PDA

View Full Version : Pitfall! fans, did you get the avatar item?

MACdanstaface
05-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Just a(nother?) totally useless thread:

I think it's the best game I've played in GR so far (and Tuthankam comes right after).

The avatar item is really cool, the little guy runs around, then comes across a croc. You hold a string so he can swing over the croc.

The only thing is, I feel it's pretty hard to spend 240 MS pts for that, considering its the price to get a full game.

Anybody else got it/is thinking about getting it?

pinata242
05-07-2010, 03:13 PM
No. Those things need to be Avatar Awards. Either for buying the game (like the in-Game-Room Mascot) or for getting all Gold Medals in the title.

The thing is, those Avatar items (shirts, hats, props, etc) are advertising to other people. If MS/Krome were smart, they'd realize that the Mascots they give us for early adoption are cool, but confined to the GR space that only I see or in the rare case someone visits my arcade.

They want me advertising publicly. Be it a gamercard on some website or in some forum signature or in a highly visible online space like 1 vs. 100.

MACdanstaface
05-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Good point for the advertising thing. Plus, I'm all for free avatar items - unfortunately, I don't see it happening in the near future.

Call me obtuse, but I have a hard time - as a matter of principle - paying for those things. Again, especially given the fact that for 240MS pts I can get a game...

CodSteaks
05-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Call me obtuse, but I have a hard time - as a matter of principle - paying for those things. Again, especially given the fact that for 240MS pts I can get a game...

i totally agree. i don't know if i will ever pay for something just to have my avatar look different. i love the idea of avatar awards as unlockables in games or as incentive for preorders or something, but the whole idea of paying for avatar items just irks me.

KeepEmRolling
05-07-2010, 05:18 PM
I almost got the Pitfall prop....but yeah, it's just way too much. I ended up getting another game for my arcade instead. I think avatar items should, for the most part, be unlockable within the game they're for. A game that does a nice job with avatar awards is L4D2. I wish more games would do the same.

MACdanstaface
05-07-2010, 08:54 PM
BTW: just curious to know

Does having the avatar item change the animation for challenges? Or anything in the arcade when you/friends are walking around?

linktriforce007
05-07-2010, 10:35 PM

Does having the avatar item change the animation for challenges? Or anything in the arcade when you/friends are walking around?

I got the avatar item for all the games, and didn't get anything different

pinata242
05-07-2010, 10:52 PM

No, props don't show up in games or any non-dashboard application.

segs gsi
05-08-2010, 01:23 PM
i have never bought an avatar item before as i think they are way over priced and agree with KeepEmRolling that there should be alot more games that support unlocking free avatar items,but i saw pitfall harry and i just couldn't resist so i actually paid the 240ms points for it as harry is one cool dude and i like pitfall.the avatar items i have on were free unlockable from dead to rights retribution.