PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Let's Plays?

sk83rty
05-06-2010, 07:25 PM
I searched and there wasn't a topic for this so I thought I'd make one. A video game Let's Play or LP is a project where somebody plays through entire games and records all the gameplay (usually with commentary) and uploads it to sites such as YouTube.

I was just curious if there were any big 360 LP'ers on here, because I've been looking for people who do that kind of thing lately. I'd like to check everybody's stuff out.

Personally, I do LP's, but I've only completed one for 360 (Halo ODST) and I'm working on a second (Fable II) It's something I really like to do in my free time. I record them for almost every console.

Here's a link to part 1 of my ODST playthrough if anybody is interested:

YouTube- Halo 3: ODST Co-op Campaign- Part 1

So yeah, feel free to talk about LP's all you want and post your stuff.

Cable Player
05-06-2010, 07:30 PM
I think they are very good, as they can help people understand the game more, see the true graphics and help them out for completing them.
I aim to do something along the lines of an LP in the near future.

sk83rty
05-06-2010, 07:32 PM
If you want help getting started with LP's, you can ask me any questions. Btw, my ODST playthrough doesn't have commentary unlike some of my other stuff. I did co-op on it with a friend the week it came out.

Cable Player
05-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Sure, If I remember I'll drop you a PM. I am going to get a decent capture card when I can, and probly even sign up to bungie pro when reach is released :)

Conquer59
05-06-2010, 08:11 PM
It's a good idea, I just need a cap card, but when I get one u can count me in

Xylon Uxkid
05-06-2010, 08:15 PM
What equipment you use ( capture card and any other stuff)?? I've been thinking about getting one, but Im not sure which one to get.

domn8rdom
05-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Alright now this is something I could do when I get my hd cap card. I have a dazzle but I love playing on my hd and hate going to a shitty tv just to record some gameplay with my dazzle

DarthSoth
05-06-2010, 08:48 PM
This is something I could likely get into. I've just started to record stuff and upload it to youtube lately. Mostely just the odd level or small things that I think may be helpful. I definitely don't have a good setup for it right now though. I have a small sort of crappy camcorder that I have tripoded and then just shoot the tv. So the picture is less that stellar. same for the sound. And uploading long videos to my laptop tends to give me issues. Another thing that is kind of lame is the new youtube 10 minute video thing. need to shoot in 10 minute chunks I guess? For me that is not sooo bad since 10-20 minutes of fliming seems to upload well to my LT but that would be a real pain in the ass for full game shoots I would think.

sak7395
05-06-2010, 10:21 PM
i am really lost what is let plays

Cable Player
05-06-2010, 10:25 PM

Basically you capture your gameplay of you going from start to finnish through an entire game or gametype. Commentaries are often used ontop of the videos.

Filter x360a
05-06-2010, 10:30 PM

It's just a video walk through dude.

sk83rty
05-06-2010, 11:53 PM
It's just a video walk through dude.

Not quite a walkthrough, but it could be taken as one. A LP is a playthrough of a game (in more or less legit ways, depending on the particular LP) What I'm trying to say, is a walkthrough would cover all the levels of a game without skipping anything and often goes to 100%. In a LP, you don't have to do every single task unless you really want to.

Take Super Mario World for example: If I was to go through the game fast using the Star Road (a shortcut world to skip most of the levels if you wish to) it could for sure qualify as a LP, but a walkthrough would have me showing where all 96 exits are. In many cases though, a LP can be used as a walkthrough, but it really just depends on what the player recording it does.

A LP is really just a playthrough recorded of a game from start to finish, no matter how it's done. And a lot of people like to put in commentary for their LP's and narrate it to make it more interesting.

oO CurrY Oo
05-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Imo its not a let's play unless there is voice commentary.

Cable Player
05-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Imo its not a let's play unless there is voice commentary.

I suppose your right there, but the OP did a reasonable job anyways :)

Io Haze oI
05-07-2010, 09:01 AM
I would like to do some LP's in the future but I can't afford some of the equipment, one LPer I really enjoy watching is OverTheGun whose MGS1 playthrough I recommend.

Tussell
05-07-2010, 09:03 AM
I can understand the concept of a montage, however, this just seems a bit over-the-top. I mean, just my opinion, but when I'm at a friends house or something, I don't normally enjoy watching others play video games when I'm not playing them. That being said, I don't enjoy it any more behind a computer screen in the comfort of my own home. :p

RuYi
05-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Sometimes they're nice, when you're lost or you don't know what to do at a specific part. Commentary can be annoying, though some people had funny or helpful comments, and then it's a plus.

I'm not really into it, I made a few for the special missions in AC2, the DLC for Mass Effect 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction, but that's pretty much it.

Cable Player
05-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I can understand the concept of a montage, however, this just seems a bit over-the-top. I mean, just my opinion, but when I'm at a friends house or something, I don't normally enjoy watching others play video games when I'm not playing them. That being said, I don't enjoy it any more behind a computer screen in the comfort of my own home. :p

A valid point.
I did this to my friend the other day. He and his parents came over for tea and he was sat there for 3 hours watching me finnish the 100% on GTA IV!
He was helpin me though sorta because I could not find the missing 'thing to do'. He was watching me, but he helped me figure out what to do.

But I agree with what you said, when things tend to drag on I get very bord!

Buy hey- LP's are suited to people who like LP's! (If that really makes any sense!)

sk83rty
05-07-2010, 01:33 PM

I can understand that. LP's are more for people interested in them I suppose. But, many LP'ers that are successful are really good at the games and do all kinds of awesome things that would interest the viewer, or are so good at commentary that it entertains and people will watch their video just for that. My commentary skills aren't the best right now but I'm trying to learn...

oO CurrY Oo
05-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Hey sk83rty what do you use to record your voice? I already have a Hauppauge hd pvr and i was thinking about making an LP for Alan Wake when thats out.

sk83rty
05-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Hey sk83rty what do you use to record your voice? I already have a Hauppauge hd pvr and i was thinking about making an LP for Alan Wake when thats out.

I just have a mic that's plugged into my laptop while my capture card is running. I got it at wal mart for about $10.

oO CurrY Oo
05-07-2010, 04:42 PM
I just have a mic that's plugged into my laptop while my capture card is running. I got it at wal mart for about $10.

Without any extra programs? I have Tritton Axpro's so im good for the mic.

sk83rty
05-09-2010, 05:10 AM
Well I just run mine on Windows Movie Maker, but there's other stuff you can use. Generally I don't like that program very much, but I'm used to using it for my audio.

ReaLiStiiC
05-09-2010, 05:19 AM
I haven't seen alot of those lately, but I don't usually need to use those, I want to get a capture card to do stuff like this, but Don't have a computer for myself, or one near my xbox to hook it up.

GhOsT SLaYeR
05-09-2010, 05:20 AM
I have a cap card, but currently my program screws up and doesn't let me change format of video :( so can only post raw video onto youtube