completion as possible.

The problem this has caused has meant I now play games purely for the reason of completing them – hence removing the satisfaction. I have played some great games this year (me2, ac2) and all I was thinking while playing was – how many achievements are left and how long will it take. Quite worryingly I don’t engross myself in the story any more.

I refuse to play the so called ‘cheap 1ks’ to boost my score – as this would give me no satisfaction also. I just wondered is anyone else in the same boat and is so how did you get your love of gaming back?

jtr1gg3r
05-05-2010, 01:07 PM
ive never been addicted to cheevos......... never.

I only really 1k games if I can be arsed and actually like them =P

I suggest you go and play some games on ps2 or xbox original or something, complete a few games without worrying about achievements and just have fun =P

when you play your 360 again, hopefully you wont be obsessed =P

LLC2003
05-05-2010, 01:17 PM
I think I need to really get back into fun MP again - I have spent so many long hours grinding out 650 online wins in Virtua Tennis 2009 or getting Kingpin in SR1 and SR2 that it has taken most of the fun out.

I need to get back playing the games I enjoy and not worry so much about the completion %

Swizzler
05-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Ive been gaming for as long as I can remember, achievements just enhance the game giving it more replay value. I would always try to complete a game but now with achievements im leaving the games main path to grab collectables, reach high / low points, kill x enemies, find secrets etc all the things you'd ignore if you got nothing for it.

Hurray for achievements!!! :woop:

LLC2003
05-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Dont get my wrong, Achievements are great. They have added so much extra value to my gaming experience.

The issue I have is that achievements have kind of taken over and I am losing my love for the game itself.

I have been gaming since duck hunt on the nes in 1988 (I was 10) - back then I was so engrossed in the story. Now all I seem set on is getting the 1k as quick as possible so I can move onto the next.

SSJ3
05-05-2010, 01:34 PM
In a way yes, they have ruined gaming for me. But sometimes games will have achievements for doing something I would have never done.

mosin360
05-05-2010, 01:34 PM
You have a choice to go after the achievements or not. Thats like blaming booze for having a drinking problem. You don't have to do it.

I go after the ones that I find fun. Anything that requires horrible grinding I pass on.

Heybunny
05-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Ive been gaming for as long as I can remember, achievements just enhance the game giving it more replay value. I would always try to complete a game but now with achievements im leaving the games main path to grab collectables, reach high / low points, kill x enemies, find secrets etc all the things you'd ignore if you got nothing for it.

Hurray for achievements!!! :woop:
You have a choice to go after the achievements or not. Thats like blaming booze for having a drinking problem. You don't have to do it.

I go after the ones that I find fun. Anything that requires horrible grinding I pass on.

:whs

As a multi-platform life-long gamer, I'm used to not getting achievements or trophies for games, especially as I'm an avid Zelda/Mario fan. That said, I would love achievements or something similar on those games too. I have OCD and am a perfectionist, so on some games (depending on how much I like them) I try and collect everything, reward or not. I make an effort to get all heart containers in Zelda, all Jiggies/Notes in Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie (Kazooie doesn't reward for all Jiggies and Tooie doesn't for either, achievement-wise) and I try and get all stars/equivalent items in Mario games. I also try and fill my Pokédex on Pokémon games. These things aren't like a grind to me, as I don't need to bug people for boosting or whatever. There's no pressure.

Achievements to me are like +1'ing a game, making a more immersive experience. It's made collecting stuff more worthwhile and gives a level of depth that you might not otherwise see, such as taking different routes to items and finding things out that you may not have seen before. Depending on the game however, the achievements for it could really suck. I too do not purchase "cheap and easy 1k" games because for a :gsicon: fanatic I can see the point, but I don't play games just for achievements, though they are nice when I get them.

But I do see your point - the grind of "winning X matches online" on some games can take the fun out of it, especially if you're not that great at the genre. For instance, although I like fighting games, I suck at remembering all but the most basic combos so it puts me at a disadvantage. Therefore I've decided to get all achievements that I'd get during normal gameplay, or if I can do it while keeping the game fun. If it demands I do something crazy unless you're an expert to get 100%, then I'll be happy with my 97% completion. :D

LLC2003
05-05-2010, 01:49 PM
I have been a multi-platform gamer all my life - I started with the NES, then moved on SNES, N64, PS2..etc. I was never really interested with the original xbox so I had no desire to buy the 360. Due to the endless PS3 launch delays I decided to buy a 360 and see how I got on.

