PDA

View Full Version : Breakout

xhunterrrr
05-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Does anyone find this game horrid on the Xbox 360? I miss almost every single ball because its fucking impossible to fine tune your motions.

halfiepint
05-05-2010, 04:54 PM
I wonder if the madcatz gamestick would help, since it has a knob? Then again I've read bad reviews on that controller

KeepEmRolling
05-05-2010, 05:53 PM
i agree absolutely. i was really excited to see breakout among the new releases for this pack. that lasted for approximately .098 seconds when i realized it would have stick control.

after trying the demo, i find the control broken which makes it almost unplayable. some day, someone HAS to make a spinner/paddle controller for these games.

sweatdog
05-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Yes! I still enjoy digging out my old 2600 just to play some Kaboom! and Breakout. I miss the old paddle controllers!

nnaatteedd
05-05-2010, 07:43 PM
I bought arkanoid on the arcade and have played every incarnation of this game. Somehow though I don't remember it sucking so badly. I push left and the paddle either doesnt move or flashes to the right before slowly making its way back left. The ball tries hard to start as far away from the paddle as possible. And the freaking paddle is like the size of my pinky. I am so disappointed that after all the delay they would let this come out like that...............

KeepEmRolling
05-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Yes! I still enjoy digging out my old 2600 just to play some Kaboom! and Breakout. I miss the old paddle controllers!

ah, Kaboom!....such an awesome game and once you get in the zone, it's an absolute rush :woop:

if this is released in a Game Room pack, it'll be worthless with stick control....sooo....how bout that paddle controller!!!!! :Bounce:

Comatose
05-05-2010, 10:49 PM
yeah i agree that this sucks with these controls. Its virtually impossible to keep going at all.
If you dont move the paddle before the first serve, it glitches and jumps to a random side of the screen, then you either over shoot or undershoot catching the ball because the controls without a paddle suck!
Games like this in game room will always be down the creek without a "paddle".

KeepEmRolling
05-05-2010, 11:06 PM
yeah i agree that this sucks with these controls. Its virtually impossible to keep going at all.
If you dont move the paddle before the first serve, it glitches and jumps to a random side of the screen, then you either over shoot or undershoot catching the ball because the controls without a paddle suck!
Games like this in game room will always be down the creek without a "paddle".

lol...indeed! to put a little more light on how badly the control sucks, i've seen someone say they got a score of 54 iirc. with a paddle controller, you'd be clearing board after board, not just a few dozen bricks.

UnarmedReaper07
05-05-2010, 11:55 PM
I used to play something similar to "Breakout", but this game kind of sucks. The paddle is too small. I miss mostly all the time, because of this. Has anyone also noticed that only "1" brick is destroyed every time? The version I played had multiple bricks destroyed if the paddle hits the ball at the right angle. I still bought the game, but I'll keep on trying to get all gold in it.

Bonkekook
05-06-2010, 02:45 AM
I'm ticked. I came so close to Gold my first time, and I can't get near it since, lol.

IAMTHEBISHOP
05-06-2010, 04:00 AM
The controlles are horrible for this game I wonder If the 360 steering wheel would work

ThingWitch
05-06-2010, 10:46 AM
I agree. Played the demo with high expectations but was totally let down by the poor control. It's a shame cause this was the only new game i was really looking forward to. And while i also agree that the paddle is way too small i assume that's how it originally was, and i respect that are trying to keep everything exactly the same. Still, the complete lack of control doesn't do it any favours.

Ooyah
05-06-2010, 11:50 AM
I too agree with all of this. I was intending to just buy it but, for some reason, I decided to try the demo first. So glad that I did. Virtually un-playable. Also, I couldn't believe how small the bat is!!! Was it really always that size?

All I can say is, let's hope for an arcade perfect Arkanoid 2: Doh's Revenge. :)

MACdanstaface
05-06-2010, 01:24 PM
I managed to get over 200 - so I won't ever touch the game again... I regret not trying the demo first. Nice waste of 240MS pts. In retrospect I could have got the Pitfall! avatar item and enjoy it more.

Just for fun, the paddle actually gets smaller if you manage to get the ball on top of the brick wall (in the double paddle mode).

Hawaiian
05-06-2010, 05:24 PM
I also bought Breakout and didn't even manage to get the bronze medal in point buster. Nevertheless I think this game is perfect for "Spend 36 hours total playing games in your arcade" achievement, isn't it? Each time you lose a life you can wait as long as you want until you press "A" to get a new ball. I've tried this for 5 minutes and it worked without problems. Or does it pause after 10 minutes without moving or s.th.? I'll have to give it a try.

VegaDark541
05-06-2010, 05:33 PM
I agree, I just bought this and was shocked at how bad the controls are. If you just slightly move the stick there's a high chance of going way further than you want and miss the ball, not to mention the glitch where your paddle moves to the other side of the screen randomly at the start of level sometimes. This is going to be tough to get the point buster gold.