This was my first taste of nex-gen graphics and I was taken aback by rockstar table tennis online play and also the graphics of saints row 1. This was my introduction to the current generation of consoles.

Way before I bought a 360 I used to be similar to the post above - I always used to try and collect everything in mario and in final fantasy I spent 100's of hours levelling up to unlock 'ultimate weapons' - this wasnt grinding to me as I enjoyed the game experience along the way.

When achievements came along it was a different type of experience - I dont mind collecting certain things which add to the experience but the majority of games now require you to win x games online or reach the top rank in mp..etc. These go past enjoying the experience and act as a hurdle for completionists like me to pass.

For example - at the moment I sit at 1480/1500 in GTA IV. Even though its a number it taunts me to say "you haven't completed me yet" At some point I will need to play 1000 games of hangmans noose. Why... well because I would much prefer to see 1500 instead of 1480.

These 100+ hours will be soul destroying boredom that could be spent playing another game I would enjoy - and there is my point. If you are a completionist like me, achievements do ruin your gaming experience.

RuYi
05-05-2010, 03:09 PM
I have never been much of an achievement hunter, I have my 360 for nearly 2 years, and my gamerscore and the completion percentage should speak for themselves. I try to pick up achievements while playing through story mode, but I won't go out of my way to get them.

There was a time when I went on an achievement hunt, but I realised that in the end, there's only one person who cares about my gamerscore, and that's me. And I don't really care about it. The only reason why I suddenly wanted a lot of gamerscore was because I felt like my score was very low compared to others. But that was never my original intention, I just wanted to play games, for fun, not to be the best or anything.

Since then, I continued where I left off, getting achievements as I play, but the ones that are too difficult or time consuming will simply remain locked.
And that's fine with me.

jamie1000013
05-05-2010, 03:56 PM
I think you may have a point all I am thinking of is the gamerscore which is pretty sad lol. Also I can't seem to follow the plots of stories as I have done in the past maybe cheevos are distracting me to much. I seem to have to stop the game and think of how I got up to this point. Which is really annoying maybe I should start playing games I like and just have fun and don't even look at the achievements.

Fixelbucket
05-05-2010, 04:34 PM
I have been playing games for a long time. I can still remember hearing the Super Mario theme from my living room when I got my first NES...

Anywho... I also think achievements are enhancing my gameplay. I am also a completionist. Achievements or not... It's just one extra little reward for my efforts. I would not do anything I wouldn't do without the achievements like MP for example. I don't like getting my rear kicked.

All in all if you can distance yourself from the thought "I have to 100% everything" then achievements are a beautiful thing.

guillermo316
05-05-2010, 04:37 PM
achievement that take fun out of gaming are the one that have you rank to the highest rank, if the ranking system takes a large ammount of hours to complete. IMO

Chris240191
05-05-2010, 04:42 PM
I think that achievements will encourage some people to play a game more than they usually would or even push someone to play a game that they wouldn't otherwise play and that can be a good thing.

I think that if you are not having fun with the games and only wanting achievements then I guess that is down to you. I like to get achievements and I do play some games only for achievements (rent not buy) but I still have fun whilst doing so. So to answer your question no I do not think achievements take the fun out of gaming, I play many games since I have 1000'd them and I also play games for fun whilst knowing I will never get them all but that is fine, I still enjoy to game, I mean what is the point in achievements if you don't like to game right.

Beneath9
05-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Since my Xbox 360/nextgen-gaming hasn't had such a long lifespan yet, I have only just begun to really notice the effects the achievements have on me. In the beginning I wasn't really minding them; they were just there and were kind of fun to look through.

The first game that really got me into the whole achievement-hunting business was COD: Modern Warfare 2, since it features a lot of easy achievements - which were actually fun to do (except those damn Special Ops..). Now I am almost always looking through the achievements of a new game, and yesterday I got talked out of buying Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex since it doesn't have achievements.

I think I see the achievements as a proof of completion and dedication, and since we didn't have it "back then", it wasn't needed. But then again, I like collecting the lovely pictures and seeing my Gamerscore growing, so maybe it isn't that bad? It definitely isn't killing my gaming experience :)

iBlessing 09
05-05-2010, 05:05 PM
I think it's the complete opposite to that, achievements make me play the game to the full. It makes me play things that I wouldn't normally play and most of the time is enjoyable.

sak7395
05-05-2010, 09:29 PM
the annoying ones do like collecting something like intel

njdevils17
05-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Yes and no.

Achievements that require you to do mundane tasks such as collecting a large number of something, playing for a certain number of hours, playing a certain number of games, killing a certain number of enemies, etc. can take the fun out of gaming.

However, achievements that ask you to do strange or fun tasks such as the Little Rocket Man in The Orange Box or completing a level without being seen, etc. adds a fun challenge and extends the life of a game.

Just learn to not let tedious and mundane achievements get the best of you. If you ignore them, you'll be happier. I honestly think people will be happier if they accept that they won't get 1000/1000 in every game.

siamese snake
05-06-2010, 12:35 AM

This I thought hit the nail on the head.Exactly how I see achievements.

Langeboy
05-06-2010, 01:06 AM
It works both ways, achievements can turn into a chore, or it can open new doors for a game your playing. Honestly, I don't care if it's a kids game or not, I play heaps of cheap 1k's. Doesn't bother me at all. Actually last night, I finished Night at the Museum 2, that's a game that, without achievements, I would never touch. But because I wanted this cheap 1k on my gamer-card, I played it and actually loved it. Same with other games, they may be a cheap game, but it can be fun. Also, the same for other games, the achievements will get you to try things you wouldn't do without these achievements. Before achievements, I would never play a game on normal or hard, I'd finish the game on the easy mode and never play again..

Sampson
05-06-2010, 01:47 AM
They haven't for me. I play games purely.... and I mean PURELY for the sake of the fun-o-meter® and not for achievements.

RudeBoy TK
05-06-2010, 02:05 AM
I hate the Online multiplayer Auf wiedersehen petrovish achievement in gta. Dont have any fun more since modders boost in every ranked race :mad::mad::mad:

Madfrog0
05-06-2010, 02:37 AM
i think it adds to it, more replay and getting more out of the games.

Xylon Uxkid
05-06-2010, 02:49 AM
I know how you feel, but the good side is that each game last you longer.

Madfrog0
05-06-2010, 02:53 AM
I know how you feel, but the good side is that each game last you longer.

exactly, i think you get more out of the games..

dakisbac
05-06-2010, 02:57 AM
Dont get my wrong, Achievements are great. They have added so much extra value to my gaming experience.

The issue I have is that achievements have kind of taken over and I am losing my love for the game itself.

I have been gaming since duck hunt on the nes in 1988 (I was 10) - back then I was so engrossed in the story. Now all I seem set on is getting the 1k as quick as possible so I can move onto the next.

This. Nowadays I have to force myself to even start a game (except for games like AC2) just because I know my OCD will force me to play for all the achievements. Games with collectibles/online achievements require an even harder push just because I hate them so much.

Honestly, I've played games to 100% completion ever since I was little, and it was always just for fun and a sense of accomplishment. Now that there are achievements for doing so, it's no longer fun but now a chore. On top of that, it feels like less of an accomplishment just because all the other achievement whores will do it as well, when back in the old days most other people wouldn't bother.

So the answer to your question is yes, at least for me.

LLC2003
05-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Since starting this post and reading all your comments it had made me think about achievements and gaming in general. At the end of the day we all do things for different reasons, we all gain satifaction from different elements in a game experience.

For me the satisfaction lies in seeing completed games on my gamercard and also my completion % creeping up with every achievement I unlock. My ultimate goal is achieve 100% completion. Now in reality this is just a number or a score which no-one really cares about apart from me, but as an individual I find this much more rewarding than just playing endless hours of MP or finishing the story.

Last night I went home, I was tired and I just wanted to relax. Instead of playing ME2 story (still unfinished) I decided to grind out 'Big Ass Chains' MP in SR1 and constantly steal box after box in an effort to finish up the last 10 achievements in SR1. Some people (inc. my missus) finds this odd, but this is where my enjoyement lies.

I guess achievements have changed the way we all game - some good, some bad. But overall providing we enjoy what we do, why should we do anything different.

Vonzipper
05-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Last night I went home, I was tired and I just wanted to relax. Instead of playing ME2 story (still unfinished) I decided to grind out 'Big Ass Chains' MP in SR1 and constantly steal box after box in an effort to finish up the last 10 achievements in SR1. Some people (inc. my missus) finds this odd, but this is where my enjoyement lies.

I guess achievements have changed the way we all game - some good, some bad. But overall providing we enjoy what we do, why should we do anything different.

Here, here :drunk
In response to the actual thread question; I'd say that achievements have put so much more into gaming. Before, I would have no reason to go back through a game for a third or fourth time. It adds so much more playability to a game IMO.

Achievements are called achievements because you actually have to do something to earn them and achieving anything in life is satisfying, be it in real life or in a game.