MACdanstaface
05-06-2010, 06:29 PM
I also bought Breakout and didn't even manage to get the bronze medal in point buster. Nevertheless I think this game is perfect for "Spend 36 hours total playing games in your arcade" achievement, isn't it? Each time you lose a life you can wait as long as you want until you press "A" to get a new ball. I've tried this for 5 minutes and it worked without problems. Or does it pause after 10 minutes without moving or s.th.? I'll have to give it a try.

Since I wasn't going to play enough to get the gold time spender, I just played on classic mode and watched a movie. Just moved right/left once in a while, and I got over 2 hrs worth of play.

You can easily get the 36hrs chievo with this game

halfiepint
05-06-2010, 07:11 PM
I don't know if this will help or not, but the turbo controller I bought for the time achievements, its D-pad has a little better control than the regular xbox controller. Now I'm scoring more like 10 instead of 1.

Amazon.com: Xbox 360 Pad EX 2 with Turbo - Blue: Video Games

This was the controller I was talking about earlier, which I'm on the fence about getting because it has a knob:

Amazon.com: Madcatz Arcade GameStick for Xbox 360: Video Games

Has anyone tried to use that controller and does it help?

GS17259
05-07-2010, 06:15 AM
You might try a usb mouse maybe that would help. After playing it for a little while the control got easier but still its pretty touchy

halfiepint
05-07-2010, 02:25 PM
will a USB mouse plug into the xbox 360 and function as a controller?

segs gsi
05-08-2010, 01:29 PM
man...why didn't i check the demo for this game first.....i remember breakout as one of my favorite retro games so as soon as i heard it was coming out i nearly wet myself,got it on day 1 as soon as it was available.....what a let down..in future i am gonna check out demo first on all new games,cus it seems that a few games don't convert over well to the 360.can only get to around 160 points cus of reasons you all know,if i could just get my ball through to the top row i think that would get me well over the 200 mark

MACdanstaface
05-08-2010, 01:35 PM
if i could just get my ball through to the top row i think that would get me well over the 200 mark

I don't know about "well over", but I did get over 210 that way... Once - and I don't plan on ever playing that game gain

VegaDark541
05-10-2010, 02:10 PM
will a USB mouse plug into the xbox 360 and function as a controller?

Nope, I just tried.

D00mM4r1n3
05-10-2010, 05:04 PM
I used the spinner on a gamestick and it still sucks. The spinner is the equivalent of simply tapping left or right on the analog stick. Sometimes it moves a little smoothly, but most of the time it still jumps half an inch in either direction making fine movement control impossible.

MasterHook
05-11-2010, 10:03 PM
I thought it was just that i sucked at this game. it makes me feel better knowing no one is really good at this game because of the controls. i used to be pretty good at breakout and super breakout and i remember the bar being bigger that then that also it would only start out that small if you switched it to expert difficulty

Skode
05-12-2010, 10:31 PM
I can live with the controls being crap but i actually threw my controller across the room as i got so frustrated at having to second guess where each new ball is going to appear from... i mean its not easy with the controls but when it appears on the opposite side of the screen randomly from where it did last time means ive not even got the silver surviver medal yet and its starting to grate on me - its the only arcade game ive bought so far (and ive downloaded 19) that ive struggled with and im struggling really badly :mad:

Comatose
05-13-2010, 01:46 PM
OMG! after days of complaining about how much this games controls sucks and trying to beat my friends high score, because i cant stand to see someone elses name above my cabinets, i just had the luckiest and best game ever! And it put me straight at number 1 on the leader board with 1,391 points!
Watch the replay and see what happened at the end and how lucky i got!

Its ironic that me and my friend had said earlier today that i have yet to see a replay where someone cleared all the bricks on a level, well thats what i did, and it was in double paddle mode, so one of my balls was on its way down when all the bricks reloaded and it hit a brick and shot it back up to the top which sent it on a massive score rack up because there was no way i could lose a ball with a fresh set up bricks and my ball on top of them! It did its work while i kept my second ball alive on the bottom, which in hindsight, i should have just dropped the second ball and let the one doing all the work on its own go at it...score woulda been higher...talk about luck tho!

Psymox
05-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Oh my days... what a bad game. I got lucky just to get the bronze score buster. I have the Mad Catz arcade stick as well but thats just as bad and the spinner is so slow. If only I had a mouse :-(

@Comatose, I just saw your replay. Good job on that. I bet you were happy when your ball was trapped at the top. Good stuff!

ApochWeiss
05-19-2010, 05:43 AM
Oh my god I've been working at it now since I bought it last week and it's pissing me off. I managed to get the silver point buster medal but barely crack 150 points if that for the gold. Everything else is gold in that game though. I can't stand the controls and the freezing issues the game has. I'm always missing the damned ball cause of them.

edit:
Scratch that. I just nailed 242 points :D Got all gold, time to be rid of this monstrosity!

For those having trouble like I did, press B when you load up a ranked match, then serve. TRY to get the ball between the two rows at least three times and you should be golden.