HopedZER0
05-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Achievements add more fun and frustration to the game, but when you get those extremely hard achievements done you have a sense of great accomplishment that you feel every time you look at your GS.

T FUNK 1984
05-06-2010, 02:07 PM
I think to a certain extent yes achievements have taken the fun out of gaming but in another way they've given me more enjoyment. What I mean is games like King King, TMNT ect. didn't really enjoy them and played them for the points, however games like say Dead Space achievements got me to play it more than once and I've enjoyed each playthrough. If it wasn't for the achievements I wouldn't have played through more than once.

Best thing for me is if I'm playing through a game for achievements (whether I'm enjoying it or not) to also play something just for fun at the same time.

Seraph Xii
05-06-2010, 03:18 PM
I am to some degree. With missable achievements I think "I really CBA to grind that right now, but then if I continue with the game I'll miss it" so I just don't play it, which is stupid but meh.

StephenJ360
05-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Yes, they have. Plain and simple.

Rowey 94
05-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Achievements make my gaming experience 101% much better now. compared to the old PS2. now i can show off what ive accomplished to my friends!

Opiate42
05-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Depends on what you enjoy and they definitely changed how we approach these games. I take any first play of a game now as a "non-hunting" play just to take the story and action as it is and hopefully get consumed by it (Mass Effect comes to mind) or just silly fun (Kung Fu Panda!!). I found I don't enjoy a game much on my first experience if I'm points hunting.

Noticed it before but it really struck me on Bioshock 2 when sitting down first time and playing the game with maps and paying more attention to the audio logs and PTTP stations ... I wasn't even noticing the story. It was too distracting and I was finding the game boring.

Oh hell this is Bioshock 2! Had to smack myself, start over again and just dive in. :rock Gotta say I'm glad I did.

Doing a mop-up playthrough afterward though is great for the victory afterglow.

It's a great reason to replay good games too, challenge yourself at higher difficulties (which I never used to do) or you'd discover different things you didn't notice before. All the variant dialogue from Mass Effect 2 comes to mind.

A ZombieTwinkie
05-06-2010, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't say it takes the fun out of games. If anything, it helps add a different take / multiple replays / a sense of accomplishment on a game. I can still fire up my NES or SNES and still play the games I enjoy, just as much as I could throw in Guitar Hero or Call of Duty and play/enjoy/achievement hunt. Kind of makes me wonder how the gaming world would be if Achievements never came to be.

sk83rty
05-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Well, I've gotten 2500 GS in the past 2 weeks and some of that time (ever since the Reach Beta came out) I haven't earned any, but that's just in the last 2 weeks. I'm starting to really get into it but it's something I can stop at any time. Play some other console too because games are meant to be fun. I would like my completion % to be higher, but I'm not going to not enjoy my games just to get way over 41%.

One thing I'd suggest is if you want to just enjoy a game, make an offline profile and play it on that so it won't mess up your percentage. That way, if you only get 5 achievements on a game that was pretty fun, you don't have to spend hours killing yourself for completion.

lordthrash
05-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Actually no. By 100% a game i see things i normally would not. I don't fail games or lose on purpose so i never saw these things. With achievements i see a game in its whole!!

Poida
05-07-2010, 12:29 AM
Dont think so. If theres achievements I cant get then I avoid them and finish the game regardless.

Spencer Estate
05-07-2010, 12:48 AM
I don't think so. I play games for achievements which was actually more fun than playing games without them.

I still go back and play all of the Resident Evil games, however.

That SAM Guy
05-07-2010, 12:52 AM
I personally like achievements except for the ones that require excessive grinding. I don't like it when DLC comes out and messes up the completion %, But that alone is not enough for me to go back and play it again. Although I wish that if you didn't have the DLC that it would still count as a completed game and only show the achievements if you compare with someone who has it.
I always shoot for a perfect 1k but if the game doesn't hold my interest long enough then it's out the door. If the game is really enjoyable I'll play to 1k and beyond. Some of these easy 1k games you'd have to pay me to play.

Starstrukk X360A
05-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Not really, I mean, I play any game I get first normally, and then if I have the time and have nothing better to do, aim at the achievements.

They add to the replayability, personally.
Although I'm sure there are people here that need to tackle them first.

xI C0uch P0tat0
05-07-2010, 02:27 AM
I like getting achievements but I keep telling myself that if a game has an achievement or achievements that are hard, frustrating, time consuming, etc I will not try and get it. I want to enjoy the games while getting the achievements. I don't want to waste my time, having zero fun just for achievements. Completion percentage means nothing to me as well.

PointPlaceWI
05-07-2010, 02:33 AM
I never played a hard mode on a game before achievements because hard modes pissed me off if I couldn't beat them without dying so achievements have made me a better gamer in my opinion. Either that or just a more patient one.

LLC2003
05-07-2010, 12:54 PM
I understand all your views. For me achievements have

- Increased the value I get out of a game (50 hours compared to 5)
- Increased my patience - tackling insanity mode or clearing every level
of peggle is something I would have never done before
- Ability to explore the whole game world - AC flags or GTA pigeons
- Push myself harder - completed expert drums on RB1 and RB2

The problem I have is aimed at the completely mindless soul destroying achievements, achievements that require you to do something which go way past any of the points above, way past enjoyment.

100,000 kills isn Gow2 - 20-30 hours of boredom
Rank 10 in GTAIV - 100 hours of boredom
Gold medalist in Virtua Tennis 09 - 60 hours of boredom... (+many more)

I understand that I can leave these and pass on any achievement, but seeing a 980/1000 on my gamercard would leave me feeling unsatisfied, hence I have to grind out and ruin my experience.

Achievements are great for many reasons, but I think would I enjoy the 'gaming experience' more if they didnt exist.

radar616
05-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Well, I havent been achievement chasing in a while. But I do agree with what people are saying about the soul destorying ones. They really can put you off achievements. Still I like what Steam are doing with achievements.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/9230/achih.png (http://img687.imageshack.us/i/achih.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

CodSteaks
05-07-2010, 07:44 PM
i'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP, but i just don't let it bother me too much if an achievement is too outrageous or mind numbing. like with gears of war: i like to 100% games, but there's no way i'm going to grind out 10,000 kills unless i really get in to the mp experience. i definitely don't plan to boost it. it's bad enough to shoot for 10k kills, but to do it by just repeatedly doing the same mind numbing killing/being killed just to get that count up? no thanks.

the biggest change it's made for me is i will now play a game on the hardest setting from the get go. i used to play on an easier level to experience the game without frustration, with the intention of going back to play it on the harder settings, but i would rarely get around to playing through again like i meant to. now i have a reason.

like a lot of people have said, the games are still fun, especially if you don't play from the start with the sole purpose of collecting achievements. let yourself experience the game, too.

i'm a little nervous about long games, though. i'm planning on playing through fallout 3 soon, but with a game of that length, i don't really want to have to play through again if i miss achievements, but i also don't want to focus so much on the achievements that i miss the joy of the game. hopefully i can find a comfortable middle ground.

BlackTitan666
05-07-2010, 07:49 PM
no some achievements are really fun to do but the time consuming ones suck

SnakeIntheboX
05-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Some games packed with collectibles can break and fail to unlock achievements, bully and condemned come to mind.

Wintallica
05-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Achievement always give me a sense of fullfilment, but I do miss the old days with the original xbox.

it4chii
05-11-2010, 05:39 PM

The problem I have is aimed at the completely mindless soul destroying achievements, achievements that require you to do something which go way past any of the points above, way past enjoyment.

I understand that I can leave these and pass on any achievement, but seeing a 980/1000 on my gamercard would leave me feeling unsatisfied, hence I have to grind out and ruin my experience.

Achievements are great for many reasons, but I think would I enjoy the 'gaming experience' more if they didnt exist.

I agree with all the points made above. I recently tried to play Resident Evil 5 after a string of 100% Completions, fully intent on earning yet another - but I couldn't bring myself to get past the first chapter of that game. I just couldn't stand the game - it was basically the same game as RE4 (which I thoroughly enjoyed on the Wii.) Granted that's a pretty subjective statement to make, but there was literally nothing to hold me early on, and I couldn't see myself spending 35 hours on it when I could be playing through a game I actually enjoy thoroughly. So does it suck that theres a 5/1000 score on my GC? Yeah it really does, but to me, I know I would have negatively impacted my passion for gaming and just frustrated myself endlessly with an awkward control scheme and nonsensical Japanese game development - and the effect of that would have been LESS gaming, which should never be the effect of any amount of time spent gaming!

My advice to everyone out there is the resolution I made to myself then and there. If I truly love a game, (ME2, Batman: AA, Halo: ODST, etc.) I will play it 100% as a way of saying to others 'hell yes I think this game is awesome and I want to get the full value out of it'. If I don't immediately love a game and get hooked, then I'll play enough to make a more informed decision about whether I'm going to go for it or not, or just drop it right then and there (like I did on RE5).

Note: Yes I hated RE5, but I understand that a lot of people liked it, I'm not judging you for liking it or anything in specific I decried above, so don't get all up in mah face and derail the thread, it was just an example. Dead Space is another - good game, but I got to a point about 3/4 of the way through that I'd seen everything it had to offer and I didn't care enough to keep playing. And I'm pretty happy I made that decision. I hope you all become happier with yours!

chiliflamingo
05-11-2010, 10:03 PM
I love retro games but since getting my 360 and getting the gamerscore fever I've lost a bit of love for the older games. It's actually a bit weird now to play a game, even a great one, on an older console and to not have 'Achievement Unlocked' pop up whenever you finish a level. I think it's something to do with the fact that if I were to complete everything in, eg. Final Fantasy VII on the PlayStation 1, get every summon, defeat every Weapon, spend upwards of 100 hours grinding - nobody will know about it. On the 360, I spent an afternoon getting 'Mile High Club' on the first Modern Warfare just so I could brag about it to a friend who thinks he's brilliant at shooters. Maybe I'm just insane, because I didn't enjoy getting that achievement, it certainly wasn't fun, but I felt so satisfied and proud afterwards that I regarded it as time well spent.

ReaLiStiiC
05-11-2010, 11:02 PM
I like how the achievement system works as 'Bragging Rights' before the only way they could believe that you accomplished X or Y, is if they saw your save, or you had evidence.

I think it adds another level and more challenge to a game, also some of the achievements make you go places that you probably would have never checked if the achievement didn't tell you to do so. I think it slightly ruins the game but the benefits are larger then the negatives.

F Swan
05-11-2010, 11:36 PM

This is exactly how I feel.

I do think they have helped me see alot more of games though, even if I wish they scrapped those stupid collectible achievements.
I actually play games on harder difficulties, how many people would really force themselves through Veteran modes on the Call Of Dutys or stress their way through Mile High without getting an achievement for it.

I spent many many hours to get 90 Stars on Mirror's Edge sometimes hours just on 1 time trial ... crazy really.

But then on the flip side, I'm not even sure I play for fun like I used to.
I mean I played Medal Of Honor Allied Assault on PC for years online, then that was replaced with COD 2. And all that was just for fun, playing online games with the community.

Now my fun with games has changed, and its more of a challenge than actual fun, although it is satisfying getting hard GS and again 100% a game.

Thinking about it though I did 100% scan and collect everything On Metroid Prime on the Gamecube all for nothing to show for it!

Always Ready
05-13-2010, 04:57 PM
They haven't taken the fun out of it for me, because I dont buy or rent games for achivements there something I think about after i've had my fun with campaigh and things like that and if the games fun ill go get them. But achivements hold some of the fun in games for me.

discomartin
05-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Achievements have added another dimension to games for me. They give me a reason to play for longer, or to replay a game that I otherwise might not have. I don't go after ones that are too much of a drag to bother with but a good, simple set of achievements greatly adds to a game for me.

TakahashiDemon
05-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Only long achievements that are like doing the same thing over and over again take the fun out of it.

I like most achievements though, some are fun and challenging to get.

Perfection I
05-14-2010, 03:32 PM
I'd say Achievements have made gaming 100% better. It offers more gameplay to a game on PS2 id finish a game and thats it but with Achievements it makes me do everything. Achievements are also great for finding awesome games. I would of never bought Borderlands but my friends say its a easy 1k so i went out bought it and now its one of my favorite 360 games. And the feeling of getting a hard achievement beats completing a game easily.

Ashes in Fall
05-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Not really to be honest. For me achievements give me a stolid reason to continue playing a game. However, I only go for achievements in games that I like because I like collecting things. I don't like how some games are just out there and are only played for gamerscore.

mmartynn
05-14-2010, 06:01 PM
in a way it has. i dont really like playing games now unless there are achievements to be earned. there are some reaaly good games i will play recardless of achies (like fallout 3 and devil may cry on the ps2) but yeh, it has taken the fun out abit. plus i like the ability to brag what ive done in a game :P

Ashes in Fall
05-14-2010, 06:14 PM
in a way it has. i dont really like playing games now unless there are achievements to be earned. there are some reaaly good games i will play recardless of achies (like fallout 3 and devil may cry on the ps2) but yeh, it has taken the fun out abit. plus i like the ability to brag what ive done in a game :P

Guess it just depends on the person. If a game has retarded cheeves, I'm let down, but I'll still play it.